The field has been narrowed by 1

pure_ego

enzyme of hypoverbage
Donating Member
Registered
Okay.. so I'm ready for a new bike.. I don't want/need anything faster.. or even as fast... I haven't been over 130 in probably a year... well .. no.. probably at the track I was over 150 a few times.. but that doesn't count.

My short list was...

in no order

06 gsxr750
05+ speed triple
03+ RC51
02+ TL1000r
01-02 gsxr600 (and keep the 'busa)
03+ gsxr 1k
05+ R1
05+ aprilia mille factory

The first to fall was the 01-02 600... i don't need two bikes
the second was the 1k.. i'm not paying that insurance premium.. and as stated before... I ain't gonna be goin fast enough to need it
05+ speed triple.. god help me I love the looks, and idea of them... but no... I just like the looks of full plastics too much (this also excluded the sv1000s... yeah I knwo I could have added them.. but.. bleh.. )
TL1000R went the way of the dodo, mainly because of the lack of aftermarket support.. and it's gonna get worse since they quit making it... it wasn't all that popular to start with anyway.

so that left me with the
rc51
Aprilia mille factory

the cost of the mille has been in the back of my mind for a while... and it does offend me that it costs that much (18k if you can even get your hands on one).. but I could have worked past that I think... it doesn't matter though.. very low after market market, and distance to any close 'priller dealerships sealed its' fate...
*AXE DROPS*

Well whatya know!

we are down to 2..

RC51, and a gsxr750 .. 06 model only on the 750.

I'm leaning towards the RC51 at the moment.. because I really enjoyed the Vtwin I had there for while (sv650s) I love the sound, the torque, the SOUND, and the torque!... mainly the torque. It's about 430pnds dry.. so while it's a bit lighter than the 'busa.. it's still heavy enough (in my theory) to be a very stable bike.. and everythign I'm reading seems to prove that i'm thinking clearly. The one strike against it at the moment (that can't be addressed with reasonable priced mods) is the gas mileage, and fuel range.. the best I can figure it's gonna be sucking the reserve fuel at about 125 miles or so.. that sorta sucks... and I'm sure it will be worse during spirited riding.

I'm leanign away from the 750 because it's an absoloute squid magnet... higher insurance and all that (i'm 28, and a clean record.. so it's not my record i'm worried about.. it's the bikes)
plus at 350 pnds it's got basically no choice but to be a bit twitchy... It's got some big plusses though.. slipper clutch.. adjustable pegs... that cool exhaust thing goin on.. it looks smoooooth..

whatya think?

feel free to drop other suggestions..

as long as it's not a k5, zx10, yami, or cbr... not goin' that directions.. and if I did it would be the gsxr1k... I don't like kwaks (unless it says KDX200 on the tank) and I have never liked yami's.

Negative Bro, Get the 750, it is simply one of the best balanced street bikes out there. It's allmost a perfect sportbike without all the hassle. It's only a Squid tool if your a squid...

Pull the trigger on an 06 750 and enjoy a good reliable sport bike without all the "needy" eurotrash maintenance...
laugh.gif

Seriousy though, 750 gets my vote...

Have you ever taken a ride on the RC51? I have after nearly buying one. It was horrible. Twitchy unpredictable motor at any remotely high RPM. It was also the most uncomfortable bike I have ever sat my a$$ on. Low speed (parkinglot) driving is imposible, well for me anyway, my hands hit the pointed front end of the gas tank whenever the handlebars were moved. Do yourself a favor, ride one before you buy one if you have not. I love the look and sound too, but hated the ride.... Just my 2 cents.

yeah I've rode one or two...

which year did you ride? I know the sp1 version was a bit jerky with the throttle response.. or from what i've read/talked to..

the one I rode was an 03 and I didn't have much problem there.. I wasn't exactly spankin it's ass.. but I ran it up to 9k a few times..

the gas tank is a pain.. but I spend VERY little time in parking lots.

remember one thing........HONDA SEATS SUCK!!!!!!! I would go for the 750, it is very light, well balanced, pleanty of power, and dam sexy.

which year did you ride?   I know the sp1 version was a bit jerky with the throttle response..   or from what i've read/talked to..

the one I rode was an 03 and I didn't have much problem there..   I wasn't exactly spankin it's ass.. but I ran it up to 9k a few times..

