K&N Oil Filter Issues

THE MENACE

Registered
Howdy all,

Have not posted in a while. Part of this has been due to the tough winter, and having put up the busa because of it. But now it is out and I am already racking up the miles!

I went ahead and did my oil change today, using Mobil 1 4t. Having put on a K&N oil filter last time, and knowing that the previous owner used the same, I ordered the K&N (KN138 is the p/n I think). Verified it was the right one, and found that it did not thread on easily at all, and became very difficult to thread onto the bike. I tried the old one and it threaded fine. The threads on the new filter did not look right to me, but the filter was stamped with a p1.0 so in theory the pitch would be correct. In putting the old filter back on, the "nut" on top of it became mangled. It will not be fun to remove later...

I threw the old filter back on, instead of replacing with a new one, and will replace the filter at the next maintenance interval, which is what the manual states to do anyways.

Two Questions:

1.) Anyone follow the manual and do the oil filter change every other time? Any thoughts on this?

2.) Has anyone noticed a decline in K&N quality lately? To me it seems like they are going down hill...

-THE MENACE

Been using K&N filters for years on my busa and never had any problems like that? May just be a bad oil filter, it is posible it could have a defect or jacked threads. I change the filter with every oil change. I'm also running 1 on my nightrod as well and no issues with it either

I change mine every other and use mobil racing 4T as well. 33k miles and she runs like a top. I just hate removing the darned fairings unless I absolutely have to. I only use the OEM filter.

Back