Rear brake question

mzrsq

Busaless
Donating Member
Registered
After removing my rear wheel and installing my powdercoat stuff last spring, I had very little rear brake. No big deal, at least I'd never have to worry about locking it up. Anyways, very short ride (5 miles) today as it's 35 degree's, the rear brake foot lever is not releasing and seems to have very little movement in it. Any idea's, a common problem? I've never really heard much complaint about the operation aspect of the rear brakes, but mine appear to be NOT working.

Thanks for any info

Put the bike up on a rear stand and try spinning the rear wheel by hand to see if you have any binding or
resistance. Apply the rear brake and see if it stops the wheel rotation, this will at least tell you if the rear brake is even working. Does the brake "grab" unevenly at all when you apply it? This might imply a warped disc, or maybe the rear wheel is out of alignment.

You've either got something seizing/sticking (brake pads not retracting or not extending, brake piston sticking?) or you're losing/have lost brake fluid or fluid pressure (low reservoir level, air in the lines, leaking?)

If the pads are sticking in the "on" position, that would be like riding with the rear brake on all the time, look for bluing/discoloration of the rear disc, or feel it to see if it's getting very hot very quickly.

Check the movement of the foot pedal/lever for slack or poor adjustment, or to see if the piston is going in and out.

Check your fluid level in the reservoir, top it up or bleed the system if necessary.

Look for signs of brake fluid leaking from the system and dripping on to other parts of the bike, on to the garage floor etc.

Hope this helps.

DAB just pretty much wrapped it up
wink.gif

Like I said in my first post, after reinstalling everything last spring the rear brake was very weak, but I wasn't overly concerned about it.  My very last ride of the fall when I first started out the bike felt weird, pulled into a parking lot and the rear rotor was fairly warm (not glowing or anything) from the brake dragging (had only gone about 3 miles).  Anyways, messed around with it for a few and it was fine after that, felt as it had all season.

So today, just a quick ride up the street and back, slow down to turn back into the driveway, rear brake feels solid at pedal.  When I checked it out it seems there's very little movement up and down on the lever and the lever doesn't want to return to the up position without some help.

I don't think the pads are dragging now or anythings warped because when I started the bike while up on the stand in neutral the rear wheel was slowly going around, if there was any friction at all I'm sure it would have stopped.  It seems the binding is either in the piston thingy mounted to the rearset, or a bind in the lever itself, but the lever returned fine all last season.

I didn't have a lot of time to look at it as it was time to go to dinner.  Is there a spring or anything attached to the lever that brings it back up or just the pressure from the brake cylinder?

There's definitely NO leaks anywhere, everythings dry, that's one of the few things I did check.

Might just have to pull the lever and all off and see whats to be seen.

Thanks Dab

Back