The end ?

Unfortunately, a new bike can’t be purchased out of state and licensed in California. Even a used bike purchased out of state and brought into California must have at least 7,500 miles on it to be registered here.

Some manufacturers make all their bikes ‘50 state’ bikes which does allow the purchase of out of CA bikes old or new. I bought a 1,041 mile Montana Ducati and all DMV had to see was the motor number and a letter from Ducati America. California has better emissions laws for cleaner air and they don’t want residents to purchase higher emission vehicles (anywhere) for primary driving in California that exceed those emission requirements.

Some manufacturers make all their bikes ‘50 state’ bikes which does allow the purchase of out of CA bikes old or new. I bought a 1,041 mile Montana Ducati and all DMV had to see was the motor number and a letter from Ducati America. California has better emissions laws for cleaner air and they don’t want residents to purchase higher emission vehicles (anywhere) for primary driving in California that exceed those emission requirements.
Yay Canada, our bikes are not governed by this. Now they do have emissions testing in major cities but here in the sticks we are foot loose and fancy free.

I think Premier Doug is doing away with it for cars too if he has not already
Stupid Ontario law dept
You get your pipe sniffed and it fails
Mechanic says you need a new catalytic Converter
he says a rebuilt one is 350.00. plus 50 bucks in stall. Comfortably under the 600.00 max you have to pay for your sticker
Is that a Chevy cat you ask.
NO he says
I only use chevy parts on my truck says I How much for a new chevy Cat
Almost a thousand dollars says he
Does it need anything else ask I
No says he
Well that Chevy cat is over the 600.00 buck limit so I shall have my conditional pass please
He's pissed Im scot free and on my way out the door free of stupid govt regs for two more years
Just a cash grab is right

I think Premier Doug is doing away with it for cars too if he has not already
Stupid Ontario law dept
You get your pipe sniffed and it fails
Mechanic says you need a new catalytic Converter
he says a rebuilt one is 350.00. plus 50 bucks in stall. Comfortably under the 600.00 max you have to pay for your sticker
Is that a Chevy cat you ask.
NO he says
I only use chevy parts on my truck says I How much for a new chevy Cat
Almost a thousand dollars says he
Does it need anything else ask I
No says he
Well that Chevy cat is over the 600.00 buck limit so I shall have my conditional pass please
He's pissed Im scot free and on my way out the door free of stupid govt regs for two more years
Just a cash grab is right

A few years ago my son had to get his older Ford Focus emissions tested (lived in Kingston), it barely registered on the sniffer...I was surprised to say the least, either the standard is low or the system is flawed or cars today put our few emissions.

I kind of chuckled to think his car passed but later he cut his grass with a lawnmower which I'm sure you could see the blue exhaust plume from space..

Cash grab you say? Damn straight.

Emissions testing is crazy too.
It is not required to pass the annual Va state inspection(sticker in car windsheild, fork or swingarm on bike), but, if you live in liberal Va, aka, Northern Va...then their cities Do require it for Va state inspection.
I'm not complaining, since I'm 3 1/2 south of that mess. But, how can it be a mandated "state" inspection, but only required in certain areas(the rest of the inspection is tires, brakes, lights, etc).
More proof that even though polution needs to be controlled and eventually eliminated...governments are just out for the money.
in ny… if u don't inspect ure car... u cant register it(re-register)… but I don't think it applies to bikes yet because I haven't had mine inspected.

u support these strict emissions laws?

Unfortunately, a new bike can’t be purchased out of state and licensed in California. Even a used bike purchased out of state and brought into California must have at least 7,500 miles on it to be registered here.
So take the scenic route back :thumbsup:

Whatever Suckzooki comes out with two years from now under the new Euro standards will be a detuned pos anyway. Now that the original Hayabusa has been discontinued, the value of my Busas have gone up, and will continue to go up. I didn't want a new one, anyway. I've already built (and continue to build for my customers) bikes way better than anything Sh*tzuki might have pooped out eventually, anyway.

Find a Gen 1; build the motor, turbo it, tune it. Go beat up on some H2s, S1000rrs, twin turbo Callaway Corvettes, Lambos, whatever you can find. Never regret owning one of the best bikes ever conceived and you'll still be looking at the new models every year - in your bike's rear view mirrors!

Whatever Suckzooki comes out with two years from now under the new Euro standards will be a detuned pos anyway. Now that the original Hayabusa has been discontinued, the value of my Busas have gone up, and will continue to go up. I didn't want a new one, anyway. I've already built (and continue to build for my customers) bikes way better than anything Sh*tzuki might have pooped out eventually, anyway.

Find a Gen 1; build the motor, turbo it, tune it. Go beat up on some H2s, S1000rrs, twin turbo Callaway Corvettes, Lambos, whatever you can find. Never regret owning one of the best bikes ever conceived and you'll still be looking at the new models every year - in your bike's rear view mirrors!

Is it just gen 1? Or is gen 2 just as good?

Send it NOW!!!!!!!!!
yes, it's a noticeable improvement, especially at lower rpm's.
Add a +3 rear sprocket, and that up's the rpm's around 600, making the power curve just right with more lower rpm timing.
The 2 combined make it a different bike, much more aggressive throttle response!

Yeah... My biggest worry about the Busa is not aggressive enough throttle response... LOL...

Everything has a production end, it was just the Hayabusa's time. It doesn't negate the fact it is a good bike with lots of potential and we seem to love it for what it is.

If a Gen 3 comes out, what are the chances it will have much in common with the previous generations?

I seem to always own a bike no longer in production so this is the norm for me anyways. The aftermarket will be huge for the Busa for many years to come so no worries.

I don't know what the future of motorcycling looks like but bikes like the H2 have been out for a while and the other companies aren't jumping on that bandwagon so far.

How much influence the insurance companies will have is going to dictate where bikes are going. If you can't insure them, what's the point?

Last edited:
I do like my Busa’s, I’d be happy to buy another Gen-1, Gen-2 or B- King if I got offered a bargain. They are a proven product that is great in some areas.

I do wonder if, as is the current fashion, the next Gen will go smaller and more high tech? The choice of big bore bikes is getting very limited. I have a GSX1100, a GSX1400, a B-King etc, but now there’s a real drive for sub-1ltr bikes. When was the last big bore Suzuki released that wasn’t a cruiser or soft off roader?

The H2 is a perfect example. High tech, high performance. Whilst I appreciate these bikes they are getting further away from suiting home mechanics and DIY jobs, and a higher tuned smaller motor won’t touch the older type GSX, GSXR, Busa lumps for potential if your a tuner.

A lot of folks say “the Gen-3 will be a 1400, turbo charged, big bore monster”. I hope so, but I’m not entirely convinced. Most of the recent bikes have either been smaller and higher tech, or detuned “user friendly” versions. The Busa and ZX14 have lived on with minor updates but nothing ground breaking for how many years? Is the Blackbird / ZZR1100 / Busa / ZX14R manufacturers top speed claim to fame still relevant?

I know many Busa owners love their big numbers, high horsepower, straight line bikes, but as a global product, is this enough to influence the design of a Gen-3 ?
If it is Suzuki don’t seem very bothered about getting the current bikes replacement on sale and have left a gap in the market.

It will be interesting to see which way it go’s.

Last edited:
Back