Cool weather electrical gear suggestions?

2hip

Registered
I am asking for suggestions or site links to good electrical gear for cool weather riding. I ride about 90 minutes to work in the early afternoon and ride home around 11 pm at night. Weather in N. Cal is around mid 40's in Winter time. I am asking for those Busa men and women who ride cool weather and have practical experience to light me up with what gear works well. I am not afraid of dropping some coin on a good product. Currently I use Motoports mesh kevlar jacket. I feel almost bullet proof in his gear...IMHO it is the best and safest jacket money can buy...but it is not designed for cool weather riding...it is mesh. Even with wind breaker and 2 shirts underneath it with a sweater I'm frozen by the time I get home. So, I think it is time to go to electrical gear. My hands get pretty cold also. If I wear a pair of rain pants under my Motoport Kevlar pants my legs don't get too cool...please help me out with your experience and suggestions to gear...thanks for your responses ahead of time..respectfully, 2hip

I use Gerbings heated liner under my regular jacket. Their stuff is top notch, have many years and miles on my stuff without any failures.

Tour Master make a good set of heated gear. Look at the Synergy line. I used a set last fall and it works very well. It gets almost too hot.

Check out Gerbing. I have their jacket liner, been using it for 4-5 years and it works great. Add their electric gloves and you should be happy.

Synergy gear and a decent water resistant suit will keep you nice and toasty below 30. Just watch out for ice. It also comes with the heat controllers. Other brands require you to buy a separate controller in addition to the gear.

Last edited:
Like others have suggested, I use a Gerbings heated vest. It has a rechargeable battery, so you don't have to plug into the bike, and the battery controls the temperature.

To date my record is one hour at 28 degrees with the Gerbings vest. Can't offer any suggestions for heated gloves yet...but that's on my list for the future.

I just bought Gerbings Microwire jacket liner, glove liner and dual controller, heats up instantly. Lifetime guarantee on the heating elements. If you buy from them put in GM10 where it says cust code and you will get 10% off.

Don't feel bulletproof. Mesh gear really isn't very good once it hits the pavement.

I've used this for a 30 mile commute in 24 degrees and was fine. Gerbing's makes great stuff. It's a little bit pricey, but it's got lifetime warranty on the heating elements and if you have any place that you need element added to you can send it back and they'll add some where you want. Really is top notch stuff and would be my #1 recommendation by far.

Pardini, check out the Kevlar Mesh gear jacket crash that I just submitted about a guy who hit the payment at 70 mph and slid and rolled over 10 times...Kevlar is 20 times stronger than leather...and doesn't peel apart like leather...check the article out ...2hip

+3 Gerbing.... Running the Battery powered stuff and it keeps me nice and toasty!

I am trying to get Corbin to add in a heating element to a new seat for me :laugh:

Will help for those 5AM rides during the winter on the way to work... not to mention any cross country trips I take in the cooler months. Gonna add some heated grip elements from Pashnit as well.

Back