stickiest street tire available for the Gen 2

I like Q-2's, you could get some race tires if you want stickier. An example:

wm_normal_kng_2414.jpg

If you are having confidence issues with your PP 2ct's, let me say "You are not the only one" who has had issues with these tires. The list is long and you'll find my name on that list as well.

There are many contributing factors that dictates the amount of grip any given tire will provide. Proper suspension setup for your particular skill level and riding habits is by far the most important contribution to good grip. Throttle application runs a close second by balancing weight bias which keeps each tire properly loaded throughout the corner. Tire pressure, tire temperature, tire condition, steering input, body position all share some of the responsibility for maintaining tire grip. It's not "Just the tire" that makes the difference in grip.

The Dunlop Q2 most will argue is the best street performance tire available on planet earth today. The front tire in my view is every bit as good as the current Dunlop 211 GP-A Race Tire we use on all three race bikes. The Q2 rear is not quite race quality but close. Jason Pridmore (Star Motorcycle School) & Keith Code (California Super Bike School) both use the Dunlop Q2 exclusively for their rental bikes as well as the instructor bikes. If you have doubts about the Q2 I suggest attending a Pridmore school day and take a two up ride with Jason on a GSXR1K shod with the Q2's. You'll be impressed.

JP 2-up.jpg

I will say that the Q2 is our best selling tire whether it be a CBR600RR or a Hayabusa. It seems Dunlop made a street tire that performs well on any platform almost perfectly. Nearly any sportbike rider in the Toledo area that comes to Honda East has Dunlop Q2's on their bike. I can honestly say I've only ever seen 1 defective tire from them and it happen to be a guy that works here in the 180/55x17 size.

You have other issues bud.
Michelin PP2CT's are all I have been running on my GENII for 25K miles. I have scraped pegs and even the brake lever on the Dragon. Now that I learned a little more about body postion I drag knees and my Micheline PP's have never let me down.

Like I said, I am not saying that 2ct is a bad tire at all, it just doesn't give me the confidence when cornering, it seems to work for you just fine and that's great for you :thumbsup: I'm just weighing the options

If you are having confidence issues with your PP 2ct's, let me say "You are not the only one" who has had issues with these tires. The list is long and you'll find my name on that list as well.

There are many contributing factors that dictates the amount of grip any given tire will provide. Proper suspension setup for your particular skill level and riding habits is by far the most important contribution to good grip. Throttle application runs a close second by balancing weight bias which keeps each tire properly loaded throughout the corner. Tire pressure, tire temperature, tire condition, steering input, body position all share some of the responsibility for maintaining tire grip. It's not "Just the tire" that makes the difference in grip.

Best response so far.... I completely agree with all of your points. I am a 250 lb rider and the suspension on my K9 is still on the stock settings, I need to get them adjusted asap. I have been working on my body position as well and can't believe how big of a difference it makes getting that cheek of the seat and leaning over. What cold psi do you recommend when riding hard? I usually have it set at 35/35 cold, is that too high?

Like I said, I am not saying that 2ct is a bad tire at all, it just doesn't give me the confidence when cornering, it seems to work for you just fine and that's great for you :thumbsup: I'm just weighing the options

Best response so far.... I completely agree with all of your points. I am a 250 lb rider and the suspension on my K9 is still on the stock settings, I need to get them adjusted asap. I have been working on my body position as well and can't believe how big of a difference it makes getting that cheek of the seat and leaning over. What cold psi do you recommend when riding hard? I usually have it set at 35/35 cold, is that too high?

Not sure how hard you are riding, but 30/30 is a good starting point for Q2's on the track.

Would that be the same starting point for spirited street riding as well?

No, 30/30 is too low for the street. 35 would be fine for street. Since you are a little bigger guy, 36-38 might be good also.

Lankee, I know you've seen my cupped Q2's on the street, but I've never seen your Michelins on the track....:laugh:

Would that be the same starting point for spirited street riding as well?

I usually run a little higher on the street. Probably up around 35 these days. Unless you're riding at a track pace on public roads, you should be fine at that pressure. Really, you could probably go up a little and still be comfortable.

I usually run my Q2's at 37-38 on the street to try and help a little with tire wear. I am 215lbs and the pressure at 38 doesn't slow me down one bit... And i'm known to go faster than the speed limit :whistle:

I usually run my Q2's at 37-38 on the street to try and help a little with tire wear. I am 215lbs and the pressure at 38 doesn't slow me down one bit... And i'm known to go faster than the speed limit :whistle:

But you only ride an 06 1k...not nearly as powerful or fast as a newer one or a Busa :moon:SMACK :laugh:

Back