It was an 03 with about 4000 miles. Like I said, I love the way they look and sound, just couldnt choose it over the busa though.

From your list, I would have a hard time choosing between the 750 and the Speed Triple. Two different beasts, but both are cool. I'd probably give the nod to the Triple, just because I have a feeling the new Gixxers will be VERY popular. (I don't like riding a bike everyone else has.)

Although the 750 is AWESOME!

(Would it be in bad form to suggest the Gixxers have ugly paint schemes?)

Ugh.

Tough choice, bro.

which year did you ride?   I know the sp1 version was a bit jerky with the throttle response..   or from what i've read/talked to..

the one I rode was an 03 and I didn't have much problem there..   I wasn't exactly spankin it's ass.. but I ran it up to 9k a few times..

It was an 03 with about 4000 miles. Like I said, I love the way they look and sound, just couldnt choose it over the busa though.
thats odd..

Are you talking about abruptness when you get back on the throttle... or when you let off at high rpms?

I just wondered if you were feeling the engine braking... which is very strong any vtwin.. especially one this big.

From your list, I would have a hard time choosing between the 750 and the Speed Triple.   Two different beasts, but both are cool.  I'd probably give the nod to the Triple, just because I have a feeling the new Gixxers will be VERY popular.  (I don't like riding a bike everyone else has.)

Although the 750 is AWESOME!

(Would it be in bad form to suggest the Gixxers have ugly paint schemes?)

Ugh.

Tough choice, bro.
yeah.. the triple is just flat out awesome looking, and keeps on getting great reviews..

My problem with that one is I know I would end up wanting a second bike for track days if I got it...

maybe if I had that, and then bought a 600 as a track bike... of course that goes back to where I'm at now.. haha may as well keep the 'busa and get a track bike.

ya know.. I don't believe i've ever had such a hard time deciding to sell a bike.. the 'busa just does everything (within reason) so damn good! I really do believe it's the best bike a person can have for street riding.. assuming they aren't retarded and wanting to blister ( i mean really flying.. not just spirited riding) the 2 lane twisties.

I don't much care for all the graphics all over gixxr's .. but thats just the nature of the beast I guess.. haha the red/black is pretty nice though.. and I don't even normally like red.

You kinda hit the nail on the head.. and Rev had a good point too... you hafta be a squid.. to be a squid..

I worry that the insurance rating will be terrible on it (which it already is on gsxrs.. whichever you pick) due to all the newbs/squids destroying them 2 miles from their driveways before they even get the nipples rubbed off the tires. .. in the middle part.. lol

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!!</span></span>

Oh...no close dealerships huh.............ok, well if you are gonna be THAT picky, then I guess I have to vote GSXR 750.
mad.gif

Of course the 750 is also $10,000 cheaper!

tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|Nijinsky3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129657933 -->

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!! MILLE!!</span></span>

Oh...no close dealerships huh.............ok, well if you are gonna be THAT picky, then I guess I have to vote GSXR 750.
mad.gif

Of course the 750 is also $10,000 cheaper!

tounge.gif
hehe.. thats what my mind is doing..

only it's going.. who cares if there is a close dealership... buy it buy it..

i wonder about the maintenance schedule on the mille... don't you, or somebody else around here have one?

I wouldn't own a freakin' Area-51 if my life depended on it!! I've ridden one and really didn't like the power delivery or the handling what so ever. Goes with the 750. Buddy of mine has one and its a total gas to ride!!

I rode a buddy's RC 51 and was considering buying it from him up until that point....hated the way it rode...get the Speed Triple!

RC51

But a Corbin, Racetech the suspension, full system and your set for the 51.  

You could go for the 750, but from the way your talking Ego, it sounds like you just want a different bike experience and i think the 750 wouldn't do it for you. Being that the 750 is another inline 4, you'd be comparing it to a Busa all the time, but the 51 is a whole nother bike complete with different characteristics. Meaning= different riding experience, different world.
Whatever you decide on, if you don't like it, you can always sell it.

Back