Is Oil Consumption Normal?

V-Max 2 Busa

Registered
Bought my 05 Busa with 6,700 miles and reciept of last oil change from dealer at 6,500 miles. I did my first oil change on the bike at 8,700 miles and went to Amsoil MCF full synthetic (4 qts. with new filter, level to top of window), checked oil level today at 12,500 miles, it took 22 ounces to put it back to the top of the window, is this to be expected? Normal for this low milage? I really didn't expect it to have gone down that much. By the way, yes the bike was level and not on the side stand.

If you ride hard more "blow by" is expected from your cylinders. It does'nt matter what you ride or drive you will eat a little bit of oil. Just keep an eye on it, and pay attention on what color smoke is coming out your exhaust. Blue smoke is no good...

My 02 with 8500 miles does the exact same thing. I have a friend with an 03 which also uses almost the exact same amount of oil as yours does. I guess it is not all that uncommon for these bikes to use some oil. Just check it every 1000 miles or so.

Buddy has a CBR1000 that burns a quart of expensive synthetic every 1000 miles. Came from Honda with synthetic in it and I suspect the rings didn't seat well into the cylinders.??? JMO

Buddy has a CBR1000 that burns a quart of expensive synthetic every 1000 miles. Came from Honda with synthetic in it and I suspect the rings didn't seat well into the cylinders.??? JMO

There is something wrong on that one.

Sorry to hear this. Some rings seat better than others I guess as different motors are broken in differently. Some bores may also measure differently. My 06 has never used any oil and I changed to Amsoil at the 3rd change as I recall. Bought mine new though (4 miles) and it seldom sees repeated redline runs. Another example of differences, my 79 CBX uses oil, about a Qt every 6-800 miles and it has 50,000 on it. My 82 CBX hardly uses any oil and its got 90,000 on it. One maintenance difference is that the 82 was switched to Amsoil at 25,000 miles and the 79 has always had dinosaur oil in it. Valve guides can cause oil consumption problems too.

seeing how you ride your busa gene should be good. mine used a little oil like that after 15k. slow down for us slow guys :thumbsup:

Before my bike disappeared, at 22,000 miles, it didn't use a drop of oil between changes.

Well looks like I'm getting some mixed results, some burn oil and some don't. I'm wondering if the one's that don't appear to burn oil are actually getting the oil changed more frequently thus a minimal amount isn't really noticed, I do recall checking the level a while back and it appeared fine. I will definetly be checking the level on a more frequent basis from now on. I don't think it is due to hard riding, I don't believe that I ride the bike all that hard, I don't think I've even taken it to redline in any gear, shoot I havn't even worked up the balls to get the front tire off the ground, tried a couple times but havn't worked up the courage to smack the throttle hard enough...yet. Also the previous owner claimed to have babied the bike never riding it hard.

Not good my brother, I ride hard, 1507cc and I never go through oil. Then again, maybe I don't ride hard enough.

see, i dont ride hard either. but i have no clue where the oil is going. there is no smoke, nothen in the header and the valves looked fine. so im stumped.

I use Amsoil to and I add 3/4 on 3000 or so but I do ride it hard most of the time. My cousins 05 cbr uses some oil to. If he would engine break then get on it hard it would smoke blue pretty bad but it doesnt matter now its wrecked now. I m glad I wont be following it anymore it smelled out the exhaust all the time.

if i recall, you are only supposed to fill the oil only half way on the site glass which i believe is 3.5 qts. i know when i used to fill it up to the top of the site glass, the motor will release excess oil and burn off when under pressure. maybe someone will chime in with better details. ???

Lotta posts on the 3.5 qts thing too. 3.5 quarts after an oil/filter change puts mine at the very bottom line of the sight glass, 4 quarts puts it right on the top line where it for 3200 miles so far has stayed.
IMO 3.5 qts is the bare minimum amount to fill it with and leaves no room for error, if it does use any, your low on oil.
As for oil usage, pull the plugs and see if you have a dark one. If all look the same, 1/2 quart between changes could be considered normal. If it's all going through one cylinder, then there's likely a problem.

Back