oil consumption.. how much does our bikes do?

AZIROC

Registered
so i am leaving for work a few nights ago and for a split second, my low oil light comes on. i watch it and it doesnt do it the rest of the way to work, or on the way home. when i get home, i look at the oil window, and i cant see anything. so i go to the autostore, get some oil and a filter and do an oil change. About 3 qts of oil came out when i drained it. does out bikes just KNOW when we last changed the oil, it was damn near exactly 3000 miles *planned on doing the oil change this wekeend anyway*. anywho, what would caus 3/4-1 qt of oil lose in the bike? its not burning oil and i dont have a leak anywhere. or is that sound about right for our bikes as far as oil consumption?

Not sure about other bikes, but mine doesnt drink much oil. maybe it depends on how hard your riding it. I run Amsoil Synthetic & change it out every 3000 miles, and think I usually ad 1/4 to 1/2 quart for routine maintance between changes.
wink.gif

never lost a drop...but then again it's never gone more than 1500 milies (except for that trip to the GAP
wink.gif
) without getting fresh oil either.

when you say "autostore"...I am presuming you are getting non-suzuki filters and prolly regular generic dino-oil eh?
rock.gif

to each thier-own.

<!--EDIT|BusaCruise
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134536961 -->

mine didn't use any until it started to burn it. Under normal riding it was fine but once you started riding it harder up in the hills the oil would disappare. If the bike started to get hot in traffic it would start to smoke pretty bad. How much soot to you have on your tail pipes? What year is your bike and do you have any warrenty left? If so take it back to them and start a paper trail. That way if the warrenty is about out atleast you got the ball rolling and they should still cover it. My bike wound up needing a ring job at about 12000 miles.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

mad.gif

mad.gif

never lost a drop...but then again it's never gone more than 1500 milies (except for that trip to the GAP
wink.gif
 ) without getting fresh oil either.

when you say "autostore"...I am presuming you are getting non-suzuki filters and prolly regular generic dino-oil eh?
rock.gif

to each thier-own.
actually, its mobil 1 gold cap and a K&N filter.. all i ever use.

mine didn't use any until it started to burn it.  Under normal riding it was fine but once you started riding it harder up in the hills the oil would disappare.  If the bike started to get hot in traffic it would start to smoke pretty bad.  How much soot to you have on your tail pipes?  What year is your bike and do you have any warrenty left?  If so take it back to them and start a paper trail.  That way if the warrenty is about out atleast you got the ball rolling and they should still cover it.  My bike wound up needing a ring job at about 12000 miles.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
the bikes really clean, thats the thing.  i cant find out where its going. its an '01 and i just hit 10k miles. maybe i will take it in just for a check up to make sure everything is ok.

<!--EDIT|AZIROC
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134545425 -->

mad.gif

mad.gif

the bike only holds like 3 1/2 to 3/4 quarts anyways . i have never lost a drop myself, and i changed it no more than every 2,000 miles at max

had about the same deal with mine since the last oil change.. 1/2 quart.

I attributed it to the track day I did on it.. IE.. running the piss outta it for about 250 miles.

I'm watching it pretty closely now and it doesn't seem to be doing much..

01 with right at 15k on it now.

yea, for the last 1000 miles, i have ridden it pretty hard, so im wondering it thats it. i to will b watching it, and prob change the oil at 2k miles and see how much i get out of it.

Mine's an '05 with 2850 miles. I changed the oil and filter at 30 miles, 600, and 2000, and haven't noticed any consumption or loss. BTW I did the motoman break in as the last air cooled suzuki I had used about 1/2 to 1 qt every 3000 miles.

Also, I've also made sure it's completely up to operating temp before "playing"
tounge.gif

Only drops I have lost were because I didn't tighten the cap all the way!
biggrin.gif

so i am leaving for work a few nights ago and for a split second, my low oil light comes on.
This is not oil level light....
smile.gif

Common mistake.... I know that many people think that it is.

that where you should kill you engine at once and check oil level. Nothing could be worse then oil starvation.

so i am leaving for work a few nights ago and for a split second, my low oil light comes on.
This is not oil level light....
smile.gif

Common mistake.... I know that many people think that it is.

that where you should kill you engine at once and check oil level. Nothing could be worse then oil starvation.
then they would the light kick on for that sec, even though ive been riding for a few minutes b 4 it kicked on?

Back