Stereo amplifier cuts out below 2K RPM, Why?

Rothman

"Professional Lurker"
Registered
I installed a stereo a little while back and for some reason the amplifier cuts off below 2K RPM. It's wired directly to the battery via a fused link. It works great when the bike is off, running above 2K RPM, and sometimes works below 2K in neutral. It also seems that it cuts out sometimes when I clutch/shift. Any thought as to why this is happening. I would really like to be able to listen to my music at stop lights.

I think it's because your bike knows nobody else wants to listen to your music at stop lights. :whistle:

Sorry, couldn't resist that one. :rofl:

I think it's because your bike knows nobody else wants to listen to your music at stop lights. :whistle:

Sorry, couldn't resist that one. :rofl:

Oh come on now... Who could resist the likes of Def Leppard, Tesla, Ratt, Dokken and the like? Hair metal is still cool right?!.....Right?!

Well maybe I'm alone, but I still wanna hear it!

Maybe adding more info may help with response or thinks to check.. Amp info what kind of amps does it draw. Never heard of a problem like this. Is the amp properly grounded bike is mostly aluminum :laugh: If you just have it grounded to the battery maybe grounding it to the motor also.. I am just guessing randomly though :dunno:

Sounds like the engine's electrical system is not putting out the juice. Maybe a alternator (stator? not sure of the right term for a bike) is not putting out the right juice so when it gets below 2K it shuts down?

it's only a 2 amp draw amplifier. It's fused at 3 amps. It doesn't make sense to me that it runs great straight off of the battery untill the bikes running. Is there any way that the rectifier could cause some sort of interference at lower RPM's? I'm not sure what else to add as far as details. It's grounded straight back to the battery so it's an electrical ground and not a common.

If I can find a spec sheet on the amp will that help? This is starting to pizz me off.

One pole of the voltage regulator could be bad.
Check the battery voltage with meter.

yesm ya need to get a meter on there and start tracing stuff out. it does seem strange though. is ur amp shutting off or is it fading out? if its fading out perhaps it could be RFI ? and if this is so buy some really good cables or wrap them urself in foil.

Its a similar problem the HID units experience at idle when the start to flicker. At idle the voltage drop across your battery is too low, for the current draw the amp needs, to keep running. Turn your idle up a little, or get a deeper cell battery to handle the load, or, check your stator output. Might need a higher wattage stater. who makes the higher output units, ricks performance I think? cant remember.

jd

Back