Rear brake question

KanjiBusa

Seizures Suck!
Donating Member
Registered
I just rode my buddies R1 he just bought, and WOW his rear brake works INCREDIBLE!!! It is so sensitive, and has great braking. One question, On the busa, I dont understand why you need so much pressure to get it to brake, and why it doesnt catch real hard. Do wave rotors make a difference, I have SS lines and EBC HH pads, and the rear brake just doesnt feel like it could be doing its best. Could it be the resivoir piston? If I put a bigger one in would it make it more sensitive and grip better?

Thank you all for your input

KB

A few people have modded the entire front braking system on their bikes. If you've got the coin, then go for it. I think some people have gone with a Brembo setup.

But most people will just go with Galfer wave rotors, stainless lines, and the EBC pads. The Galfers will make your system top-notch in my opinion.

(bacharles @ Apr. 11 2007,02:14) A few people have modded the entire front braking system on their bikes.  If you've got the coin, then go for it.  I think some people have gone with a Brembo setup.
REAR BRAKES....Bro
wink.gif

Shake your head...your eye balls are stuck
laugh.gif

(06BUSA @ Apr. 11 2007,03:58) don't forget that R1 doesn't carry the weight of a Busa.
+1 you can't compare the weight of the two plus look at that little rear rotor it has no where near the stopping power of your two front ones and most of you weight is up front. It is very rare that I will ever use my rear brake.
biggrin.gif

I'm saving all my pennies for a full set of Brembos.....
super.gif
...I'm not at all impressed with the rear braking, but if I'm going to drop $1500 in coin, I'm getting brakes that make the machine do what I tell it to do........until then
rock.gif
?........soft rear and semi-sturdy fronts.

Here is a pic of my Brembo rear caliper,the caliper hanger that I made and the stock rear rotor that I modded

1999Busa1.jpg

Hmmmm....you had to manufacture your own rear bracket
rock.gif
?.......what's that all about ?. Other than that..........LOOKS SWEET !!!!!!
super.gif
Build me a bracket, and I'm in there.

BTW are those Dymag rear wheels you're running or are my eyes deceiving me
rock.gif
wow.gif

rock.gif

(Spudley @ Apr. 11 2007,05:16) Hmmmm....you had to manufacture your own rear bracket
rock.gif
?.......what's that all about ?.  Other than that..........LOOKS SWEET !!!!!!
super.gif

rock.gif
wow.gif
He made the bracket so he could run a Brembo caliper...and those wheels are BST's
wink.gif

rock.gif

Okay, so when I purchase the rear Brembo caliper, I'll have to do the same, right
rock.gif
........Now the fronts come as a kit I take it ??.......by the way, BST's look awesome !!!!
super.gif

(Spudley @ Apr. 11 2007,05:30) Okay, so when I purchase the rear Brembo caliper, I'll have to do the same, right
rock.gif
........Now the fronts come as a kit I take it ??.......by the way, BST's look awesome !!!!
super.gif
Brembo makes a complete kit for the front
wink.gif
looks like he did the rear on his own.

But does Brembo make a rear brake kit, to your knowledge
rock.gif

Hmmmmm....now I'm starting to get it.
super.gif
See you on Friday, we'll talk more about it then !!!!

(Spudley @ Apr. 11 2007,05:16) Hmmmm....you had to manufacture your own rear bracket
rock.gif
?.......what's that all about ?.  Other than that..........LOOKS SWEET !!!!!!
super.gif

rock.gif
wow.gif
I had the make my own braket to clear the swingarm. Those are BST Wheels.

1999Busa4.jpg

rock.gif

(KanjiBusa @ Apr. 11 2007,00:20) I just rode my buddies R1 he just bought, and WOW his rear brake works INCREDIBLE!!! It is so sensitive, and has great braking. One question, On the busa, I dont understand why you need so much pressure to get it to brake, and why it doesnt catch real hard. Do wave rotors make a difference, I have SS lines and EBC HH pads, and the rear brake just doesnt feel like it could be doing its best. Could it be the resivoir piston? If I put a bigger one in would it make it more sensitive and grip better?

Thank you all for your input

KB
Rear brakes?? What are those used for?
tounge.gif

Rear brakes?? You mean that little lever on the rightside that I only use when I'm sitting on a hill so I can sit up until the light changes. And I tap it once in a while to get the attention of the cars behind me.
SHOCKED.gif
Oh my rear brakes work GREAT!
super.gif

I had the same issue when I bought my bike, I took it back and asked the service manager to check the rear brake because I didn't think it was working.  Well it was and I learned that it is just adequate enough to provide good trail braking but not overly so to allow you to lock up the rear wheel unintentionally. I use a technique called 'trail braking' going into and through some corners and I am surprised at the number of comments regarding not using the rear brake. It is essential that you learn to use both brakes in combination or indepentently to maintain proper control.  I did find this article that gives an explaination of trail braking.

My Webpage

I believe the R1 has a 2 piston rear caliper vs. the busa's 1 piston. Also, the R1 has roughly 100 less pounds to stop. And, R1's have a Brembo rear master cylinder. All this equals much better braking than the busas unchanged brake technology from 1999.

Back