Super Ultra Mega Clean

rdnckjim

Registered
Trying to clean all this chain lube, and other assorted grease from areas that my bike has been storing it in, chain cleaner is awesome but expensive in England. Anything else I can use to eat that stubborn grease but won't damage the bike?

i use what the owner's manual recommends: kerosene. works great, safe on the chain and cheap!

Kerosene works well as others said, just make sure you don't try and Cheat and have the bike running in gear on the stands, good way to lose a finger....

Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

Kerosene works well as others said, just make sure you don't try and Cheat and have the bike running in gear on the stands, good way to lose a finger....

Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

That's the truth! Did that mistake when I was a kid with my dirt bike!

brake cleaner works fantastic, but i've heard it's not great for the o rings in the chain.

If you read my post, I said ON A RAG. I do not spray WD on the chain. I spray it on a rag and wipe the chain with it. Kerosene does the same thing as WD, it will dry out rubber.

What little is on the rag does not affect the O-rings any....

ANY petroleum distillate will, eventually have a negative effect on rubber parts. Motor oil, gasoline, penetrating oil, kerosene, etc. UNLESS that rubber was designed to be in contact with those products.

That is why I just wipe it with a rag sprayed with the WD. As often as I cange chains, it would not matter anyway :rofl:

ANY petroleum distillate will, eventually have a negative effect on rubber parts. Motor oil, gasoline, penetrating oil, kerosene, etc. UNLESS that rubber was designed to be in contact with those products.

That is why I just wipe it with a rag sprayed with the WD. As often as I cange chains, it would not matter anyway :rofl:

Good to know,

Back