New driving law.......

aussiekeeper

Registered
Please pass this on to anyone you think might not know.
>
>
> Please read the attached as it involves a new law that costs a
> considerable amount of $$$.
>
>
> A GOOD THING TO KNOW:
>
> New Law: If a patrol car is pulled over to the side of the road, you have
> to change to the next lane (away from the stopped vehicle) or slow down
> by 20 mph. Every state except Hawaii and Maryland and D.C. has adopted
> this law now.
> In Massachusetts the "Move-over" law became effective in 2009, in
> California , the "Move-over" law became operative on January first, 2010.
> Move Over America | Protect Law Enforcement Officers
>
> A friend's son got a ticket for this recently. A police car (turned out
> it was 2 police cars) was on the side of the road giving a ticket to
> someone else. He slowed down to pass but did not move into the other
> lane. The second police car immediately pulled him over and gave him a
> ticket. He had never heard of the law.
>
> It is a fairly new law that states if any emergency vehicle is on the
> side of the road, if you are able, you are to move into the far lane.
> The cost of the ticket was $754, with 3 points on your license and a
> mandatory court appearance.
>
>
>
> I checked on Snopes - it's true
> snopes.com: 'Move Over' Traffic Laws
>
>

new york has not adopted it, though I do it anyway, cops have it tough enough without having to look of their shoulders for oncoming cars

It's a great law, but it should be common sense anyway...

They have been plastering this law on the extremely large digital signs here for about 2 years here an I would say 75 % of the population is completely clue less here. What they also don't realize an that it applies to every type of emergency vehicle,Cops, Fire, Ambulance,Road Rangers, Wreckers an other types of service vehicles. If it has emergency lights regardless of color you need to move over. FHP thinks the laws been in place long enough with the warning signs an it's been on the news numerous times an they are going to start lighting people up for it. I have had a quite few instances where I was hooking up a car an the trooper pulled in front of the wrecker just to light someone up when they went by. They could spend all day giving out those kind of tickets.

it's been on the books in IL for a little while too...if possible, i move into the next lane any time there is any kind of vehicle on the side of the road, i figure the extra effort is better than hitting someone by accident!

it's been on the books in IL for a little while too...if possible, i move into the next lane any time there is any kind of vehicle on the side of the road, i figure the extra effort is better than hitting someone by accident!

a little while is right..... 8 years. :laugh:
It's just common courtesy....even if it's just a regular vehicle pulled over maybe getting something out of their their trunk or switching drivers I move over.

Move Over Law

I agree with this law a 100% . I work for the Highway Department in Kansas & have seen accidents happen because people do not want to give way & move over for "All & Any Emergency Vehicles " including the Highway workers that try to maintain the highways for the traveling public's safety.
When we work along side of the Highway and have to put our equipment on the shoulder with High Visibility Strobe lights on so that the traveling public can see us they don't seem to care because it's like we are intruding on their highway.
We have lost alot of Highway Maintenance & KHP Personell on the highway in my 12+ years and It needs to be enforced more but that is almost impossible due to cut backs. Everytime we hit the highway we have to put our heads on a swivel. We look out for them because they don't look out for us!

If you don't do that for any other reason or any other person...do it for your own safety, no?

Yes!

its been in effect here (oklahoma) for about a year or so...its also law to move over to another lane for tow trucks and such.

Big Guy will have a point of view from first hand.
I hope He sees this.
Bubba

Have had this law in ohio for a while..move over for any emergency vehicle. We also have the Pass on the left, ride in the right..Law! :thumbsup:

I just found out that they've made that the law in Ontario Canada too. I did not know but a buddy of mine was tagged with it. Now I know...

I thought this had been the norm for years...oh well...im used to doing it in military bases

Back