Thinkin' of sellin' the busa...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
I posted about this on another board, too, and instead of retypin' the whole thing I'm cuttin' and pastin' what I wrote there. This board is full of experience and wisdom so I thought I'd go ahead and tap into this resource, too. Read this and see if my thinkin' makes sense. I've all but convinced myself that this is the way to go for now, as hard as it will be...

Below is cut & pasted from the other board...

The busa I have now was/is my first sport bike. I went against good advice and bought the busa instead of a smaller bike for two reasons. #1 was that it fit me best out of all the sport bikes I tried. I'm a big guy (read fat ass) and the busa's size and riding position just plain fit me better. #2 was styling. I thought, and still think that the busa is one of the sexiest lookin' bikes on the planet. The looks were still secondary to fit though.

When I first got the busa I argued with the folks who recommended that new riders, or first time sport riders go with a smaller bike. My thinking was that they were only basing this recommendation on power alone. My argument was that any bike will only go as fast as you tell it to. Well, I now know that it was about a LOT more than just too much power.

I've learned from experience that while the busa's size, wheelbase, and weight contribute greatly to it's straightline stability, top end smoothness and open road performance, these factors do NOT contribute much to stability or maneuverability in low speed maneuvers and tight, low speed corners. Also, while the busa can in fact be fast in the corners with a good rider, I now believe the same factors mentioned above make the busa a less than ideal bike to learn to be a fast rider in the twisties.

Since the busa is so sweet and so stable at speed, that's where my skills have developed. I'm pretty confident (although nowhere near fast) in mild to moderate twisty ridin' and prolly a little overconfident on sweepers and open road but I'm finding that my low speed turning skills and tight turn skills are not near what they should be because I don't practice them on the busa. It's weight and fear of droppin' it (ouch $$$$$$$) keeps me from gettin' out and practicin' the skills that I'm weakest in.

So, I'm thinkin' about sellin' the busa and gettin' a lighter, more agile bike for a while. I fully intend to end up back on a busa eventually because I love the thing. I just believe that my ridin' skills will progress and be better rounded out in the long run if I go this route for a while. Instead of startin' small and workin' up, it looks like I may have started at the top (size and power wise) and be headed toward workin' my way down, at least temporarily.

I looked at some bikes today. Nothin' better to do while it was rainin'. I'm thinkin' about goin' with a litre bike. I'm droppin' some weight but I'm still big at this point and I want somethin' that will still give me a speed and power fix occasionally. Again, I also feel fairly confident with the power of the busa. I'm not droppin' size to get rid of excess power, I just want a lighter, more agile ride. I'm just afraid that a 600 would be a little too anemic with my big ass on it until I drop all of the weight I wanna lose.

I haven't rode a 1k bike yet, just sat on 'em and flicked 'em around a little on the dealer floor several times in the past few weeks. It is unbelieveable how much lighter and maneuverable they feel than the busa. If you flick the busa back and forth while standin', you'd better have good footing and strong legs if you don't wanna lay it on it's side. When the heavyweight king gets movin' in any direction the momentum wants to keep it goin'! The 1k feels like I could lay it over and stop it at any point between straight up and the floor without problems. I haven't layed them over that far for obvious reasons, I'm just sayin' that's how it feels.

Any thoughts on this? There's a LOT of good experience on this board when it comes to ridin' so I thought I'd tap into it if I may. Should I just suck it up and force myself to learn on the busa, or is goin' with a more agile and maneuverable bike, learning to really ride, and then goin' back to a busa actually the better option I'm thinkin' it is?
rock.gif

FWIW, I absolutely HATE the idea of givin' up Da' Train. The comfort, smoothness and stability is great. It's just that I want to improve and round out my ridin' skills and I just don't think I'm gonna do that on the busa. Not as long as the size and weight intimidate me and keep me from practicin' the low speed stuff.

Yer thoughts?

So, ummm, yer thoughts?
rock.gif

rock.gif

Bt what about picking up a 10 year old 600 like a katana for cheap and keeping the busa?
I understand that the weight and size can be hindering your learning, thats what i tell guys here that wanna start off with a big bike, but since you already have it and would take a sizable hit in selling it why not save $2500 buy a katana or honda F3 and go out and practice on that and still have the busa when you wanna ride it.

