Texan needs help with cold weather gear??

turbosdad

Registered
three of us are going to ride to north texas, then colorado, then new mexico and back to north texas. The projected weather is 55 highs, 22 lows and sunny.

I am from Houston and have minimal cold weather gear. My riding jacket for cold weather here is an Olympia sports fabric with liner. I bought some full size alpinestars goretex gloves, plus have some leather lined shorties. Will have back seat backpack and tank backpack.

Any suggestions from experienced cold weather riders would help.:thumbsup:

...Dress warm, :laugh: That's a long ride, @22 degrees you need heated gloves & vest, and anything else you can get your hands on. @ 22 Degrees I'm good for about a half hour full leather, layered under * barclava + big dumb gloves, fingers & toes...

It's gonna be rough at those temps and highway speeds. You need a very good set of gloves that don't let air pass through; believe me. Some guys around here get the rubber gloves they use in hospitals to block the air. If you have a good set of riding gear with liners torso and legs you'll be alright with some good layered clothing. Strip down as the day warms up. That leaves the neck and face. I use a thin barclava to help in this area. Thin because you will make the helmet loose wearing anything thick.

Good luck and have fun.

If you got the money go get the heated stuff, I'm sure it's great.

Anything in the 20's is not going to be enjoyable period. I don't care what you wear. I imagine these temps are only predicted in CO. How far up are you planning to go? Those temps are only expected @ elevations above 7k feet. And even then....only in the night. Either way, have a fun & safe trip. Talking from experience....your really cutting it close & asking for trouble if you get above 7k feet at this time of the year in the Rockies. You may find yourself needing a sled instead of being able to ride your Busa.

balaclava at REI.com

Gerbing's Heated Clothing // The World's Warmest Clothing!

coming from Iowa and nebraska, I can tell you that heated gloves and jacket is a big help. get a thermostat controlled set. they can get too warm.
have fun and be safe

I have Firstgear heated gear. If you are riding cool weather to cold weather, you don't need to change gear, just leave it off until you start getting cold, then turn it on and adjust the temp to where you are comfortable. Make sure to get the whole set including socks if you are going sub freezing.

Here is my suggestion. I rode many times in Maine and in Canada temps as low as 30 degrees F. I have Gerbings G3 heated gloves with the heater control unit. You should get the Gerbing battery pig tail connector with fuse as well to be sure of no power conflict fuse blowing or power failure. You run the wires down your leather jacket sleve and connect them to the gloves. I can control the heat from the external control unit. If you get these gloves, buy Fabric Guard 303 water repellent Spay the gloves good, it will soak into the leather, then give it the second spray about 4 to 6 hours after the first. My gloves are now water proof in the hardest of rain and warm as if I was sitting in my living room watching TV. Gerbings are about the best heated gloves you can get in my book. They are offering the T5 which are new in the USA. Either way G3 or T5 can't go wrong. Whatever you decide, don't leave home without heated gloves. Have a safe trip. :thumbsup:

You may also want to spray your luggage with the Fabric Guard 303 as well. The stuff is not cheap but it is the best water repellant I found as of yet. It is usually found in boating marine shops.

i got the tour master Synergy sleeved liner, may get the gloves, not really sure since i have reg winter gloves and they were ok till it got into the low 30s/high 20. but for $140 shipped for the jacket, its a steal. it has an adjustable thermostat as well *very nice* to have.

I got a good pair of thick leather gloves. I found the hard way that water proof and wind proof can't always be used in the same way. I wear a thinsulate liner and a good sweat shirt.
Also go to a local ski shop and get your self a polar felice neck sock. mine goes all the way over my nose. You would be surprised how cold your neck can get.

I have found th genII funnles enough heat over your legs that a good set of ridding leathers will keep you warm on the lower half.

GET THE NECK SOCK!!!
and some hot hands hand warms for when you stop then drop them down your sleaves when you set out.
Good luck

I live in Alberta so here goes. Get a good set of thin insulated undergear there small to pack and IMHO invaluable. Get yourself a good set of heated glove liners. Unless your planning a lot of trips in the cold dont spend a lot of money on heated jacket liners and pants, but your hands are essential. I wear a neoprene thin hooded jacket under my gear it prevents wind and the hood is thin enough to use in you helmet.

Check out this link its similar to what I wear here and I drive through the mountains it fits in the hump and you can get bottoms as well

MEC Expedition Stretch Hoodie (Men's) - Mountain Equipment Co-op

Orrrrr you can just keep your ride limited to around Texas... that would bump the low temperature up and you'd just have to think about a wet weather top. We've been having decent temperatures but just lots of rain.

Back