The traffic law broken most often as gotta be...

ok so last night(7pm): I was moving along(pretty fast) in my cage. came up quick on a light suv(same as mine)
almost clear road: me, the other suv, and about 1/2mile ahead a group of car!
vise wasting time by flashing/asking on such an easy pass.. I turnsignalsed into the rightlane(NOT for 3 seconds) cause he was doing 54 in a 55 on the left lane. gave him his 2second buffer(for safety) and got back in the left lane.

CAN YOU F ° #N believe that POS broke the speed of sound to CUT me off and then slowed BACK down to 55...
honestly I have to say I was probably doing 65-70 befor I got to him. may have passed at 60 and moved it back up to 70 right after!

I was in amazment at WTF he just did... I got in the right to waste gas tring to accelerate passed the dirtbag- AND THE FKUER speed-UP!

I wanted to ram his A$$ right off the dam road and then piss on his paint while it melts off the burning car!!! SORRY venting.

but moving to the right to give the "right-of-way" to the OBVIOUSLY fast vehicle is just courtious and proper road ettiquite. like: if a Semi has his bulldog shooved up ur tail pipe it may be time to change lanes!!
Posted via Mobile Device

There are a lot of anus drivers that play these types of games. Driving slow, but accellerating so as to prevent someone passing.

There are a lot of anus drivers that play these types of games. Driving slow, but accellerating so as to prevent someone passing.

I don't do what Papiocho described, but I'll often accelerate just a touch to ensure someone doesn't pass me on the right when there is trafic in the right lane ahead. I consider it defensive driving by taking away the opportunity for someone to take advantage of a situation that doesn't provide as much margin for safety as I feel is appropriate.

I don't know if that makes sense. If I'm in the far left lane and am at a speed that will allow me to pass a car in the next lane to the right within ten seconds and I observe a car approaching my six o'clock at a speed that would allow them to pass that same car in six seconds, I'll speed up three miles per hour or so to discourage the bogey on my tail from passing me on the right, then cutting me off as they weave around the other car being passed.

Turn signals seem a bigger issue here than passing on the right...though passing on the right is often an issue with mostly local drivers who use the interstate here. Part of the problem with the locals I think is because there are some exits off the left side of the interstates locally.

same here and wife is one of them. i was just mentioning it yesterday while we were driving the pike. her response is that "those cars are doing it why can't i".

F MA

WHERE U ON MONTANA AVE LASTNIGHT???

lmao... we all drive in a manner that suits us! but when there's NO DAM BODY on the road! these actions r spitfull! and upseting also makes u wonder what direction the human race is going when people act out like this.. over being passed on a high way!

had I been in the Mustang or the Bike I guarrente that wouldn't of happend!
Posted via Mobile Device

F MA

WHERE U ON MONTANA AVE LASTNIGHT???

lmao... we all drive in a manner that suits us! but when there's NO DAM BODY on the road! these actions r spitfull! and upseting also makes u wonder what direction the human race is going when people act out like this.. over being passed on a high way!

had I been in the Mustang or the Bike I guarrente that wouldn't of happend!
Posted via Mobile Device

Somewhere between you and I there is a reading comprehension barrier I don't know how to overcome. I apologize for my lack of ability. I did not, and do not, condone the actions of the driver you interacted with last night.

If I am driving in the fast lane, as I tend to most of the time, and I am moving faster than traffic in the next lane to the right, I may or may not choose to pull over for faster traffic behind me. This is situation-dependent. I am not going to slow down to match slower traffic to my right just to give a clear path to someone behind me who is driving significantly faster than my speed-limit +10-15 pace.

If there is ample spacing to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass me correctly without me needing to make a speed adjustment, I will pull over into the right without the need for the overtaking vehicle to flash lights of blow horns (do you think you're in India or something?) This behavior is generally not considered acceptable in most parts of the U.S.

There are a lot of people on the roads now who are under a lot of stress from problems in their personal lives. I've no interest in allowing their problems to become my problem.

This is one of those things that drive me nuts! It never fails you will get behind someone doing this when you're in a hurry and they'll make sure to ride beside another car for 20 miles so you're unable to pass in either lane.

I think we need a new law that says if a slower car doesn't allow for faster traffic to pass after 2 miles you can push them out of the way. :laugh: I bet that left lane would suddenly become unclogged.

