There's much better ways to throw away $50

pseudo

Donating Member
Registered
Ever do something really stupid? Like over tightening your oil filter throwing away $50 in top of the line synthetic oil?

And it said, right there on the filter too "turn only twice once gasket touches seal".

Man, I'm stupid. And I'm going to miss out on my ride today because the bike shop is closed.

sad.gif
mistakes are the way we learn
wink.gif

Ever do something really stupid? Like over tightening your oil filter throwing away $50 in top of the line synthetic oil?

And it said, right there on the filter too "turn only twice once gasket touches seal".

Man, I'm stupid. And I'm going to miss out on my ride today because the bike shop is closed.
That sucks. What exacly happens when you overtighten it does it crush or strip something?

That sucks.  What exacly happens when you overtighten it does it crush or strip something?
just guessing,but the threads of the oil can are weaker than what it threads onto,so hopefully it stripped the threads outa the filter(not the motor),damaged filter will never seal now...throw it away.

RSD.

Yikes! Good thing it didn't blow at the track or something though. Or even while you were just out cruising.
crazy.gif

Been there- 1st change and original rubber seal was left on the motor, and my dumb arse didn't notice. Busa has good oil pressure, it blew about $30 worth of Mobil 1 on the walls.
blush.gif

Been there-  1st change and original rubber seal was left on the motor, and my dumb arse didn't notice.  Busa has good oil pressure, it blew about $30 worth of Mobil 1 on the walls.  
blush.gif
I've seen that before on a truck. Brother changed his oil in the driveway (did I mention that the drive was just put in a week earlier). He changed the oil and filter, added new oil. "Hey Paul, what's that BIG puddle of oil on the new driveway. Old man was pissed.

haha yeah i had someone with a lot of experiance help me do my first oil change on the busa...the O ring from the first filter was left there and it took us a few good squirts of oil everywhere b4 we figured out what happend
laugh.gif

it made a nice mess but its pretty funny now, boy am i glad we didnt put the plastics back on b4 we started it up!
tounge.gif

Man, I must have lucked out. I did my first oil change and every 2500 mi after that, never even looked at it before I put the other filter on. Didn't have any spillage or spray. Logged almost 4000 miles, I will make sure to keep an eye out on my next one.

Back