I am a failure today haha

You did make sure the old rubber gasket was removed with the old filter. You never mentioned it is why I ask. You dont want two gaskets on there because it will leak. Good job bro, I need to do mine this winter when I find the time!

Live and learn

As for crushing the filter, I think that happens alot.

Probably will never happen, But it would be nice if they put a reinforced steel band at the bottom of the filter where you can grab it with whatever you want and twist it off without the chance of crushing it.

Your next option would have been to drive a screwdriver through it and turn it that way, However I have even had that not work, Just rips the filter even more.

You lost me at the deciding to change your own oil part...that is why I have my own live in "garage concierge. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I have a lot to learn when it comes to the mechanics and maintenance.

You did make sure the old rubber gasket was removed with the old filter. You never mentioned it is why I ask. You dont want two gaskets on there because it will leak. Good job bro, I need to do mine this winter when I find the time!

x2 on the stuck gasket ive done the first oil change on my 08 and my buds 09 and both were stuck.... luckily i caught mine before i put the fairing on. rookie mistakes we all make.:beerchug: :lol:

Cat litter makes a great oil-spill clean up compound. Mop up as much of the spill as possible, then spread cat litter over the area. Then grind the litter into the spill area with your foot, then sweep it up in a dust pan.

CW

Thanks all for the words of encouragement! I DID take the old gasket off, thanks to the slideshow for the warning on that. Though I got kind of confused and thought I had to put the old gasket on the new filter....decided with common sense that the new filter had a nice new gasket already built into it. I definitaly will be going to buy a filter removal tool before the next attempt. And, I just bought some cat litter yesterday (not for oil removal, but i'll do!).

Always good to hear that I'm not the only one who screws it up every once in awhile. I'll admit, rode it to the movies last night ( Couples Retreat :thumbsup: ) and the entire time I was worried the oil warning light would come on because of something falling off haha.

My first oil change on the Busa i had to use the old "screw driver stabbed thru the middle of the filter" trick. worked like a charm.

Same here. Since then I've used K&N oil filters. They have a 17mm nut on the end, which makes for easy access! I don't even take the plastics off anymore.

Since we're sharing oil stories I'll share mine with you. My good friend was changing the oil in his Dodge Diesel pickup (no, it was NOT me!). He drained the oil, all 8 quarts, changed the oil filter then answered the phone. As he was talking on the phone he added 8 new quarts of oil and thought that's it, I'm done.

He forgot the drain plug. He didn't notice the oil running out of the engine because it's so high up and it sloped away from where he was standing. Now when either of us is changing oil we always say, "No Valdez, no Valdez!" Exxon. get it?

OH, and when using kitty litter, put it on the spill then use a 2x4 to crush it into powder. It's quite a bit of work but it absorbs much more from the concrete. Then sweep it up.

Just for future reference when taking the oil filter loose...this is the best wrench I have ever used~!!~

I think I have every type of oil filter wrench they make, chains, straps, (screwdrivers :duh:) but I have two of these and they make life so much easier...you can actually take you filter off the motor with this wrench through the fairing...but good luck getting it out of the headers and fairing~!~

$5.99 at Harbor Freight. They run them on sale for $3.99 sometimes.

36778.gif

ERRORS SEEN DOING OIL CHANGES:
Drain plug left out
Drain plug left loose
Oil filter left off
Oil filter left loose
Oil filter gaskets stacked
wrong oil filter installed

and some more of the fun ones..

no oil installed
wrong oil installed (wrong fluid)
Guy trying to "fill" up a motor till full (I guess he thought it was a lawn mower and you fill it till you can see the level.. (small block chevy will hold at least 15 quarts :rofl: )

So you are not alone..

I have also seen transmissions sent down the road with no oil in them as well as differentials (I did this one)..

When working on mechanical stuff, you just gotta stay focused and stick with the job till done.. going away for food or drinks is probably the biggest hassle I dealt with in the garage biz... guys just plain forget stuff sometimes..

Welcome to the world of DIY bike service... now that you got that terrible initiation out of the way? onwards and upwards :)

Sorry for the paragraph. *fixed . had stop script running to fix page ear issue and it does not allow html posting...

Last edited:
Just for future reference when taking the oil filter loose...this is the best wrench I have ever used~!!~

I think I have every type of oil filter wrench they make, chains, straps, (screwdrivers :duh:) but I have two of these and they make life so much easier...you can actually take you filter off the motor with this wrench through the fairing...but good luck getting it out of the headers and fairing~!~

$5.99 at Harbor Freight. They run them on sale for $3.99 sometimes.

The Lisle corp. # 50750 tool is the one to get, I have the H.Frieght model too and its on its way out. I knew better but bought it anyway. It looks like Hrb Frieght copied the Lisle design. When you use the smaller of the two ranges mine slips into the larger range. Cant fix it -tried. I change a lot of oil/filters and have been fighting with it for too long. If yours works your lucky.

Last edited:
Hey bro. Don't feel bad. We have all done some stupid things before while trying to figure out the bike. That is how you learn to never do it again. :rofl:
Great story bro.

Back