Stebel Natilus Compact Airhorn Installed

R1000

Registered
Here is a pic on the Stebel install. I located it in the engine bay right side where it is perfectly protected. It sounds VERY loud thanks to a lot of openings around the engine bay. The horn was securely fixed by tie-wraps to fixed points.

FILE0043.JPG

Is it a complete little unit? Why not put it in place of the factory horn under the front nose area.

Props on being heard...
bowdown.gif

Is it a complete little unit? Why not put it in place of the factory horn under the front nose area.  

Props on being heard...
bowdown.gif
Some have noted that it didn't fit well in the stock location. Saw a way to mod the unit, but haven't tried it yet. Sound is good and will be something I do soon.

I didn't locate it in place of the factory horn since the clearance seems to be to small . I guees it could be done though, but it didn't look easy to get access and make a rigid installation there. The radiator is delicate and if it gets hit by the horn it doesn't help cooling. It is good also to have the stock horn working in case the Nautilus fails or will blow a fuse. The location in the engine area does not decrease the sound level much.

Do you have other pics and a write-up on how you did the install?

No more pics but here is a brief description.

1. Remove the saddle and raise the fuel tank
2. Locate the usable space in the engine bay; it is just below injector's #4, close to the right frame leg.
3. Connect two wires on the horn, which will reach the battery bay.
4. Secure the horn-mounting stud by a tie-wrap to the metal tubing at the end of a hose inside the frame leg. Look and you will see what I mean. Make sure the horn will not be able to carve on any hoses. Also secure it around the right frame leg, so it won't make a rodeo dance in the engine bay. Take care of details so it will be securely fixed and not interfere with other components.
5. Route the two wires along the existing harness on RIGHT side up to the battery bay. I always put wires in braided nylon shielding; it looks better and gives some extra protection.
6. Connect two wires to the stock horn, I connected them in parallel with the existing wires.
7. Route the two wires upwards, thru the throttle wire clamp, down in the engine bay RIGHT side, along the previous mentioned harness.
8. So, now there is four new wires in the battery bay, two from the stock horn, and two from the new horn. From here it should be quite easy to finish the connections with the use of a relay that came with the Stebel. Don't forget to include a 20 amp Fuse.
9. The picture below shows how I connected the stuff, if my memory serves right...

stebel_on_Busa_08.jpg

Back