Oil change questions

Couple tricks I use:
1) Aluminum foil over the headers before removing filter - keeps oil off headers.
2) I go the full 2 turns: A leak = oiled back tire --> bad!
3) Check magnet on drain plug for metal --> clean
4) Tape over upper clips on fairing before reinstall -- stops scratches.
5) Leave slot on plastic fairing clip facing out --> easire to get off next time.
6) Change oil when hot/warm.
7) Wash hands before eating.
s

Dep, This is the same thing I posted on your other thread.

Never in the four years of owning the Hayabusa have I EVER had a leak from using the same o-ring.

Countless threads on SH.Org over the years have concluded the same thing. Spend you money on other things, replacement is not needed. :cool:

Filter every other change. It simply doesn't get dirty enough to warrant the funds.

And, the ring you use on the drain plug STAYS with the bike.

Don't replace it e v e r y t i m e ! :super:
I'm getting ready to do my first oil change on the Busa (see other thread I started). Are you saying there IS an o-ring on the drain plug? I saw no mention of it in the service manual, but with my past experience with o-rings, I think I'd WANT to replace it with every oil change. It's not exactly expensive and it IS a possible source of leaks.

Dep
Dep,

As I stated, 'Stay with THAT ring!'

The only leak you will develope will come from stripping the threads. Lets hope that doesn't happen.

BTW, tightening; clean threads, on your back, insert in pan, finger tight until you can no more. Then, with a 19mm closed end, tighten until the ring and plug 'meet' (this is where you need a certain 'touch') turn down (up) until they bind. Final 'cinch' to end. This is a 'touch' that aluminum DEMANDS.

If you are scared, then use your torque wrench, wench!

Ypu should not be able to turn back with your fingers to untighten.

I NEVER use a torque wrench on my plug. It's all by feel. I know, that it is tightened and not coming off.

Well now I have dissenting opinions on the ring around the drain bolt. Cookie says stay with the old one and flipz34 says replace it. I can't see the harm in replacing it. If it's a crush washer, it's already been crushed when it was installed. So I would guess it SHOULD be replaced to enable it to do it's job again. Right?

Dep

Couple tricks I use:
1) Aluminum foil over the headers before removing filter - keeps oil off headers.
2) I go the full 2 turns: A leak = oiled back tire --> bad!
3) Check magnet on drain plug for metal --> clean
4) Tape over upper clips on fairing before reinstall -- stops scratches.
5) Leave slot on plastic fairing clip facing out --> easire to get off next time.
6) Change oil when hot/warm.
7) Wash hands before eating.
s
Good tips, qwck. Especially the foil over the headers... and washin' before ya eat. :laugh:

I still can't figure out if what you guys are talking about is a washer or o-ring?:super:
An o-ring is made out of rubber.
A washer is generally made out of metal.
Just because a washer may be inconvenient to get off, DOESN'T mean it shouldn't be replaced.
Not being argumentative here or impuning anyone's personal experiences, but I'd like to know WHY I shouldn't replace whatever it is (o-ring or washer) that is on that drain bolt, other than it's inconvenient to remove. An 80 cent part won't send me to the poorhouse :)

Dep

Nobody said you SHOULDN'Treplace it, they only said that it wasn't necessary. It's a decision only you can make, I guess. If you want to replace it, then replace it.  ;)

And it's a washer, not a rubber o-ring... I think someone said it was a crush washer.

It is NOT a rubber O-ring....it is a metal washer...although the manuals state that it is a metal gasket....

At 80 cents it is not a dent in the wallet...although some on this board might be a bit low on funds (from all those cool mods!) and put the money to better use. You can't really lose by replacing it every oil change even if you changed your oil monthly; unless it really is a major pain in the ass to remove.

Ahhh...okay. So it IS a washer. Think I'll take a ride out to Suzuki and buy a few. What the heck...can't hurt.

Thanks guys...I appreciate all the input!!!! :beerchug:

Dep

I paid 50 cents for my washers....buy enough stuff and they'll prolly throw a few in for free.

Back