Stereo Install progress

Thanks omslaw !!! . Schweeeeeeet. It's coming altogether.

Holy crap those ain't cheap!!! $90 for a little tiny mount.....wow.

thumb_up.gif

So where's the head unit goin?
Head unit is an Ipod or Zune.

It's going to sit on a mount on the handlebars.

Doubt I'll spend $90 on a mount from techmount after looking at them.
I know a friend of my father in laws who runs a machine shop in Chicago.
Sounds like a call to him for a homey hookup is needed.

LQQk good so far Ace and your heading in the right direction! Howvever, to get it sound proper is going to take time fabricating speaker enclosure and mounting pods and cutting on the bike. I not a professional when it come to doing the things I've done to my bike. I am a person who has a lot time on his hands and loves a chanllenge. Personally I think you pick a wrong time  of the year to take on such a task for starter if you like to ride your bike, but you seem to be head strong and detemine to get the job done.

Just to give you a taste of what my front inner speaker pod looks like. However, the photo does not include the enclosure beneath with give it the sound pressure level to make this baby sound decent in the mid range and also protects the magnet from the outside elements. Both front inners including the rear are enclosed including the amp. I'm also including an outside viewing of a six inch sub I built for a friend. My sub is an eight inch.

Inner pod holding a 5.25 speaker.

Frontspeakerinmoldphase.jpg

Sub enclosure holding a six inch sub.

Before:

DSC02612.jpg

After:

DSC02684.jpg

Notice the rise? This give me enough room to accomdate my 5.25's for a decent size enclosure on the underside

If you don't have the volume, make the volume by increasing your space!!!!!!!

Oh did I mention the second battery on board? Again I made the extra space to acoomodate the six channel 500 watt amp and deep cycle battery in the rear?
My home made enlarged trunk to hold everying in the rear showing you an example of the capacity.
Modifiedundertail4.jpg

Fabricated and painted by myself using user friendly Martin Seynor paint from Napa.

Modifiedundertail1.jpg

Theres just to much involved in this project to type, aleast for my lazy azz.
winkold.gif

You can do it.

Heres a photo of my first attempt painting my inners and using four inch mids without using a speaker enclosure or mounting pod.

post-6-84538-Rhythm2.jpg

The sound was ok, but not exactly what I was wanting. I wanted the ultimate sound system on a bike, so I pushed myself to go a little further and came up with what I have now.

Thanks for the input Rhythm.

Nice modified trunk. I'm thinking of trying my hand at some fiberglass
enclosures UNDER the dash fairings after I give them a listen this week.
I won't need a rise if I go that route, there's plenty of room under there.

I'm sure it will sound better.....but I'm going to determine if the
extra labor is worth it once I do.

500W amp eh? Nice. I'm thinking about the sub at this juncture, I'm sure
I'll go that route as well. I was checking out a Focal sub for it.
That explains how you got the signal split for the sub at least.

I figured 4" front speakers would sound chinsy so I didn't even bother.
So by Friday I'll have a video of the finalized system with custom
speaker grills made from mesh and U-channel and my fairings will look clean.
ThumbsUp.gif

Just a word of advice, you may experience a problem with your speaker magnet resting to close on one of the relays on the lefthand side.

Just a word of advice, you may experience a problem with your speaker magnet resting to close on one of the relays on the lefthand side.
Oh......interesting.....didn't think of that. Relocation is an option.

Guess I should look up WTF those relays operate eh
rock.gif
LOL
Don't want to find out at 45mph+ and learn it's bad.

bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
I am just a student here....learning from the masters at hand. I can't wait to see the finished product
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

thumb_up.gif

Oh......interesting.....didn't think of that. Relocation is an option.

Guess I should look up WTF those relays operate eh
rock.gif
LOL
Don't want to find out at 45mph+ and learn it's bad.
It was a learning process for me too.
winkold.gif

More pics

U-channel door lip kits for $4 from Pep Boys.
Got the same Navy blue that my bike is.
biggrin.gif

PhaseIIspeakergriils.jpg

Can't find any decent wire mesh there, or Lowe's so I bought some
screen door material. I want something stiffer.....but can't find it.
Anyone know ?? Whaddya think , should I paint them black or leave them silver??
Bike is blue and silver.....so it kinda matches.
PhaseIIspeakergriils1.jpg

Didn't the speakers come grills.
Can't use them on an uneven surface, which this is.
If you notice the INSIDE of the dash fairing swoops down.

That's why you have 1 of 2 options here.
Make custom fabbed fiberglass mounts on the dash fairings....(lot of P.I.T.A. work)
Or simply make your own like I did, alot cheaper, and alot faster.
And it might even look better.
ThumbsUp.gif

I ordered some custom 5.25" enclosures of Ebay for these as well for $16 woot woot
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....hosting

Gonna give them a try and see how well they do.

Ace,here's anpother side photo of the front inner speaker I forgot to my first response showing the height and contour.

DSC02183.jpg

DSC02191.jpg

DSC02180.jpg

Here's another photo showing the speaker pod after being pulled from the mold. You may experience more cursing and not looking professional trying to make a 5.25 grill  comform to the stock inners surface than actually making a pod that will accomodate one.

Frontspeakerinmoldphase.jpg

Just my .02.

My original four inch grill was raised to rest flush and comform to the surface of the inners.  I don't want to try imagining what a five inch would have been like trying to install with the limited space trying to mount it on the underside.

Good luck and looking fwd to seeing your video.  
thumb_up.gif

post-6-84538-Rhythm2.jpg

Y'no what...I hate you guy's!!!

Everytime, I think I have my bike just the way I want it, Ya'll Come up with a new project to tempt me.
firedevil.gif

I don't want to try imagining what a five inch would have been like trying to install with the limited space trying to mount it on the underside.
Well the U-channel hides the cut of the hole saw phenomenally.

The screen material worked out beautifully. I hot glued it to the underside of the fairing and it came out perfect believe it or not. Shaping the actual template of the screen took a few minutes, and then I just used the first as a template to make more. This isn't competition quality, but by no means is it broke ass lookin either.
laugh.gif
I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

I just had an idea to put paint a black kanji on each speaker grill too ...going to try it....after I make a template the right size. Screen might not be dense enough to show it.

It looks just like the picture I posted with the speaker in it.
Now I just have to wait for Fedex to deliver my amp today to wire this up and give it a test run with the $50 Pioneers. Then I just have to wait for my 5.25" components to arrive.
egitarre77.gif

150W shouldn't be TOO crazy....but it could be enough for now.

Now I have to find a handlebar mount for my Ipod or make one.
I'm not forkin out $90 on a techmount when I can have one fabbed up for waaaaay less.
I think they charge waaaaay too much for those. $30 is reasonable, $90 is retarded.

Back