Cleaning & Lubing Chain

Jaddie

Registered
Dear Friends

I understand that the chain is supposed to be lubed when it's hot. I suppose riding the bike for a few miles will do that.

But when you clean the chain, it has no lube on it at all when you're done, right? Do you ride the bike to get the freshly cleaned chain warm before applying lube, or do you apply some lube to the cold and freshly cleaned chain before riding the bike (and thereby get your rear wheel nasty)?

Must the chain be removed to clean it, or can you pour kerosene on the chain as you rotate the rear wheel using a rear stand?

Thank you again for your advice!

BEGIN TANGENT--

I really, really appreciate the PowerPoint presentation for changing the oil on an '08 'Busa. I wish we had one for cleaning and lubing the chain. A lot of you obviously have experience with mechanical things, but there are those of us who have less mechanical acumen than Steve Earkle (of "Did I do that?" fame).

We might create a section on this board entitled "Things You Need To Know" to educate those new and old to the world of 'Busas and/or motorcycling in general. We could offer professionally written and designed PDFs complete with full-color, annotated images. I could handle the layout, design, and editing, but I don't have the technical knowledge to create the base content.

We'd have complete how-to advice for changing the oil and filter; chain maintenance; detailing tips and tricks; suspension adjustment and maintenance; brake adjustment and maintenance; choosing riding apparel; trailering (choosing a trailer, customizing, maintenance, security, and general use), installation instructions and advice for popular modifications such as exhausts, footpegs, HID lights, windscreens, handlebars, and risers; and anything else that'd have broad appeal. And in these professionally designed documents we could feature board sponsors, such as tips from Smithers on how to keep your 'Busa's engine in tip-top shape.

--END TANGENT

Best stuff I've found for cleaning your chain is Motorex Chain Clean 611. I order that stuff directly from Motorex a case at a time. Makes chain cleaning a breeze. I also use their chain lube which works also works very well.

Best stuff I've found for cleaning your chain is Motorex Chain Clean 611. I order that stuff directly from Motorex a case at a time. Makes chain cleaning a breeze. I also use their chain lube which works also works very well.
Dear Steven

Do you have to remove your chain to clean it, or just spray the cleaner to the chain?

Once the chain is clean, do you ride the bike to warm up the chain prior to lubing it, or do you apply lube to the cold and freshly cleaned chain?

Jaddie,
I just use a tooth brush and some kerosene to clean chain while on rear stand. Remove chain guard. Move tire/chain apply kero to brush, scrub inside link/top center/bottom center/outside link, repeat until you get back to starting point. Then I rotate wheel BY HAND wiping chain down with rag to get excess kero and any grime off. Then take for a short 5mile or so spin to warm up chain. Apply wax. Clean rim swingarm and anything else that got dirty in process. Let sit overnight.  
thumb_up.gif

Jaddie,
I just use a tooth brush and some kerosene to clean chain while on rear stand. Remove chain guard. Move tire/chain apply kero to brush, scrub inside link/top center/bottom center/outside link, repeat until you get back to starting point. Then I rotate wheel BY HAND wiping chain down with rag to get excess kero and any grime off. Then take for a short 5mile or so spin to warm up chain. Apply wax. Clean rim swingarm and anything else that got dirty in process. Let sit overnight.  
thumb_up.gif
I use rags and brushes with kerosene to remove all the grime from the chain and rear sprocket (front sprocket is a completely different animal to get to), but no need to remove the rear wheel. After kerosene has had time to evaporate, I prop it up on jack stands using a 5/8" steel dowel rod running through the center frame holes. Then I run it in first gear til' the chain is warm (don't worry bike is solid) and apply Castrol Chain Wax.

I had been using MaximaChain Wax but all the riders at the local Cycle Gear swear by the Castrol so I'll give it a shot.

Castrol_Chain_Wax.jpg

Tip for AFTER you've applied chain lube or wax, just let the bike site for a while before riding again, or you'll sling lube all over the undertail
smile.gif

beerchug.gif

I clean it with the wallmart version of wd-40 on a rag.

On the top side of the bottom chain run,1 small drop of chain lube on each roller. It won't sling off and it's good for 1 ride (110-130 miles)

Tip for AFTER you've applied chain lube or wax, just let the bike site for a while before riding again, or you'll sling lube all over the undertail  
smile.gif

beerchug.gif
Bingo!
The point of cleaning and lubing a warm chain other than the dirt comes off easier and the lube penetrates better is it's warm at the END of a ride. Cleaning a cold chain before you ride will sling lube all over your rear*. Let the solvents in the lube evaporate overnight. A warm room temp I find is good enough. The chain doesn't have to be hot to the touch.

cheers
ken

*If you want really lube slung all over your rear (and I'm not saying you do) there are forums other than this one (I presume)that would provide a greater opportunity of finding someone to "help" you with said lube slinging.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I started (about 20 years ago) heating the chain a bit to even clean it... I just take the bike running in low gear and warm the chain with my heat gun..