Time to add the brush guard to the front of the truck! :whistle:

..."Keep right except to pass"

Just got back from a 200 mile trip, all interstate, and I'll swear, NOBODY drives in the right lane anymore. NOBODY!!

If you want to pass, it has to be done in the right lane, 'cause the left lane is clogged!! :banghead:

Is this a common pattern everywhere, or is it peculiar to southeast Tennessee?

CW

Yes everywhere. I wished they'd start :spank: that arse

It's funny to see the left laners come through NC moving like they got a fire to go to. The smart ones know to break that speed before they hit the VA line. The not so smart ones get passed while pulled on the shoulder getting a little love from the VA Emporia PD or Hwy Patrol. I don't even think those guys have warning tickets. If you see the blue lights you can pretty much count on getting a ticket in VA. I have not had the pleasure(knock on wood)

I know the second one is a law (tailgating), the first is just friggin common sense!

In California it's the LAW. Left lane to be used as a passing lane only. I have never heard of anyone being pulled over for it though. ???

I don't do what Papiocho described, but I'll often accelerate just a touch to ensure someone doesn't pass me on the right when there is trafic in the right lane ahead. I consider it defensive driving by taking away the opportunity for someone to take advantage of a situation that doesn't provide as much margin for safety as I feel is appropriate.

I don't know if that makes sense. If I'm in the far left lane and am at a speed that will allow me to pass a car in the next lane to the right within ten seconds and I observe a car approaching my six o'clock at a speed that would allow them to pass that same car in six seconds, I'll speed up three miles per hour or so to discourage the bogey on my tail from passing me on the right, then cutting me off as they weave around the other car being passed.

F=MA:
If I ever catch you doin that to me, we're gonna have us some fun! We will just see if you can out-accelerate me. If you can, then good for you. But you better have some wood screws, 'cause I'll blow your f'in doors off if you try that crap with me!!

Respectfully,
CW

F=MA:
If I ever catch you doin that to me, we're gonna have us some fun! We will just see if you can out-accelerate me. If you can, then good for you. But you better have some wood screws, 'cause I'll blow your f'in doors off if you try that crap with me!!

Respectfully,
CW

Yours may be bigger than mine, or it may not be. Though my car will hold its own against 95% of the vehicles on the road, my interest is not primarily in burning as much fuel as possible while getting from point a to b and having to rebuild my engine every 50k miles.

If I'm already traveling 10 m.p.h faster that the rest of traffic, with the exception of you, I feel no obligation to slow my progress in the scenario I described just so you can prove you're willing to take a higher degree of risk than I.

As I wrote, if the conditions are such that it will not slow my own progress, you'll not find me in the left lane impeding your progress.

I like having you guys on the road...it takes Law Enforcement attention away from my relatively minor infractions.

:beerchug:

I'll say one thing. If you're going to play traffic cop and slow everybody down, you better get you a badge and a gun. You may need it eventually.

ohh F MA I understand now...
if ur going 10-15 over... and somebody come up doing say 25over! ur already speading... no need to shift behind someone doing the limit!!

see see I was lost but now I am found!!

and no.. I'm not in india BUT if a kenworthy flashes his highs... guess what: IM MOVING!!

I seriously expect the same respect from the next guy if I'm the one moving quicker!!

ahhh. put about 120miles on the bike 2up today.. feel like I'm walking on the moon right now!

night everyone!! I LOVE MY BIKE!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Turn signals seem a bigger issue here than passing on the right...though passing on the right is often an issue with mostly local drivers who use the interstate here. Part of the problem with the locals I think is because there are some exits off the left side of the interstates locally.

Sure, understood and I've been known to do that too but that isn't lane loitering. It all boils down to poor driver training, police looking to make better profits focusing on speeders rather than left lane loiterers and general lack of lane discipline. I think it starts when people who are used to nothing but metropolitan (congested/gridlocked) driving conditions take to the interstate motorways using the same driving habits.
That is what I loved about the UK and Europe. You can see people signal, initiate a pass, signal and complete the pass. It is like, pop out-accelerate and pop back in. Unless they are driving at a much higher (illegal) rate, they never occupy the inside lane for more than a few seconds. One of my girlfriends used to hound me about overusing the inside lane albeit while there was nobody following. I adopted the correct driving habits after that and realize it is the best way to go. If a public awareness campaign addressed these issues, it would alleviate a lot of road rage and general chaos. Too bad law enforcement activities tend to focus on speeding as the main public safety issue when this, in my opinion is equal or greater than speeding on the public safety scale.

