I am a failure today haha

likeapuma

Registered
I'm going to get flamed for this, but it's alright..well deserved

So today I decided to change my oil by myself for the first time. Would like to say a huuuge thank you to those who put the slideshow together about removing the cowling. Anyways, woke up early, went and bought some tools (need to start getting a collection) and stopped by the bike shop and got a filter and 4 liters (takes 3.3 w/ a filter change in the manual).

So off I go. Take off the side fairing...went well though at points I was afraid to pull in fear of breaking anything. Off the fairing goes...great! Get one of those nifty little boxes of absorbing material and put it under the bike...out goes the drain plug...all is well right? I'm thinking "yea I rock, this isn't that bad!"...oh the oil filter, how I loath you haha. I figure I am man enough to get it spinning, once it moves I'm good right? Oh no, definitaly not. After struggling and sweating to death for 30 minutes I give up and go to the local parts store to grab a pair of channel locks(as recommended in the slideshow) and one of those "filter removal" tools with the band that goes around and locks into place....now I got it right? Get back and go to work with the filter removal tool. "This is it, you can't beat me"...SNAP there goes that! Hahaha good lord. Ok, second tool..channel locks! Only, they don't fit around the entire filter. Fine fine, I'll just squeeze tight and give it a twist. Crumple. Yup there goes the oil filter...started crumpling the metal...STILL not turning. FINALLY after almost pulling the bike down on top of me, the filter moves! YES! Get it off, only get a few drops on the headers...doing good. Get the new filter on there, all set to go. So in goes the fresh oil (what type do YOU recommend :poke:) Two liters down, going good...wait, whats that rapidly expanding puddle? Oh yea, that's the oil I'm currently pouring in...forgot to put the damn drain plug back in!!! Needles to say, the bike store owner laughed at me when it took a total of 6 liters of oil to fill up a bike that takes a little over 3. Lots of cursing and sweating later, I got her all put back together, kept the oil off the tires, and went for a ride this evening just to make sure she didn't break into pieces (I honestly think taking the fairing off is easier than putting it back on).

Just thought I'd share my AWESOME afternoon with you. I now have a parking stall will a nice big oil stain on it (any tips on getting rid of that?) But hey, what else matters as long as my bike is running top notch?

Longest post I've ever made, but figure someone will get a laugh out of my stupidity. Don't forget your drain plug!

Thats the way things go sometimes. At least you know how to do it now for next time. I still havent cracked mine open for the first time. :thumbsup:

Congratulations on completing the job! I've done the drain plug trick before on a car, and I'm sure we're not the only ones. Enjoy the satisfaction of doing your own wrenching.:thumbsup:

It definitaly was satisfying...the end result anyways..the rest just stressed me out. Random question..I've always changed my own oil on cars and when I put a new filter in, I just wrench on it with my hand...then use a tool for just that little extra...is this ok to do with a bike? Ik it has a specific torque required..but this just seems commen sense. And whoevr put that other one on needs to layoff the roids!

If you didn't give it a crack you wouldn't have had all that fun you had doing it:laugh:Good on you for giving it a go you will be better prepared for next time:thumbsup:

Hey, no laughing from me...that first time I changed the oil on my Busa took about two hours, I was covered in oil, I was terrified I'd scratch the fairings, I'm pretty sure I was walking around with my hands up like a surgeon with gloves on :rofl:

At least everything that happened was rectified and you could have been one of those guys that stripped the drain plug (big PITA) or that had all the oil dump out after riding for a few because something went wrong with your filter...

Live and learn...sometimes it's good to just chuckle at ourselves :beerchug:

It definitaly was satisfying...the end result anyways..the rest just stressed me out. Random question..I've always changed my own oil on cars and when I put a new filter in, I just wrench on it with my hand...then use a tool for just that little extra...is this ok to do with a bike? Ik it has a specific torque required..but this just seems commen sense. And whoevr put that other one on needs to layoff the roids!

That's what I do...been changing the oil on my Busa for 6 years now, no issues...

