Is Oil Consumption Normal?

I am pretty sure if you are loosing oil its not a good thing. I've never seen a high performance engine loose oil. Not that I am an expert. But I have been in a few pit crews.(stock cars with 600hp) It probably means the motor wasn't broken in correctly. Causing the rings not to seal.

I am pretty sure if you are loosing oil its not a good thing. I've never seen a high performance engine loose oil. Not that I am an expert. But I have been in a few pit crews.(stock cars with 600hp) It probably means the motor wasn't broken in correctly. Causing the rings not to seal.

not saying you're wrong here,but you take the owners manual to ANY highperformance vehicle mustang,vette,viper etc. and read it.it's states that haveing to add oil in between intervals is normal,and you know a brandnew car isn't leaking oil right?? well that means it's buring it a little.and i own a 500+ HP mustang thats a street/strip car, and even it uses a little in between changes.and i know folks that have cars/bike doing the same thing.point here is....if it's not useing ALOT of oil then don't worry.if the smoke is not blue then don't worry.just ride and enjoy it!

Last edited:
My 02 uses about half a quart every 3000 miles and the compression on all 4 cylinders are all right around the low end at 172psi. I'm only guessing here but I think that the busa's that use a little oil did not get the best break in procedure, and a little oil slips past the rings. As long as you are not finding a bunch of metallic shavings in your oil and the engine isn't making any knocking sounds, just add a little oil between changes.:beerchug:

Well looks like I'm getting some mixed results, some burn oil and some don't. I'm wondering if the one's that don't appear to burn oil are actually getting the oil changed more frequently thus a minimal amount isn't really noticed, I do recall checking the level a while back and it appeared fine. I will definetly be checking the level on a more frequent basis from now on. I don't think it is due to hard riding, I don't believe that I ride the bike all that hard, I don't think I've even taken it to redline in any gear, shoot I havn't even worked up the balls to get the front tire off the ground, tried a couple times but havn't worked up the courage to smack the throttle hard enough...yet. Also the previous owner claimed to have babied the bike never riding it hard.

After following you for a couple hundred miles I can say that I never saw any smoke, but I sure could smell it. In fact I could smell it on my shirt when I got home. I thought maybe you were running something other than pump gas or were mixing in an additive of some sort.

After following you for a couple hundred miles I can say that I never saw any smoke, but I sure could smell it. In fact I could smell it on my shirt when I got home. I thought maybe you were running something other than pump gas or were mixing in an additive of some sort.

That is why I WILL NEVER BUY a Used Bike !!!!!!!! Unless I Personally know the Owner and have Ridden with Them.

Could it be the AMSOIL Gene ?
Change the oil with Regular 1040 Motorcycle Oil and see what Happens. Just my 2 Cents
:dunno:

Well looks like I'm getting some mixed results, some burn oil and some don't. I'm wondering if the one's that don't appear to burn oil are actually getting the oil changed more frequently thus a minimal amount isn't really noticed, I do recall checking the level a while back and it appeared fine. I will definetly be checking the level on a more frequent basis from now on. I don't think it is due to hard riding, I don't believe that I ride the bike all that hard, I don't think I've even taken it to redline in any gear, shoot I havn't even worked up the balls to get the front tire off the ground, tried a couple times but havn't worked up the courage to smack the throttle hard enough...yet. Also the previous owner claimed to have babied the bike never riding it hard.

Well IMO, You just answered your question, THE ENGINE WAS BABIED TOO MUCH DURING BREAK IN! Seems to me that the rings never got "GAS LOADED" enough to seat. Good news is, if is not smoking, still good performance, no WET plugs, then it will probably be fine. Your just not getting the maximum HP out of your engine, ie, loosing some cyl PSI do to blow by. IF your really wanting to know the shape of your engine, do a "CYL-LEAK-DOWN-TEST"(this will pin point problem also) and dont get talked into, or fooled by a compression test....these are not as accurate as a leak down test. JUST MY :2cents: GOOD LUCK
btw, if you need some help, PM Me :beerchug:

That is why I WILL NEVER BUY a Used Bike !!!!!!!! Unless I Personally know the Owner and have Ridden with Them.

Could it be the AMSOIL Gene ?
Change the oil with Regular 1040 Motorcycle Oil and see what Happens. Just my 2 Cents
:dunno:

Alright my .02 cents.....I have the 05' motor, 35,000 miles, I have run Amsoil MCF 10/40 since 800 miles and I use a full four quarts with a fresh EAoM 109 Amsoil filter every time. I ran it hard on the break in period. Plenty of 5,000 rpm action. I burn nothing now. I didn't run the motor into the high rpms, because that can do as much damage, as bogging around town.

You "could" change back to dyno Suzuki oil for 500 miles and run it hard. That is, lots of winding it up, sustained high rpm riding (keeping the revs up),and letting it wind down stuff. This would allow the rings to get to know the cylinder linings a little better. This would keep the rings loaded and possibly get a little better mating of the ring / cylinder surfaces. Then after 500 miles, continue with the Amsoil and see where you end up. You aren't going to lose anything by trying.

MCF doesn't require a whole lot of down force to scrape the wall clean on the down-strokes so it's not the Amsoil, unlike Dyno which actually can dynamically slow the stroke down.

Try it, maybe you're just running around on unseated rings....you're still in the low mileage, so it would be to your benefit. :super: .

Back