Stupid Newbie Question

T5eater

Registered
When checking the oil level through the inspection window, should the bike be on the sidestand, or held up where it is sitting level (front fork perpendicular to the floor)? I am guessing it should be checked with the bike sitting up and level, but the manual does not say and I am not 100% certain.

The reason I ask, is that I looked at the bike the other day and there was no oil in the window. I stood the bike up, and it read the proper levels (through the window). I'm sure I'm just being paranoid, but would rather be safe than sorry.

iamwithstupid.gif
smile.gif

That's the way I see it. Better to be paranoid and ask dumb questions than to have an f'ed up bike (especially this one).

Thanks for the help guys.

If you use a rear stand, it will keep the bike level (side to side) but will tilt the bike forward. This makes the oil level appear lower than it actually is, since the oil runs forward in the pan -- away from the glass. Just something to keep in mind.

Also, run the engine for a minute or two before standing it up to check it.

BTW - you can add 1 +/- HP by keeping the level on the low side. Just remember to always keep the level ABOVE the low marking.

And for those of you moaning about 1 measly HP, eff you... I keep reading about air filter this and pair valve that... 1 HP for free is one more HP bizitch!
tounge.gif

Back