Taking off rear brake.

DeermeetBusa

Registered
Hi everyone...How bad would it be if if removed the rear disc with caliper and support arm on the busa? I have ss braded lines on the front. Would it be that dangerous? Ive heard the rear brake can contribute 30 percent stopping power. Is that right? Im not a twistie fanatic and I think I would only use maximum braking in an emergencey. And the thing is in an emergencey I usually lock the back up which I think would be more dangerous than not having rear brakes at all. What do you guys think? Wouldnt it be worth the less rotational mass and less weight? I cant afford wave rotors, light weight sprockets and carbon wheels or anything.

Your kidding right?

lurk.gif

(DeermeetBusa @ Mar. 04 2007,17:10) Hi everyone...How bad would it be if if removed the rear disc with caliper and support arm on the busa? I have ss braded lines on the front. Would it be that dangerous? Ive heard the rear brake can contribute 30 percent stopping power. Is that right? Im not a twistie fanatic and I think I would only use maximum braking in an emergencey. And the thing is in an emergencey I usually lock the back up which I think would be more dangerous than not having rear brakes at all. What do you guys think? Wouldnt it be worth the less rotational mass and less weight? I cant afford wave rotors, light weight sprockets and carbon wheels or anything.
I wouldn't recommend it. You may not be a fan of twisties but there is no dispute on how much the rear brake can assist when going around a curve/turn. Even everyday turns.

You can improve your riding skills to avoid locking up your rear brakes. When you ride, you always have to have an alternate route to avoid lock ups or wipe outs. That's not always possible, but you should ride prepared to have an emergency at any moment.

Just my .02

Leave your rear brake on...the weight savings is not worth the risk
argue.gif

How does the rear brake help you in turns? Ill admit it ,Im not a very experianced rider. I try to use it when stoping all the time because I read its a good habit to get in but the bike seems to stop so well too when just using the front.

I just want to make sure I understand; you want to remove the rear rotor, hanger, brake caliper, tq arm, line, reseviour, switch and lever to save weight?
If it were me, there is no way that I would do it - I use the rear brake too much

(DeermeetBusa @ Mar. 04 2007,17:32) How does the rear brake help you in turns? Ill admit it ,Im not a very experianced rider. I try to use it when stoping all the time because I read its a good habit to get in but the bike seems to stop so well too when just using the front.
I'm not the best at explaining the technical terminology but using the rear brake in turns helps balance the bike thru weight transfer. Somebody help me out here and explain the principle. Or you could just read the Riding skills of Sport Rider a couple issues ago. They did a good write up on it

crazy.gif
you can scrub off some speed to set your line...if you use the front brakes to do this the forks dive and this will upset the bike  
all_coholic.gif

Trail Braking.

Ge tthe book "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch its good reading

You need the rear brake. It's that simple.

Also, if your bike is insured and something happens that they can contribute the accident to the lack of a rear caliper. They might drop their coverage or refuse to pay.

I understand the concept of trail braking and not letting the front dive in corners but arent you supposed to shed speed BEFORE the corner? How am I supposed to learn the proper pressure on the rear brake if I never ride twisties at a blazing speed. Im thinking if I try to learn it that my wheel will lock and bam Ill low side. I wont take it off. You guys have good points. But I want to learn better rear brake skills.

Trail braking - that's the phrase I was thinking of.

You shouldn't try to learn it at "blazing speeds" Once you learn the principle and dynamics of trail braking, then you can gradually increase speed in twisties.

Using rear brake in turns can also keep you from spinning out(if done properly)

Definately get the above said book. I'm going to
super.gif

You guys forgot the importance of the rear brake in s-l-o-w speed maneuvering. Yeah yeah, the busa does go slow if it has to. Just try to do a tight figure eight without the rear brake.

(GMbusa @ Mar. 04 2007,17:37) You need the rear brake. It's that simple.

Also, if your bike is insured and something happens that they can contribute the accident to the lack of a rear caliper. They might drop their coverage or refuse to pay.
How about one of the most obvious things here? I seriously doubt it would even pass inspection with no rear brake.

BUSAFETT

I've seen alot of ppl doing weigh shaving from the bike, and results are anywhere from few dollars to thousands...not even 50 to 100s pounds.
few pounds here and there...with all that money. you rather start running or go to Bally and start workout...thats waaay faster and money saving and sure for healthier...
and for the rear brake? I wouldn't mess with it, if I was you...
all_coholic.gif

I had an old azz in a pickup pull out in front of me running triple digits and contrary to popular belief The Busa will stop quickly. Rear brake misapplied will cause the azz to kick out, it's usually self correcting. Same thing happens in down shifting if you're not careful. Helps with stopping, twisties, and wheelies. I'd rather have the weight bro. MHO

Back