Installed Stebel horn

I used 3/4" heavy duty weather stripping on the back of the horn and mounted it tight against the radiator using a modified stock bracket in the stock location. The foam compressed w/no damage to the radiator. It leaves plenty of room betweeen the horn and the fender.

Has anyone noticed that when it is cold, one of the horns doesn't work very well. As long as it is warm no prob, but when it is cold you only get half the sound.

Don
Don are you stock height?

And I have noticed that is acts up in the cold too.

I found room for the horn in a couple places but heat from the pipes was an issue (a lot of plastic on these horns) Not sure if my wrapping of my pipes might just make these locations a bit more practical..
I like those spots a lot, but I would hate to melt that thing all over the place.

Greg,
Not quite stock height. I dropped the top plate approx 3mm down to the triple. The rubber in the top plate bushings allow for flex in hard cornering. For all intensive purposes it is stock. I am 245lbs. I also put a piece of the weather stripping on the front side of the horn just incase I grabbed the brakes too hard. I think I have touched, not hit, the fender once. Hope this helps.

Don

Thanks Don.

So this horn will work down there is you are not lowered to far.

I have the HIDs so dimming is not an issue, but when I was running stock lights no dimming issues at all.

Also for those doing the install. I plugged mine into the stock harness. I know it comes with a relay and inline fuse, but, as long as you aren't going to just lay on the horn for an extremely long time. It shouldn't pull enough current to cause any issues. I have been running mine almost a year and a half with zero probs.

Don

okay, I know its louder but does it sound like a 2 tone OEM horn or Semi air horn-ish?

Must have a horn for state inspection, must be 2 tone. Pretty much the only requirements. Will this pass?(in your opinion)

okay, I know its louder but does it sound like a 2 tone OEM horn or Semi air horn-ish?

Must have a horn for state inspection, must be 2 tone. Pretty much the only requirements. Will this pass?(in your opinion)
I hope this helps.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i38.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid38.photobucket.com/albums/e111/yus143/bikes/Parts/Horn/M4V06229.flv">

I used 3/4" heavy duty weather stripping on the back of the horn and mounted it tight against the radiator using a modified stock bracket in the stock location.  The foam compressed w/no damage to the radiator.  It leaves plenty of room betweeen the horn and the fender.

Has anyone noticed that when it is cold, one of the horns doesn't work very well.  As long as it is warm no prob, but when it is cold you only get half the sound.

Don
I would love to see a picture of that set up if you can swing it.

like a mini semi air horns... is great for laughs when you catch someone snoozing at the light...

I know you did not ask but remember I commented that it would blow a 10Amp fuse???

I was going through St Louis on my way the PMRA race and MNG at Caps house when this little crap car cut me off going through town and was weaving all over the dang place...

they started to come over again and I layed on the horn hard... worked for about 3 seconds and dies... crap, hit the brakes and surrender my lane... already knew the 10 amp blew.....

Jump out to get around this dope and low and behold it is two nuns! yes, the real thing wearing habits and everything! I suppose some divine power did not want these 2 old ladies (like 80 somethings) scared and so "poof" goes the fuse...

I now have a 20amp fuse and new found patience for cars that seem lost.....

Is it possible to mount it in the nose somewhere, behind the headlight?
2 years and no relay, a few 15 second blasts in there with no problems with stock wires and button.

Mine is mounted on top of the right air intake tube with zip ties.........piece of cake.

2 years and no relay, a few 15 second blasts in there with no problems with stock wires and button.

Mine is mounted on top of the right air intake tube with zip ties.........piece of cake.
always exceptions to rules... I just could not see risking a $90-100 switch when they supplied the relay already... plus if I said go for it and they burned up their own, I would feel rather bad..

Close to three or so years and not one problem with mine! Mounted in the stock location using the stock harness and mounting bracket slightly modified... It will get your attention I promise, and yes it sometimes misbehaves when its really cold out. No problem in the summer months. Never hit my fender ever (But, I have a Race-Tech Suspension up front).

Nice comments all around thanx boyz. My worry is mounting, instructions were less than helpful ... I will try in the nose. The thing is slightly heavy so dont want it breaking off when I get a lil agressive. ( wheelies ... )

I have no idea how you would mount this thing on the top of the ram air tube... I have my HID ballasts there and they barely clear the inner panel, hat horn is a lot bigger than an HID ballast.. I need to see a picture of how you did this..

I would still suggest using the relay as well... I did an amp draw and it hits 15 amps on the hit and 8 amps steady... could be why mine works even when cold? never misses a beat, just really loud
smile.gif

there is room under the right hand lower dash panel....when mine comes and and I remove the old one, I will share pix too.

Back