Cold weather gear

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Hey gang,
Cooler weather is setting in and i could use some recommendations. It gets into the 40's around here in the winter and the snow level is only about 30 minutes or less away in Dec - march. Last year I rode with long underwear and wool socks... I have a pair of Icon Patrol gloves with liners but they still get cold after 20 minutes in 50 degree and below weather. At someones suggestion I was considering Held Gloves?
rock.gif
or maybe BMW heated ones? and what other warm items u think of plz... thanx - K

Hein Gerke (sp) textile jacket ("Hy-Dry"). It's ultra warm, waterproof, wind proof and has excellent padded protection.

Joe Rocket ballistic 4.0 pants.

As far as gloves, try this.

Get some of those "super strech" kids golves. The one's that look about 1" wide but strech to fit your hand. I use them under my regular leather riding golves. It ads a layer of insulation without adding bulk or taking away from "the feel" of the bike.

my .02

Chris

Hey Ken, so your ready to do the  nasty, huh,  
tounge.gif
  Well from personal experience and being a cheap azz bastid. I would recommend a Hein  Gericke MAXWELL JACKET combined with a Gerbing heated liner. As opposed to the TIMBUKTU JACKET  
 with a removable waterproof liner I just bought. Its a nice jacket and serves its purpose and I didnt want to spend $500 on a Aerostich, but now wish I would have did a little more research and bought a Maxwell jacket I found out about after I recieved my TIMBUKTU JACKET .  

TIMBUKTU JACKET personal review  

Pros: Cheaper Jacket verse the Maxwell with a removable liner for cool weather riding.

Con:The only draw back on the TIMBUKTU JACKET is that you will need to remove the liner after you have been riding in the rain so the exterior can dry quicker.

maxwell02.jpg

MAXWELL JACKET
Gore-Tex® offers waterproof protection with superior breathability
Removable thermal liner for all-season comfort
Adjustable cuff closures and waist belts
SafeStitch® seam construction
1.2mm leather at outer sleeves and shoulders
Ballistic nylon main construction
Crotch strap to prevent jacket from riding up
CE-approved Hiprotec® Comfort Armor at elbows, shoulders and back
3M® Scotchlite® reflectivity
Four front outer pockets (two waterproof), one rear pocket, one inside pocket
Available in men’s sizes S – XXL
MSRP $359.95

You can get the Maxwell at a lower cost if you shop around online !!!!!!!!

TY

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: "Serious gramatical errors.......dayuum"|1129937664 -->

Hey gang,
Cooler weather is setting in and i could use some recommendations. It gets into the 40's around here in the winter and the snow level is only about 30 minutes or less away in Dec - march. Last year I rode with long underwear and wool socks...  I have a pair of Icon Patrol gloves with liners but they still get cold after 20 minutes in 50 degree and below weather. At someones suggestion I was considering Held Gloves?
rock.gif
 or maybe BMW heated ones? and what other warm items u think of plz...  thanx - K
I usually wear my Vanson jacket with a sweatshirt under. It's good down to 45 or so. I bought an Areostitch 1 piece in 1992 and still use that sometimes too. Either way, the one thing I would recommend for whatever you use is a bib to block off the front zipper/flap or whatever your jacket closes with. Every jacket, including the Aerostitch leaks a little here and it don't take much 35 deg air to cool you down.
Good luck.

Every jacket, including the Aerostitch leaks a little here and it don't take much 35 deg air to cool  you down.
Good luck.
[/QUOTE]

Every Jacket u say ? Might wanna check out the new and improve shid they have to offer now days, Champ !  The Timbuktu Jacket has a double velcro wind strap set up with  one being on interior side of the windproof and waterproof jacket liner and the other on the exterior side of the jacket.  It would be very very impossible for an air leak unless your water barrier is torn (waterproof liner).  Then again how would I now since I'm packn a heated Gerbing liner jacket underneath the two top covers.  
biggrin.gif
Dont knock what you havent tried !

More photos

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129981305 -->

I ride with my heavy ski jacket and snowmobile gloves in the winter, so far 20 minute rides have been accomplished down to mid 20's, it feels chilly but not the end of the world.

wickedsprint
Rookie

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:2.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I ride with my heavy ski jacket and snowmobile gloves in the winter, so far 20 minute rides have been accomplished down to mid 20's, it feels chilly but not the end of the world.
[/QUOTE]

20 mins, U big wussy
tounge.gif
, in Ak. as kidz we use to stay out for hrs riding (three wheeln and snow mobiling), more so on the snowmobiles with its more windprotection and heat coming off the block. While only using a cheesy snowsuit, mittens and moon boots.

ICEMANN
Hayabusa Master

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:1.55

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ty your almost a "grand puba" 800+ more post to go ya hoe! [/QUOTE]

I'm trying to shake it like a G, Playa !
laugh.gif

Then again how would I now since I'm packn a heated Gerbing liner jacket underneath the two top covers.  
biggrin.gif
Dont knock what you havent tried !

More photos
For those of us that ride without heaters, you can find and feel the leaks. Be honest here, go for an 80 mph ride in 30 deg temps for an hour or so, without your heater, and then tell me it doesn't leak.

Ya'll are hard core... or insane... Not sure which... If the outside temp is below 55f ol' BT don't roll out on the bike. Got my fill of cold weather ridin' in ONE ride when the temp dropped from high 60's to mid 40's on me at a bike night. Hadn't watched the weather and didn't know it was gonna drop that much that fast. Was stuck in my mesh jacket wtih short sleeve t-shirt underneath with no liner.

If that happens again, which I don't plan on allowing, I'll call somebody to haul me and the bike home. FUG THAT! I only had like 25 miles to get home and I had to stop half way and hug the tank and fairings to get engine heat to get feeling back in my forearms and hands. When I got home my arms were numb and blood red. That shid hurt! Nuh uh... not me... not again.
drooling3.gif

for pants:

I bought some of the First Gear HT overpants on sale @ Newenough.com....awesome! Warm and excellent wind protection.

Highly recommend.

For those of us that ride without heaters, you can find and feel the leaks. Be honest here, go for an 80 mph ride in 30 deg temps for an hour or so, without your heater, and then tell me it doesn't leak.
[/QUOTE]

Have you ever heard of heat and cold transfer ?
If you want to call this an air leak, then cool.
As far as me riding without my H/L jacket, no way, Playa , I'll just take your advice and trust you on how could it can be riding without a heated liner .
biggrin.gif

Best investment money spent so far on my riding addiction. Just to note.... I was out last night riding in 38 degree weather using the gear above with no problems with my hands or feet getting cold. But I still might have to get a pair of heated glove liners for when the temps drop down to the low 30's to 20's (Brrrrrrrrr).

Pay now or waste and pay more learning on your own

Just my .02

I,m such a puss. Sitting here on the org wishing I was out riding. I guess I need to go get some new gear myself. It's cold here today in Kansas City!

Back