Installing SS Brake lines with pads

cobravenom39

Registered
So I did a search for any tips or step-by-steps on installing the lines and couldn't come up with anything. I found a great write up from the resident fabricator/inventor (you know who you are) on installing the brake pads, but I have no Idea what to do with the lines. Should I install the pads first, suck all the fluid out of the lines, take off the old ones then install the new ones. I have tons of tools and a mighty-vac, I just need direction.

Thanks in advance, guys.

I'd do the lines first.

Suck out the fluid in the reservoir, remove the old lines.  Install new lines, routing them may be different than stock.  You might have to be creative.  Just make sure that when the suspension is completely uncompressed(on a front stand) that the lines have some slack in them and you can turn the handlebars all the way both ways and the lines don't interfere with anything.

Install new pads.

Fill with fluid and bleed the system.

Bleeding is the hardest part of the whole thing.  
beerchug.gif

and take pics of the process for the rest of us that have to do it soon
laugh.gif

no seriously
beerchug.gif

I'd do the lines first.

Suck out the fluid in the reservoir, remove the old lines.  Install new lines, routing them may be different than stock.  You might have to be creative.  Just make sure that when the suspension is completely uncompressed(on a front stand) that the lines have some slack in them and you can turn the handlebars all the way both ways and the lines don't interfere with anything.

Install new pads.

beerchug.gif
Even with a mity-vac??

I would like to see a detailed write-up/pics of this procedure...looking to do it later this year.

I'd do the lines first.

Install new pads.

beerchug.gif
Even with a mity-vac??
Its all easy
winkold.gif

I know that someone said you need to replace the "crush" washers when installing the lines. Does the speigler kit come with them, or do I have to get my own??

The kit should have crush washers. And yes, definitley use new crush washers.

No big deal here on the install. Check for range of motion of the handlebar travel, like Charles recommended, and DON'T...DO NOT....drip brake fluid on ANYTHING...MMMkay
rock.gif
.....the rest is straight forward. I'm going with the Spiegler set-up also. Get a mighty-vac, vacuum up to 15 lbs, and pull that fresh fluid right on through. Keep the resevoir filled...NO WORRIES..
super.gif

No big deal here on the install.  Check for range of motion of the handlebar travel, like Charles recommended, and DON'T...DO NOT....drip brake fluid on ANYTHING...MMMkay
rock.gif
.....the rest is straight forward.  I'm going with the Spiegler set-up also.  Get a mighty-vac, vacuum up to 15 lbs, and pull that fresh fluid right on through.  Keep the resevoir filled...NO WORRIES..
super.gif
Yeah I got the mity vac, I should yse that to empy the fluid first, though, right?

Don't forget the new lines are not routed like the stock lines which have one line going down to the right caliper, then jumps across to the left caliper. Your new setup should have both lines leaving the brake resovour, one line to each caliper.

I don't think there was a step by step done on it because it's so easy a caveman could do it...

But I did want to post a picture because every thread needs pictures.... I couldn't find the pictures I took at the moment so you will have to do with this one...

View attachment 1308679

Back