Is that a possibility?

Honestly BRO, NO BS, NO HYPE... Along with the Busa's superior Comfort, stability and weight come one thing... Forgiveness!!!! Dude I honestly believe a younger pess experianced rider is far more likely to FUG themselves up on a modern 1000 than on the Busa. Yeah they are more flickable, but the cost is stability ESPECIALLY AT HIGH SPEED or even just at Interstate speeds... The Busa is relaxed and steady, the liter bikes, By their nature are going to require far more delicate inputs...

Seriously, I think your safer on a Busa than ANY modern liter Bike... I have seen two guys here in town have their asses handed to them by their litre bikes, Too wheelie prone, to easy to get slap happy, they are Race reps, and they handle and act like it.

If you really want to improve your riding skills, just find an old CBR 600F2, and take that bitch to the track, you'll be much better off and you'll learn more in a few weekends and maybe a track school than you would in a few years of riding any bike on the street... Promise...

So Bite the uh...Bullet, and just find a beater 600 to improve on for a few months... Riding schools will certainly help as well bro. As a bonus, a 600 would also give you something to paint on as well. Win, Win!!!

and if you got another bike you could take pics of it for us
then more pics of it next to your busa then pics of it in your paint shop
then pics your your scratches on it from practicing your maneuverability skills
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|atticdog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1087348754 -->

Bt what about picking up a 10 year old 600 like a katana for cheap and keeping the busa?
I understand that the weight and size can be hindering your learning, thats what i tell guys here that wanna start off with a big bike, but since you already have it and would take a sizable hit in selling it why not save $2500 buy a katana or honda F3 and go out and practice on that and still have the busa when you wanna ride it.

Is that a possibility?
I can't see bein' able to afford a second bike right now. If I could figure out a way to do that I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't wanna give up the busa. It's just that I can't afford two bikes, no matter now cheap the second one is. Tags, insurance, maintainance, tires, etc for two bikes just ain't in the budget right now. I may end up with a 600 or possibly a gixxer750 instead of a 1k. I dunno yet. I'm pretty sure two bikes ain't in the cards though.
drooling3.gif

Heh, Great minds think alike Atticdog... OK OK Pretty good minds anyway...
laugh.gif

Yea i can see the expense but
price of the bike tags minimum insurance( here is like $100 a year)
600 tires last a long time
forget alot of maintainance just change the oil once in awhile

The Busa is relaxed and steady, the liter bikes, By their nature are going to require far more delicate inputs...
Yeah, I know it'd be a different ridin' experience. I also think that learnin' to ride a 1k would make everything on a busa a piece of cake when I come back to one. If I start out slowly and learn to control the 1k beast and it's quirks it should make me a better rider in the end. You're right, it's a race set-up. That's what I want to learn to control. Once I can control that, most anything on the busa should be a piece of cake. Make sense?
rock.gif

I think I'm finally findin' my ranking in the pecking order now and figurin' out what my limitations are. The limitations I'm bumpin' into, I just don't see myself gettin' past on the busa...

Well... Bulletrain...  Bro, it sounds kinda like you have allready made up your mind...  Though I still think a few track days and a Good Racing school will help you get past this.  Besides, the Busa isn't designed for low speed, tight conditions anyway, it's a big ole' mutha designed for the fast sweepers and seriously fun top end.  This last Sunday I spent all day wrestling the Busa through 90deg 20MPH corners, it's not Ideal conditions for the Busa, but it gets through all the same.   I dunno, you go do what you have to do Bro, just don't think that because you sell your Busa, that your off the hook for photos and such around here...  
wink.gif

I kinda think you missed my point though in regards to 1000's. I am saying they are MORE dangerous and you are more likely to be trapped into an intimidation trap on one of them than the Busa...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1087349713 -->

I kinda think you missed my point though in regards to 1000's.  I am saying they are MORE dangerous and you are more likely to be trapped into an intimidation trap on one of them than the Busa...
Exactly why i didnt get a gsxr again
I had 6 gsxr's and did the high speed wheelie thing, the high speed cornering thing, the high speed weaving threw traffic thing. I lost my license like 5 times, once for 4 years they said i was a habitual trafic offender and kept riding and getting chased regularly.Then i didnt ride for a few years because of a car accident, then i bought the busa to cruise with my wife, once in awhile blast up to the high end and do some cornering. It has worked so far I enjoy riding and havent had any problems with the law.

