stickiest street tire available for the Gen 2

If you are looking for maximum performance from the Q2, Dunlop says 28-30 rear 30-31 front (cold) depending on outside air temp. However, you shouldn't be riding hard enough on the streets to need max performance. Your Busa is heavy as well as you so I'd suggest 34-36 cold pressure in both ends.

34-36 gives you a nice balance between handling and grip. The lower pressures will give more heat in the tire as well as a bigger contact patch. The down side is slower turn in and heavier steering.

The higher pressure gives quicker steering while giving up some grip due to less heat accompanied by a smaller contact patch.

Choices in tire performance is a balancing act. In order to gain in one area you must give up something in another area. As my daddy use to say "There are no free rides". :dunno:

No, 30/30 is too low for the street. 35 would be fine for street. Since you are a little bigger guy, 36-38 might be good also.

Lankee, I know you've seen my cupped Q2's on the street, but I've never seen your Michelins on the track....:laugh:

Yeah Yeah Yeah....... Track Whack Smack...
Not really sure where this guy got his CT2's at. I am 250+ suited and no way is the stock suspension setting even close.
My CT's have ALWAYS gripped even at the most extreme max angle. Even in the rain I can power lift in 2nd into 3rd...

tire PSI really depends on the tempature.
When the tires are warmed up to there operating temps I dont like to see over 36R and 37F

I would suggest spending some time setting up your Sag and Dampings MOSTLY your sag since your 250LB. I dont care if your running the best slick on a prepped track if your suspension is setup like a marshmallow on crack bouncing on a pogo stick no tire is going to keep contact with the road..
Lets take care the first problem and they talk tires...

Q2's here too, and hated all the Pilots. Had no confidence in the Pilot's grip.
They all wobbled badly on wheelies with small psi changes. Didn't like the corner feel either.
Q2's stick and hook regardless, and I ran them 34 to 36 hot front/rear on the street.
I set the sag too, so suspension isn't the issue.
I switched to running a Q2 front and a roadsmart rear also.
The roadsmart hooks alot better than you'de think, and wears out at the same pace as the front. Roughly 2500 to 3k miles a set. As opposed to around 1500 miles on a rear Q2. Just me too, everyone's mileage varies.
This rear is one of my Roadsmarts.

SDC11211.jpg

Not really sure where this guy got his CT2's at. I am 250+ suited and no way is the stock suspension setting even close.
My CT's have ALWAYS gripped even at the most extreme max angle. Even in the rain I can power lift in 2nd into 3rd...

When the tires are warmed up to there operating temps I dont like to see over 36R and 37F

I would suggest spending some time setting up your Sag and Dampings MOSTLY your sag since your 250LB. I dont care if your running the best slick on a prepped track if your suspension is setup like a marshmallow on crack bouncing on a pogo stick no tire is going to keep contact with the road..

I agree completely

How do you set the sag, damping, etc?? Since we weigh practically the same can you tell me how your suspension is set up?

Tuf says: "You fiddled with your suspension until it was noticeably worse then you quit"!

I see your Youtube suspension training is working amazingly well there Yank. :laugh:

If your suspension was set up properly you wouldn't be yarding the front tire up in the rain on a PP tire.

If you truly are getting the front airborne in the rain then your bike is cornering like a turd. :dunno:

I'm sure your youtube training video number 178 taught you this but I'll remind you just in case. Tuf Says: "Your swingarm angle is allowing too much weight transfer to the rear". Good for drag racing but turdly handling for a cornering bike.

Hot Damn Sixpack, looks like you shaved that tire. :laugh:

I have to admit, I've never seen a dot tire with all the tread worn of all the way across the face without leaving any traces of tread. Let's just say, you got the good out of that tire! :beerchug:

Hot Damn Sixpack, looks like you shaved that tire. :laugh:

I have to admit, I've never seen a dot tire with all the tread worn of all the way across the face without leaving any traces of tread. Let's just say, you got the good out of that tire! :beerchug:

He probably just did burn outs to wear out the side walls :laugh:

Dude your gonna fall off that thing! :laugh:

NICE PICTURE.

I always dreamed running a road course, but alas, I was born a drag racer.

Again very nice picture.

I can only two cents my drag racing experience and say the Shinko's I ve run treated me well. As for a roundy round tire, that I can't say if they would work or not compared to more profile oriented tires. But they definitely were an improvement over the stock tires.

Todd

Who doesn't? But, that is NOT a street tire that is a DOT SPEC Racing tire; 50% more expensive, lasts 1/3 as long as a Q2 and MUST HAVE HEAT to function properly...

I'm no bike tire expert by any means, but I know a really sticky compound on my car might as well be rollerskates when cold, dont think ive read it in here, but the more agressive (sticky) tire I would be cautious esp since we are in winter now.

Back