Picking up Busa in cold weather

sideswipe

Registered
I *finally* get to pick up my Busa tomorrow, and it will be a little chilly here in the Northeast. I have a 3 hour slab to ride it back, any tips for riding the Busa in cold weather? It can be clothing tips, something to look out for unique to the Busa, or any other advice! Thanks!

The tires will be REAL slick when new because of the mold release compound. Be very careful when turning and accelerating. I would put the busa in C mode for the ride home to be safe. I don't know what type of gear you have, but wear layers to keep warm. You want to have enough on to stay warm but not too much bulk that you can't move. I wear a head sock for motorcycles, and it helps alot. Watch out for sand and salt residue as it can be slick. Take several brakes along the way and keep hydrated. Good luck and congrats on the busa.
beerchug.gif

I'll second that on the slick tires I dumped my bike in my driveway the day I got it, December in WI is not for riding on new tires.

Well, I haven't ridden in weather as cold as where you are but I've done some 32ish degree rides this year. A lot of people go all out and get heated grips, heated vests, etc. I will tell you what works for me and I simply just do not get cold, period. For me, the most important thing to do is layer. I still don't have "real" riding pants so I've just been wearing cargo pants but with a medium-weight layer of Smartwool long undies. I'm sure other brands are fine but trust me, Smartwool is THE stuff if you want a good base layer. I also wear a pair of thick Smartwool "Mountaineering" socks under my Alpine Stars Goretex boots.

Then, for the top I wear (you guessed it!) a medium-weight Smartwool long-sleeve top and then a thin (100 weight) fleece on top of that. I then have a Fox Creek Leather Bomber jacket over that with about a 300 weight fleece neck warmer zipped up around the neck.

For winter riding gloves... I had a brain fart
sad.gif
Seems like they say "Windtex" or something on them. They are pretty good but I wear a little thin under-glove as well. My hands do get a little cooler than I'd like but certainly not cold. I'd say with that set up I could ride in the 20's and be ok. After that I'd probably need some heated grips myself unless it was a really short ride.

As for riding the Busa out of the dealer... I don't know. I keep hearing stories of people laying them down in the parking lot due to the tires, excessive power, or some other reasons. My personal take on the Busa (or other bikes) whether it is cold weather or not is that YOU make the bike what it is. Sorry, but anyone trying to show off as they harshly roll the throttle coming out of the parking lot (or maybe shortly after when they get out in to more open road) is setting themselves up for not only an injury but also humiliation. It is real simple. When you pick up a new bike, ride CAREFULLY home. Do not assume just because you owned another bike or another Busa that you have some secret trick up your sleeve that will prevent you from having an accident. Do things gradually. Don't warm the tires up immediately when you hit the street. Ride her nice and straight for a bit and learn at least a basic concept of what type of throttle response she has. Pull off in to a parking lot or something (slowly!) to get an idea how the bike handles. When you feel like you have enough skill to not twist the throttle so much as to spin tires, wheelie, etc. then try warming up the tires a little by lightly swerving around.

Remember too that if the bike is brand new you need to keep the RPM's below 5500 until after the first service (500 miles iirc). I'm sure you will have no problems getting it home. Just be safe... it is really an easy bike to ride and insanely smooth too. Enjoy the ride!

The tires will be REAL slick when new because of the mold release compound. Be very careful when turning and accelerating. I would put the busa in C mode for the ride home to be safe. I don't know what type of gear you have, but wear layers to keep warm. You want to have enough on to stay warm but not too much bulk that you can't move. I wear a head sock for motorcycles, and it helps alot. Watch out for sand and salt residue as it can be slick. Take several brakes along the way and keep hydrated. Good luck and congrats on the busa.
beerchug.gif
I think there are at least 5 threads about guys dumping brand new 08's on new tires and cold pavement... do take it easy..

I picked up mine in the middle of a snow storm on Dec 22nd in Oklahoma. My ride home was only 50+ miles but it was a cold one. Dress in layers and keep it in c mode If you know how to find it. If you dont know just hold down the down mode button for a few seconds until it shows on the display then you just push up or down. I also had the person dropping me off follow me back just to be safe since it was snowing.
Congrats on the Bike.
Send pics and what color did you choose.
beerchug.gif

I did not read the prior posts for the reason I dont like to read a book! No pun intended guys!
beerchug.gif

Just take it easy, and dont be a ding-aling trying to see what she has....
Wait for the good warm weather for that.
beerchug.gif

Congrats..

beerchug.gif

Trailer would really be the ideal way to go. Without that option though you need to follow the advice above.

ACK! The karma hit from trailing a Busa is enormous!
sadnews.gif

laugh.gif

As many have already stated, cold weather and the OEM Bridgestones can ruin your day. Endeavor to avoid any serious leaning on the way home.

Otherwise, you should be fine.

A balaclava should be considered essential gear when riding an open-class sportbike in winter. The airstream is your enemy, and there's not a massive amount of fairing/windscreen to protect you.

Have fun. Be careful. And congrats.
thumb_up.gif

Full gear ( winter ) and something for the neck/face. I use Joe Rocket Alter Ego, Joe Rocket winter type gloves with liners, Barclava.

YEah i got my bike when it was 30 degrees in NJ. Yes as others have said, cold+Bridgestones+asphalt=not good. I have a TRD installed so no mode C for me. I just let the clutch out nice and slow, then gently applied the gas. no sudden movements. Besides, the faster ya go the colder it is LOL. and wear leathers,layers,gloves.
and did i mention, gently apply the gas!

congrats!!!!! and good luck!

go get it with a truck and a buddy to help load it if you dont have a truck available rent one its not worth hurting that brand new engine with a 3 hr drone down the highway or even worse crashing that new beautiful bike because of new tires and cold tarmac not to mention the sand ,calciumchloride,and drivers that dont expect to see bikes in this weather ...

Made it in OK! I tried my best to fluctuate the RPMs over the 220 mile trip, hopefully the engine will be OK. Thanks for ALL the tips guys, they sure came in handy!

you better off truck or trailering it. why risk it only 4 montha and few days before the weather breaks. I got mines on a cold day didn't want to take a chance with that new tire syndrome aka black ice. good luck with breaking it in and finding aftermarket parts

Back