at a crossroads, so to speak....

Tb3

Registered
I get attached to my bikes, so this is hard, but I think the best thing to do at this point is sell. If I end up regretting it a few weeks, months from now, the good thing is that the same exact bike (with exception of the added abs brembos) is still available new on the dealer show room floors.

Other than loving the looks of the gen 2 busa, I originally bought it as a up-to-date and more modern side-kick to my Hurricane (also a heavy sport tourer). But now that I'm getting to know the world of learning to ride much more faster and skillfully through the turns...I ended up picking up a rc51 at a good price, and even though the rc51 is now considered a pig compared to the modern liter bikes,... it literally feels like a dirt bike compared to the busa. I have multiple bikes, most of them are the upright position, but when I want to get into the sport bike lean-forward riding position and go out and ride, I find myself always wanting to pick up the pace and lean through the turns at a pretty good clip, which means I"m choosing the rc51 over the busa, its just so much more "flickable" and easy to flip side to side.
So at this point, when I sit down and rationalize owning the bike, the only benefit it has for me is when I want to ride 2 up in the sport bike position, and I almost never ride 2 up on the busa. My gal enjoys riding but prefers on a cruiser, she'll go for a ride with me on the busa but I know she doesn't prefer it, basically just amusing me. 2 up is nice on the busa because I don't really notice the extra weight at all as far as power or even that much in the turns. The raw power of the engine and the suspension soaking up the road makes 2 up a lot of fun actually.

I don't need to sell it, but I'm thinking if I sell it and the rc51 and buy one of those new gsxr1000's.......I am probably going to be getting way more enjoyment out of this type of riding, and, be riding it way more than I currently ride the busa.

I just took some pics yesterday. I'm not even sure what I should ask for it. doing the research now. 2011 pearl white with 7500 miles. extremely clean and exceptionally maintained. Only engine mods are k&n air filter and Cs1 exhaust. I may sell the Vance&Hines exhaust seperate. The original cans are packed away in bubble wrap and are flawless.
Throttle meister cruise installed. Original bar ends come with it. Tail delete with led lic plate light, Original tail to be included. Brand new Q3's installed. Stainless front brake lines, new EBC pads. Upgraded seats from ball z. All maint done by me and logged.
I see the bank loan value is $8500. I know I won't get that, so I'm thinking about asking $7,500. Does that sound reasonable? It looks like hayabusas on ebay that are clean and not modded much or cut up tend to go for fairly better prices. I don't want to throw it up for sale and be way off the mark in price

20181025_155137.jpg

Last edited:
I just sold my 06 this summer after having it 12 yrs. I know what you mean. Really hated to get rid of it but it was a logical course of action in my case anyway. Pretty ride. Im sure you will figure it all out. Besides like you said there are always new ones...lol

Reactions: Tb3
You know if you sold the RC51 , and flip those funds into BST or CZ wheels , a single Exhaust , and suspension built to you the thoughts would certainly be a bit different . Did you ever put the VH header on you got from me ?

With the lack of details on the fairings you might get alot of 'has this bike been crashed' qs.
Dig the RC51 tho, and c10s suggestions.

You know if you sold the RC51 , and flip those funds into BST or CZ wheels , a single Exhaust , and suspension built to you the thoughts would certainly be a bit different . Did you ever put the VH header on you got from me ?

I have not. To be honest its still in the box, your reputation here is so solid that I didn't even bother to unpack it to look at it. I was planning on installing it this winter then trailering the bike to get the ecm reflashed and dyno tuned.
I'll reply on your suggestion to lightening up the busa this evening when I get home.

