The time has come

secondbusa

Registered
Hi all, I was a member of this site years ago when I had an '02 Hayabusa and I'm happy to be part of the site again.

I'm planning on going to the drag strip this weekend and I'd like to see if I could get some advice to maybe just calm my nerves. I use to drag race regularly up north and a few times here in NC at 1/4m tracks, but this will be the first time with the Hayabusa and my first time on an 1/8m track. I have an '07 and it's stock (one of the reasons I bought it.) I've got straps on the front and my plan is to just take it easy at the light, since it's been about 5 years since I've raced anything. The bike has MP tires and the only reason I haven't changed them to a Shinko drag tire is they have a little life still left in them that I'd like to use up before I change them. I've had this '07 for 2 years now so I'm definitely comfortable with it, but I'm also pretty competitive so I know I'm going to want to push it, I just don't want to get into a whole whoop of trouble because I got impatient.

My biggest concern is I've been comfortable in the past racing my zx-9 or CBR1k because I know how those bikes will react, but I really have no idea what to expect from this one. I've never been super quick in the 1/4m, but I use to be fairly consistent ... usually 1.8 for my 60' time and about 10.4 @139mph. I took a class quite a few years ago and was part of a racing team with Pro-Star up North (back when there was a Pro-Star organization.) Bracket racing helped a lot with my consistency. So, that's my background, I've done quite a bit of reading here to see how the bike should react ... some info makes me nervous and some helps.

I guess what I'm most concerned about is I've always just strapped the front of my street bikes and I plan on doing the same with the busa. Is that a good idea? Not so good idea? I remember my 1k would wheelie just a little some times even with the straps, but I'm more concerned about the back end of this bike.

Any advice is helpful, thanks!

*BIG GRIN* from me because I'm so happy to see you back!!!!!

I wish I could help, but as you know, I don't drag race, I just love watching!!!

I hope others chime in and can help answer your questions and calm the nerves. It's been years since I've been to the strip to watch anyone race; just sayin' :whistle:

* BIG GRIN * and hugs back atcha!! I'm happy to be back!

Girl, I've been putting it off for so long that I'm just going to do it Friday night (hint hint, but nowhere near you I'm sure) ... I miss racing and it's the real reason I bought this bike :)

But it's really unusual for me that I'm getting nervous, I think I'm just letting it psych me out ... I'm gonna take it out thursday and just play around some more to get a feel for the launch, but I know it'll all be different once the "staging light" comes on!!

Been a while since I raced... but I run straps even on the street (you never know when a Honda Del Sol is going to give you a funny look and you have to race it) :lol: The strap has always worked fine for me... (I'm pushing 280lbs so I have that in my corner as well).

Some of my buddies used to just keep a set of quality extension blocks and a chain set aside for the weekend strip sessions (you'll need to invest in a longer brake line too). It makes switching from straighline racing back to road riding pretty damn easy (and not too expensive). The only down side is the rear brake line... once you take the blocks off you have some excess that you would need to loop and zip tie out of the way.

If you plan to hit the track often, that might not be a bad route to take. At least when you line up and launch hard you'll be confident that your headlight won't shine in the heavens.

Be safe and have fun man. We'd love to see some slips with your times when you get back. Good Luck.

Been a while since I raced... but I run straps even on the street (you never know when a Honda Del Sol is going to give you a funny look and you have to race it) :lol: The strap has always worked fine for me... (I'm pushing 280lbs so I have that in my corner as well).

Some of my buddies used to just keep a set of quality extension blocks and a chain set aside for the weekend strip sessions (you'll need to invest in a longer brake line too). It makes switching from straighline racing back to road riding pretty damn easy (and not too expensive). The only down side is the rear brake line... once you take the blocks off you have some excess that you would need to loop and zip tie out of the way.

If you plan to hit the track often, that might not be a bad route to take. At least when you line up and launch hard you'll be confident that your headlight won't shine in the heavens.

Be safe and have fun man. We'd love to see some slips with your times when you get back. Good Luck.

Great advice, thank you!! I'm also contemplating an adjustable lowering link, but I guess I'll see how my trusty straps work out first. The straps have always worked for me too, but I'd imagine there's going to be a big difference at the launch compared to what I'm use to.

Hopefully I'll relax some between now and Friday ;)

Great advice, thank you!! I'm also contemplating an adjustable lowering link, but I guess I'll see how my trusty straps work out first. The straps have always worked for me too, but I'd imagine there's going to be a big difference at the launch compared to what I'm use to.

Hopefully I'll relax some between now and Friday ;)

Strap the front, drop the back one inch , take some air out of the back tire and pull the trigger . . . :moderator:
you will like the busa :race:

Lowest hole on the lowering links, strap the front end tight, and try to keep the rpms and consistent as you smoothly feed it clutch and throttle. At stock wheelbase try to have the clutch out throttle fully open by the 60' mark. If you are stock geared you shouldn't have too much of a wheelie problem. Going -1 in the front is good on a Gen-1. If the clutch chatters a bunch you'll need a welded hub, a Brocks ultralight clutch mod, or one of the cheap rings to put in between the two slipper pieces. Any of those work, but it seems not all Busas need it.

Keep your left foot on the peg when you launch. My first time out I couldn't get my foot up to shift into second :laugh:

Back