Installed Stebel horn

pward76

Donating Member
Registered
I installed my Stebel horn today. My observations are:

1) Why do they send you a nut and bolt for this thing when you have to drill out the hole to make it large enough for the bolt?

2) I mounted it in the stock horn location, I am very concerned about the clearance to the fender. See the pics but it is about 1.5 inches from the fender. Anybody have pics of an alternate location?

3) It's REALLY loud and authoritative - sounds like a Ferrari horn.

4) I modified the stock bracket by sawing off the original mounting hold and then bending the tip 90 degrees - again see the pics to follow.

Hayabusa+horn+2.jpg

Hayabusa+horn+3.jpg

Anybody have a suggestion on loading a .wav file? It's 1568 Kb and compares the stock horn to this one

Horn+bracket+closeup.jpg

I temporarily moved mine to the tail, it wouldn't work on the stock location for me.

While its down this winter I will try some other locations in the front.

I love the sound!!
beerchug.gif

DSC06228.jpg

the head of the bolt goes on the horn side, it holds itself so you can torque the thing down (make sure you torque to spec!!)

Clearance: yes it will hit the fender.. I did not really find a good alternate that did not expose the horn to excessive heat. I think this damage occurred at the Gap during spring bash and pushing the bike pretty hard... did not even see it until I tore the bike down for new front suspension... I think the new 1.1 springs will pretty much fix this I hope..

Yes it is loud, Stebel already has a wav file posted but really it is like posting "exhaust pipes" just not really the same thing as in person..

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a tiny nick in the top where the horn hit it... I can live with it as the horn really gets their attention..
beerchug.gif

the head of the bolt goes on the horn side, it holds itself so you can torque the thing down (make sure you torque to spec!!)
That would explain why I had to bend the bracket, I didn't figure that out. I drilled out the hole and instead of putting in the head of the bolt, I put the nut there..

I'll have to look at that.

Yes it is loud, Stebel already has a wav file posted but really it is like posting "exhaust pipes" just not really the same thing as in person..
I thought it would be interesting to hear the difference between the stock horn and this one, which is what is on the file I wanted to upload. No big deal if it won't work.

No prob, it works and is still very loud but I will try to move it forward

Make sure you use the relay and PM me if you need help.

i have seen posted some guys that did not use the relay... this horn will blow a 10 amp fuse..

I do not want that kind of juice going through the horn button myself... I used the relay...

I got the horn, very loud, and wasn't comfortable tucking it up where the stocker was. After seeing the fender pics I think I'll mount it elsewhere...back is looking good.

I found room for the horn in a couple places but heat from the pipes was an issue (a lot of plastic on these horns) Not sure if my wrapping of my pipes might just make these locations a bit more practical..

Last edited by a moderator:
best price? (found $40+ shipping)

actual dimensions?

Does it cause your lights to dim when activated? (air horn on my ZRX did )

I used 3/4" heavy duty weather stripping on the back of the horn and mounted it tight against the radiator using a modified stock bracket in the stock location.  The foam compressed w/no damage to the radiator.  It leaves plenty of room betweeen the horn and the fender.

Has anyone noticed that when it is cold, one of the horns doesn't work very well.  As long as it is warm no prob, but when it is cold you only get half the sound.

Don

I believe there have been some ppl that have mounted up in the nose somewhere. I have dual HIDs up there so no room for other stuff.

Don

Back