With the lack of details on the fairings you might get alot of 'has this bike been crashed' qs.
Dig the RC51 tho, and c10s suggestions.

those are the oem pearl white plastics. I took a hair dryer and slowly peeled all the factory graphics off. I bought a couple of those decal kits off ebay and used the decals I wanted and thats what you see now. I still have the remaining decal sheets with all the rest of the decals and graphics that will go with the bike.
I wouldn't have any problem with removing the side fairings and taking detailed pics for anyone who wanted them when I do a actual for sale ad

Very nice looking and $7,500 sounds like a fair asking price to me. I’d have been interested had I not just purchased my 2009. I paid $6,200 for two years older and 20k miles.

you may be right. I saw the recent thread with the busa at the track, but I've also rode a newer 750 gsxr. Probably a 140 lb difference. I swapped bikes with a friend in my local club on a ride a little while back. I almost dropped it after I threw a leg over and pulled it off the kickstand because of how light it was after being used to the busa. Riding it at high speeds through the turns I just felt alot more like I do on the 51. Like I'm more in control of the machine and have alot more ease to get the bike flipped back over for the next turn that is already happening when I'm going at a pretty good clip.
I think my mind is about 98% made up. Sometimes one just has to try something differant I suppose.

I snapped some pictures of the rc51 at the same time. I don't belong to a 51 forum. Actually, other than a honda cbr forum this is the only other bike specific forum I post at. But I don't think I'll have a tough time selling it. These Rc51's seem to be bringing decent money if they haven't been wrecked out. The vtwin engine in this thing just sounds so damn mean :super:
20181025_160504.jpg

20181025_160524.jpg

20181025_160556.jpg

If you use the birds roll on power/ torque you will miss it after a few rides on the other bikes ;) the 51 has a good tq # the in line 4 cyl 1000's lack the tq hit.

If you use the birds roll on power/ torque you will miss it after a few rides on the other bikes ;) the 51 has a good tq # the in line 4 cyl 1000's lack the tq hit.

dang it! I'm gonna have to put you on ignore before you end up talking me out of it :p:laugh::laugh:
I completely agree with you though. It is very nice to have gobs of torque, especially when I miscalculate a turn and fall in to quick. A easy grab of the throttle and the busa will stand itself back up and keep me from going in the ditch. I have been lectured on how that is a bad habit to rely on though.
I'm going to put it for sale, not gonna give it away though. If I cant get what I want for it I'll keep it, sell the 51, and buy a new gsxr anyway:beerchug:

Tb3, you going to have a V&H header for sale too then?

possibly. Only if the busa sells. If I sell it, I will sell the header for what I paid for it. can't remember off the top my head what that was, but I can look at my paypal account, or ask c10 if he remembers, lol

possibly. Only if the busa sells. If I sell it, I will sell the header for what I paid for it. can't remember off the top my head what that was, but I can look at my paypal account, or ask c10 if he remembers, lol

I’d be interested depending on price. Please hit me up if you end up selling it.

I’d be interested depending on price. Please hit me up if you end up selling it.
There is a chance it could get sold with the bike if somebody was to throw some extra money in on the deal, but otherwise I will give you first crack at it. I just now went up stairs and opened the box to make sure c10 didn''t ship me a box full of empty beer bottles and dead Texas Amarillo carcasses :laugh: but we're all good. its in there :beerchug:

20181110_233416.jpg

There is a chance it could get sold with the bike if somebody was to throw some extra money in on the deal, but otherwise I will give you first crack at it. I just now went up stairs and opened the box to make sure c10 didn''t ship me a box full of empty beer bottles and dead Texas Amarillo carcasses :laugh: but we're all good. its in there :beerchug:

View attachment 1588038

Appreciate it. We talking about this header?

E5F1EB4E-9342-49EA-9281-75452122A44A.jpeg

My gal enjoys riding but prefers on a cruiser, she'll go for a ride with me on the busa but I know she doesn't prefer it,
After careful consideration I do think you should sell... the girl. :lol:

You have to make your own choices. I am probably going to put my 18 up for sale too. Then in the spring trade or sell my ZX14rSE to get a silver and red 19 Busa. I was going to get a new FJR1300 but I think I would miss the Busa. I do need to cut down to one bike because of retiring and being on a fixed income.

Back