Random note, I saw a post a while back about one of our members that took the filter off, didn't realize the gasket stayed on the Busa, put a new filter over it. That's never happened to me but it's also nothing I ever really paid attention to...keep that in mind when you get the old ones off :)

no need to flame here...we've all messed up one or two things on our bikes. i just prefer not to "expose" mine!! :poke::rofl:

no need to flame here...we've all messed up one or two things on our bikes. i just prefer not to "expose" mine!! :poke::rofl:

Aww, come on man! Share!! It's how others learn what not to do :)

When I put my Woodcraft Stator Cover on, I'd used an old bottle of Loc-Tite on the internal bolts. In retrospect that was a huge mistake, didn't hold the bolts in place, ended up having one back out and it sheered under my stator cover as the mechanism spun around while I'm out riding, enjoying a nice day. It left me stranded, had to trailer my Busa for the first time ever :(

...by the time I'd gotten everything taken apart, fixed and put back together, I followed that with 3 oil changes to get the metal flake from the sheered bolts out of the Busa...

See, live and learn :whistle:

The filter put on by the factory is super tight. But the manual give specific directions on how many turns or the torque the replacement filter requires. (And it is more than the typical spin on auto filter that I have replaced on my cars since the 1970's.) I would do whatever the manual says re seating of filter. I dont have a manual in front of me right now. Also invest in a "oil filter cap wrench", it grabs the end of the filter, and fits a 3/8" drive rachet. Take a filter to the store and make sure you get a nice fit with the cap wrench. Start bike and look for leaks. The other post noting a possible double O ring situation is good advice. Good Luck.

The filter put on by the factory is super tight. But the manual give specific directions on how many turns or the torque the replacement filter requires. (And it is more than the typical spin on auto filter that I have replaced on my cars since the 1970's.) I would do whatever the manual says re seating of filter. I dont have a manual in front of me right now. Also invest in a "oil filter cap wrench", it grabs the end of the filter, and fits a 3/8" drive rachet. Take a filter to the store and make sure you get a nice fit with the cap wrench. Start bike and look for leaks. The other post noting a possible double O ring situation is good advice. Good Luck.

Agree, what he said.
congrats on the oil change, first time is the scariest :laugh:

congrats, 1st time is always a bish.

thinkin about doing the oil change on my bike, 1st time for this bike.......???

You won't get any flaming or laughing from here because we've all done it. Like Michelle said make sure the old o-ring comes off with the filter, that you remove the clear plastic cover off the new filter, throw a little of the old oil on the o-ring of the new filter, and I just hand tighten my filter as tight as I can. Never had a leak, and they come off fairly easy.

Glad you got it. :thumbsup:

When you've been working on cars as long as I have you are bound to do some stupid things along the way. I can't remember them all now but one kinda stands out. I had a truck with a broken crankshaft where the balancer went on the front of the engine. This truck had air brakes and a belt pulled the compressor. Well, it had NO brakes and we had to back it out of the doorway to lock the shop so I was gonna ride the clutch to stop it when I cleared the door. I DIDN't know the clutch was worn out. It finally stopped when it wedged on a Peugot sittin in the back parking lot. The truck was loaded with sawdust so was very heavy. That's the only time I had any use for a Peugot and it worked good for a Truck stop.:laugh: When I got out of the truck I could barely stand up my knees were so weak.

My first oil change on the Busa i had to use the old "screw driver stabbed thru the middle of the filter" trick. worked like a charm. Since I have bought the cap wrench! Harley filters have gone to molding a 3/4 nut on the end of them. Nice little touch.

Hey man I'm a pro mechanic. I and any other mechanic will tell you that drain plug bit happens sometimes. Guy was laughing because he's probably been there. I was afraid you were going to tell us how you stripped the drain plug threads out of the pan!

Good job, next one will be easier!

to help clean up the mess put lots of kitty liter on it and crush and rub it in. Clean it all up and then spray the area with lots simple green. It'll help but you still may end up with a little stain.

Glad to hear you did the oil change yourself. There's nothing better than doing things for yourself. :beerchug: Live and learn. Next time you'll put the drain plug in before you move the catch can. :thumbsup:

Great job man. It's always good to do your own work. Especially when it's all done and you can step back and say, yeah, I did that. There is only one way to learn and that's to get out there and do it. Saves money for something else. If there is something I haven't done before, I just take my time taking it apart and put it back the way it came apart. It's always good to learn to do something new:thumbsup:

Back