I shut the bike off and with a kerosene (I have used diesel) soaked rag, I just give it a good back and forth scrubbing.. The warm chain cleans really easy..

I re warm the chain again, and apply the lube (just started using chain wax after a lot of years of PJ lube)

You can find everything w/ the search function.
Dear Michael

I used the search function and could not find whether I must remove the chain to clean it or if I should ride with an unlubricated chain to warm it up prior to lubing it.
Do not remove the chain to clean it, just use brush & WD-40, etc. stand. Wipe clean w/ towel. Ride it after cleaning for a short distance to get chain warm, then lube. Wipe all excess lube off or it will get on everything & anyone behind you.

Whatever you do, do not try to lube or clean chain w/ bike in gear.You can lose a finger.

Hope that helps.

Although kerosine and a rag is fine, there is a chain cleaning brush available at motorcycle parts shops (ones that deal alot with dirt bikes are the most likely). It's a squared off U shape brush that, with WD-40 applied before brushing, makes my chain look shiny new each time. Surgical gloves, bike up on rear stand, spin the wheel when brushing, do top and bottom of chain...AND always clean off the buildup on your rear sprocket. It's not very visible but getting that mound of old, dirty lube off the sprocket, I think, really prolongs the drive system's life. After applying the new clear stuff, I wipe down just the gold plates. We all got R ways! Raydog

Dear Jaddie,  

Here is the proceedure I use to clean and maintain my chain. The maintenance schedule says to clean your chain every 600 miles but rarely does anyone clean the chain that often.

First off, I remove the chain guard and give it a toss. Makes life much easier. Secondly, if you have a single side aftermarket exhaust system, that also adds to the ease of cleaning the chain. A rear stand is not a must but a great advantage in chain maintenance.

Up on the stand, I use the mororex chain clean 611. Spin the rear tire with one hand while I sray the chain with the other. As the chain rotates you can watch the gunk peal away under the high pressure of the spray. If the chain is really nasty, it takes two or maybe three applications of the chain cleaner to get the job done. Hit the chain with high pressure water between attacks with the motorex chain cleaner.

Then, I take a scrub brush along with a bottle of "Soft Scrub" and work on the chain scrubbing that puppy thoroughly on both sides. Then hit the chain with high pressure water while spinning the rear tire and that puppy will look brand new. I generally use either Suzuki Wash or Motorex bike wash and spray the chain down along with the sprocket, hub, swing arm, brake and just about anything else that's dirty. A little more high pressure water from the garden hose and the job is complete. Cleaning that is.

Now it's time to dry the bugger off. I use compressed air to dry the spocket and chain thoroughly. If you don't have a compressor, fire the beast up and put her in 6th gear and let her idle. The chain will spin fairly fast and doesn't take long to dry the chain as well as warm it as well.

I do not use oil on my chain. I use a good chain wax. while the chain is warm, I put the beast in first gear and let the engine idle. As the chain spins, I spray it down very lightly with wax. I use a House for Sale sign to place between the tire and chain while I spray on the wax. You "DO NOT" want any wax on your tire. I let her set for an hour or more before I take it out for a ride. One other thing you can do is take a clean dry rag and wipe the chain down after waxing to get any excess wax off.

I personally never use WD40 which is a penetrating oil on my chains. Although some recommend it, I don't think it's a good idea.

I have owned 20 or so bikes since 1978 and have yet to replace a chain for any reason. They'll last forever given proper TLC.
Clean it every 300 miles! Once you get the routine down, it will only take approx 15 minutes to complete the job. After a ride, so as to have a warm chain, soak a rag in kerosene and rub it back and forth on all surfaces with the bike on a rear stand so that the wheel can be rotated. Clean between the teeth of the sprocket while you're at it. Then rub the chain dry with a clean, dry rag. The best no-fling lube out there is Maxima Chain Wax, most everything else will get your rims and under fender area dirty. Apply it as instructed on the can as you rotate the tire by hand. Be careful about putting your bike in gear while it's on the stand. Years back a guy that owned a CBR1100XX lost two fingers that way, his rag got caught between chain and sprocket and pulled his fingers in there before he knew what happened. To each his own, but personally I would never attempt it.

Jaddie,
thumb_up.gif
+1

Dear Friends

I really appreciate this information!

I love Randy's suggestion for using a heat gun. That sounds less stressful on the chain than riding the bike to warm the chain. Now I just have to get a heat gun. I assume Wal-Mart stocks heat guns.

You guys dramatically heighten my enjoyment of my 'Busa. Thank you!

Jaddie,
thumb_up.gif
+1
+1 I use a small pot filled with refo to dip toothbrush in. My Clymer's Manual says you can take the chain off and dip it in kero if too dirty for first manner of cleaning.

Don't be so stingy, get a manual too.

Mike

Back