Well... Bulletrain...  Bro, it sounds kinda like you have allready made up your mind...  Though I still think a few track days and a Good Racing school will help you get past this.  Besides, the Busa isn't designed for low speed, tight conditions anyway, it's a big ole' mutha designed for the fast sweepers and seriously fun top end.  This last Sunday I spent all day wrestling the Busa through 90deg 20MPH corners, it's not Ideal conditions for the Busa, but it gets through all the same.   I dunno, you go do what you have to do Bro, just don't think that because you sell your Busa, that your off the hook for photos and such around here...  
wink.gif

I kinda think you missed my point though in regards to 1000's.  I am saying they are MORE dangerous and you are more likely to be trapped into an intimidation trap on one of them than the Busa...
You're right, and that's my point. The busa isn't best suited for the skillz I'm weakest in. You're also prolly right about the 1k's bein' too much for what I wanna learn. My initial gut instinct was to go with a solid handlin' 600 (prolly a CBR600RR based on the mag reviews. Smooth, stable handlin' and smooth power delivery...) and really learn to RIDE even if it may be a little underpowered for my big ass. Maybe I need to give up all the power and ragged edge stuff for a while and just truly learn to ride.
rock.gif

FWIW, the popular opinion on the other board so far is go with a 600. Maybe I am still tryin' to outclass my ridin' by gettin' in over my head with a 1k. Is that the point you were tryin' to make? Maybe I did miss it.

just think of it like this for every 7 pounds you loose
is like your bike gaining 1 horsepower
Yeah, ain't that cool?
biggrin.gif
Once I get to where I wanna be, a nice fast 600 might not be so bad after all in the mountains.
wink.gif
I'll still end up with another busa though, if for nothin' else but the adrenalin.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>Don't do it Chris!</span>

Seriously!

I thought when I read your descriptions of riding Da Train that you were quite an experienced rider. Granted low speed manuvering is necesary, but it is a minimal portion of riding. Jest get out in a parking lot and practice on yer baby.

You don't want a smaller bike. You'll be disapointed IMHO.

Keep it and learn on it. My 750 Kat was only 50 lbs lighter than the Busa (I ride over a scale 2 or 3 times a week), it was no big change (other than almost 2x the HP!
biggrin.gif
)

imo, bullet, keep the 'busa and get a cheap track bike.. you should be able to pick something up, even if you have to fix it up... there's really no insurance required, no licensing... just get it to run and take it to a couple of track school days and then just track days where you can practise, practise, practise.

the new 1k's are wicked!! so light, so powerful, pretty hard to keep the front end on the ground at just about any speed once you crack the throttle.

good luck with your decision. it's a tough one for sure.

BT, i am not sure if you saw what i did to my 01 bule & silver busa, i lowered it & longer swingarm & nos.... all that crazy stuff. the bike is awesome, i though i will be happy with my 02 GSXR1000, it is really quick bike but i really miss my busa, nothing will ever come close to it's looks, comfort. when i am on my 1000, i fill that the factory forgot to finish the bike, cause you see all the harness, relays & plastic panels....... i really missed the busa after only one month. 2 weeks ago i was at a suzuki dealership & i bought me 04 black & purple busa. now i am thinking to sell my 1000 cause i really don't ride it.

Rev and AtticDog are right on point when they mentioned the riding school. That is my best suggestion/thought instead of selling/trading in the Busa for a 1k bike. Oracle/Rip/Vaughn can lend some thoughts on this as he has done the school in Atlanta at least twice. Anyway, I'm thinking that the money you will lose selling the Busa and buying another bike might be put to use paying for that awesome school in your home state. I expect you would gain a lot more confidence and satisfaction after taking that course. However, the choice is a personal one and the bottom line is that you'll still be riding and loving it. If you do decide to make that switch, you are not allowed to abandon us here at H.org !! Please take a long time before you decide ... who knows, you might even win that CBR from speedtv.com
smile.gif

Back