Ok what am i missing here?

1300hemibusa

Registered
I went by the book and changed the oil and filter yesterday.. Book showed 3.7 Qts of oil with filter ...I warmed the bike up and let it set an half hour and checked the sight glass and the oil lever was way above the sight glass... I had to drain a half of a QT to get it to the top level in the sight glass .. It's still a tiny bit above the full line ... I even got a friend to come over and as i leveled up the bike he looked and said it was just above the top line ...So what is it 3.7?   3.5? .. I added the drained oil back to the bottle that it came from and it was right at a 1/2 QT mark ... Out of the 4 QTs i started with i had 1/3 of a Qt left over , add the 1/2 QT i drained out and i have 3/4 of a QT Left over.... So it looks to me that 3.7  3.5 are wrong  and it should be 3 1/4  with a filter change .. Is there other oil trapped in the cooler and lines? I'm sure there is some up in the head and other pools or pockets that just will never get drained ....What do you think???  Lee..

<!--EDIT|1300hemibusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107135788 -->

you will have some oil traped in the oil cooler. Start of with 3.5 and with the bike level top it off.

I used between 3.5 to 3.75 qt of oil every time I changed the oil and filter on Train. The shop manual says 3.7 when filter is changed. Did you let the engine run for a while to heat the oil before you pulled the plug to drain it? How long did you let it drain? I always got the engine/oil hot and let it drain FOREVER before putting the plug back in and adding oil.
rock.gif

I used between 3.5 to 3.75 qt of oil every time I changed the oil and filter on Train. The shop manual says 3.7 when filter is changed. Did you let the engine run for a while to heat the oil before you pulled the plug to drain it? How long did you let it drain? I always got the engine/oil hot and let it drain FOREVER before putting the plug back in and adding oil.
rock.gif
Yes i warmed it up to about half way up on the temp gage .. But i may not have drained it long enough ...My drain pan is touching the headers so i could not see if it was done draining .. Next time i will go for a long drive and get a lower drain pan so i can see whats going on...Lee..

rock.gif
Yes i warmed it up to about half way up on the temp gage .. But i may not have drained it long enough ...My drain pan is touching the headers so i could not see if it was done draining .. Next time i will go for a long drive and get a lower drain pan so i can see whats going on...Lee..
Also, I change mine while it's sitting level on stands, not on the side stand. Are you changing it while it's on the side stand? If so, stand it up and make sure it's level front to back so that all the old oil will run to the drain hole. According to how it was sitting that could account for some of it.
wink.gif

I warm up the engine and put the bike on two stands, then pull the drain plug and let it drain while I pull off the right fairing. It will drip for 1/2 hour before I put the plug back in and with a new filter will take about 3 3/4 qts.

3.7 with new oil filters in the right quantity, nothing to dispute the manual there ... thats what my mechanic said
smile.gif

Back