Another silly question @ k/n filters

haya:)boosta

Registered
sad.gif
I've read alot about OEM filter vs K/N filter? Some say that w/ airbox mod airflow is better with stock filter, mostly because the oil soaked K/N filter reduces higher end airflow. What if one were to use a K/N filter without oil, would airflow increase?
rock.gif

Dirt and debris would increase. If you're going to use a K&N or other charged filter you need to dust it with oil, not soak it.

I've had at least one mechanic tell me that the K&N does NOT need to be oiled, however, I'm not yet willing to try it. Probably not ever. The fact is, I see lots of dirt and crap in the filter when I use the oil so I have to assume SOMETHING is trapping the crap. I never thought the oil was heavy enough to actually restrict airflow. As long as you don't over oil it.

--Wag--

If you don't oil a K&N it will not work. It is the oil itself that captures the fine particles..

The correct amount of oil is pretty important.
K & N Link

(Professor @ Mar. 21 2007,16:40) If you don't oil a K&N it will not work. It is the oil itself that captures the fine particles..

The correct amount of oil is pretty important.
K & N Link
+1 on the oil. And I too have heard the stories that the stock filter flows better the a K&N. I use the K&N and I oil it.

The mechanic that told you the oil doesn't do anything for the K&N is a dumbass. Stay away, no RUN away from an idiot like that.

you can also decrease the amount of oil applied by only applying it to the "inside" of the filter.
since the design of our airboxes is such that air travel up from the bottom and from the inside of the filter.....you can get away with not oiling the"outer" layers.

application is the key...whether or not to do so is crazy.
beerchug.gif

If you use the K&N follow their directions, I've seen dyno results showing the factory filter is better.

Back