On another note, if you want the left lane to open up like Moses parting the red sea, buy yourself a used Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor with the blacked out grille, heck even a Chevy Impala with heavy window tint would do the job. If you want to kick it up a notch dress it up with a push bar in the front!..

In Jersey we have a law against cell phone use while driving unless it's a hands free device. I would say this is the most common law that's broken. Even the cops are constantly holding their c-phone to their ear.

ohh F MA I understand now...
if ur going 10-15 over... and somebody come up doing say 25over! ur already speading... no need to shift behind someone doing the limit!!

see see I was lost but now I am found!!

and no.. I'm not in india BUT if a kenworthy flashes his highs... guess what: IM MOVING!!

I seriously expect the same respect from the next guy if I'm the one moving quicker!!

ahhh. put about 120miles on the bike 2up today.. feel like I'm walking on the moon right now!

night everyone!! I LOVE MY BIKE!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Glad we got that sorted out. :beerchug: Too many times I've been cut off by a driver passing on the right, then nearly taking my front bumper off as they swerve back into the left lane to avoid the car I was passing. Oftentimes it's a riced-out Honda Civic, but sometimes it's a Ford Excursion. When I have the opportunity to eliminate the opportunity for that to happen through a slight change in speed I will do so. When the conditions are such that the faster approaching vehicle can pass the slower one before I reach it, I'll be the first to pull over to give way. As I wrote, people traveling faster than I am are my friends, because they're more likely to keep law enforcement occupied before I arrive at the next speed trap. :beerchug:

Congrats on the ride. It's 30 degrees and wet here, so I don't feel like risking it.

Sure, understood and I've been known to do that too but that isn't lane loitering. It all boils down to poor driver training, police looking to make better profits focusing on speeders rather than left lane loiterers and general lack of lane discipline. I think it starts when people who are used to nothing but metropolitan (congested/gridlocked) driving conditions take to the interstate motorways using the same driving habits.
That is what I loved about the UK and Europe. You can see people signal, initiate a pass, signal and complete the pass. It is like, pop out-accelerate and pop back in. Unless they are driving at a much higher (illegal) rate, they never occupy the inside lane for more than a few seconds. One of my girlfriends used to hound me about overusing the inside lane albeit while there was nobody following. I adopted the correct driving habits after that and realize it is the best way to go. If a public awareness campaign addressed these issues, it would alleviate a lot of road rage and general chaos. Too bad law enforcement activities tend to focus on speeding as the main public safety issue when this, in my opinion is equal or greater than speeding on the public safety scale.

On another note, if you want the left lane to open up like Moses parting the red sea, buy yourself a used Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor with the blacked out grille, heck even a Chevy Impala with heavy window tint would do the job. If you want to kick it up a notch dress it up with a push bar in the front!..

I agree with all of this. I think your point about locals who get used to congestion is valid. I hadn't connected those dots for myself.

I rarely drive anywhere longer than 45 minutes. Longer trips are what airplanes are for. We recently drove to/from Detroit during a lapse of sanity, and I found myself surprised that 90% of slower drivers in the left lane would pull over promptly when they had the opportunity. In the city here, that percentage seems closer to 60%.

I read recently that Kansas, of all places, recently passed a left lane loitering law. I doubt it will get much attention though. "Speed kills", not the more accurate "differential speed kills" will likely always be the line of insurance company lobbyists as they work to reduce their overall claims expense.

I read recently that Kansas, of all places, recently passed a left lane loitering law. I doubt it will get much attention though. "Speed kills", not the more accurate "differential speed kills" will likely always be the line of insurance company lobbyists as they work to reduce their overall claims expense.

True.. I'd like to see the outcome Kansas' traffic legislation.

As you said, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety will have the most influence over new legislation that is beneficial to the industry's profit margin. Unfortunately, money is always the prime motivator.

Most do it because they're idiots.

I do it on long trips because all the trucks, thanks to NAFTA, have destroyed the right lanes of our interstates. It was something the Clinton administration didn't predict, which means there wasn't sufficient funding for highway repairs.

Back