HELP!!!! Blowing a lot of Oil Filter Seals

Could it just be that you are overtightnening the filter and smooshing rubber gasket?
I only spin mine 3/4 to 1 turn after contact.

Would that create his problem?

You would most likely strip the threads before you damaged the gasket enough to leak. Especially repeatedly.

I am thinking the same lines as Blanca. I don't see how you can tighten a filter 2 turns after the seal touches and if you do it is going to be way to tight, most filters are 3/4 turn.

You would most likely strip the threads before you damaged the gasket enough to leak. Especially repeatedly.

But he is repeatedly screwing all on same two turns. Maybe it is crushing gasket and allowing them to blow out pressure? Maybe?

What kind of wrench are you using to tighten it? If pliers type you could be warping filter body allowing oil to get by gasket under pressure?? If cap type :dunno:

I've used both types of wrenches Plier type and Cap Socket type. Mangled the filter with the pliers and didn't have any problem blowing out. Wanted to put new filter on (because mangled filter looked like crap) before mounting plastics so I bought a new filter and used the cap style wrench on it and had it blow out again. From all the post I've read on here the factory procedure for the filter torque is spin on till it touches then 2 full turns tighter. I have tried putting them on hand tight and hand tight plus roughly 3/4 turn. If I had pics they would just show the 3/4" piece of gasket blown out the side of the filter flange. On the K&N filters the whole filter gets blown out on one side and deforms the base of the filter flange.
Who has a writeup from the factory service manual so I know exactly what the correct procedure is???? I have just been going by what I have learned on the internet, especially here at this site.

Checked it in the owners manual (Thanks Sixpack). Spin filter on till contact then 2 full turns.
Got a new filter tonight, I'll throw it on Fri. night after work and see what happens.

There is some thing wrong, if your bike is building that much pressure in the crankcase!

Maybe when you painted the engine the oil breather got painted also and it is stuck or blocked by the paint? Long shot but ya never know.

i dont think its gasket if the filter is being pushed sideways, like gixerhp said theres something causing excess pressure, either you have a bad filter or not the right one, or its in the crankcase, what kind of oil are you using? maybe the oil pump itself

heya guys,

on cars there is a pressure relief for the oil pump, if this is stuck...excessive pressure could blow the filter off. old chryslers had an accessible spring that could be stretched for additional pressure.

typically if the breather is clogged, you will build excessive crankcase pressure, but that pressure is on the gaseous side as opposed to the liquid side. blow gaskets and seals, but ive never seen the filter blow, except for when the relief valve malfunctions.

i looked at the manual for the oil pump for a possible relief valve...seeing nothing, and never actually having a busa oil pump in my hands...i could be way off base.

builders out there?

Last edited:
Yes there is a relief, its inside the oil pan!
heya guys,

on cars there is a pressure relief for the oil pump, if this is stuck...excessive pressure could blow the filter off. old chryslers had an accessible spring that could be stretched for additional pressure.

typically if the breather is clogged, you will build excessive crankcase pressure, but that pressure is on the gaseous side as opposed to the liquid side. blow gaskets and seals, but ive never seen the filter blow, except for when the relief valve malfunctions.

i looked at the manual for the oil pump for a possible relief valve...seeing nothing, and never actually having a busa oil pump in my hands...i could be way off base.

builders out there?

On the alphasport.com in the oil pan parts diagram there is an oil relief valve assembly part# 16440-24F00. I am wondering what this is connected to and if it could plug up with oil sludge and cause an overpressure problem.

Ok, how many miles are on the bike?
Has the bike been crashed, and what happened to the bike?
Do you have any pics, of the damaged filters

Is the bike stock, and what mods are done to it!

PICS PICS PICS

Also how much oil are you putting in?
Is the bike on its side stand?

Is the air box modified?
Is the pair valve removed?

Bike was wrecked and has 6,700 miles on it. Needed forks, front rim, fairings, rearset, footpegs and Yoshimura RS3 slipon. Motor was in tact. Before mods are Ivans timing retarder, full Yoshimura RS3 exhaust and undertail I did the Pair valve removal and block off plates, bigger battery with #4 battery and ground wires, lowered it a lot front and rear and really ugly chinese plastics:p:. Once I get the state theft inspection done and get the title it is getting stretched 10 over, then going drag racing. Oil level is at middle of sight glass with bike straight up off kickstand. Pics, still gotta paint the tank.

15011771_1X.jpg

15011771_2X.jpg

IMG_20111126_102251.jpg

IMG_20111126_130850.jpg

Back