Installing Stebel Nautilus Air Horn

Tyron

Registered
After some more advice ???

I know this is an easy one to install but im asking to save time and to make sure I pull off the right side of the fairing etc.

Has anybody installed a Stebel Air Horn on theie Gen II?
If so do you have any pictures or instructions? e.g. mounting and location etc...

Anything will help.

Is the horn accessible from the right or left isde of the fairing?

nautilusCS.jpg

Sorry i cant help you, but when you do yours take video or pics and pass it on. good luck, someone will chime in soon

I dont think anyone has done a write up on one. It should be just above the front fender and in front of the radiator. The only advice I can give is from what I read, make sure your front fender will clear the new horn. I have read stories about breaking fenders.

The horn will not clear the fender if you ride over a large bump. Trust me on that one. You need to separate the compressor from the horn and mount the compressor away from the bike in order to reduce the size of the horn. Then, you can use the existing horn bracket and mount the horn in the same spot. Run a hose from the horn to the compressor and you are done. I put my compressor behind the dash panel on the brake side. A friend of mine put his compressor next to his battery, it is up to you. One more thing, in the first link you will see that the horn is mounted with the air port pointed down, this did not work for me. I had it this way for a bit, but it broke off and I remounted it with the air port pointed toward the clutch side. This reduced the profile of the horn in regards to the fender, and made it easier to get the air hose connected.

Check out these links to help you out. It is really easy, and much, much louder than a stock horn. Every bike I own from here on out will have one of these.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...-stebel-horn-reinstall-after-mount-split.html

Air Horn Installation

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...573-doin-air-horn-install-need-help-asap.html

Shoot me a PM if you get stuck.

The horn will not clear the fender if you ride over a large bump. Trust me on that one. You need to separate the compressor from the horn and mount the compressor away from the bike in order to reduce the size of the horn. Then, you can use the existing horn bracket and mount the horn in the same spot. Run a hose from the horn to the compressor and you are done. I put my compressor behind the dash panel on the brake side. A friend of mine put his compressor next to his battery, it is up to you. One more thing, in the first link you will see that the horn is mounted with the air port pointed down, this did not work for me. I had it this way for a bit, but it broke off and I remounted it with the air port pointed toward the clutch side. This reduced the profile of the horn in regards to the fender, and made it easier to get the air hose connected.

Check out these links to help you out. It is really easy, and much, much louder than a stock horn. Every bike I own from here on out will have one of these.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...-stebel-horn-reinstall-after-mount-split.html

Air Horn Installation

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...573-doin-air-horn-install-need-help-asap.html

Sous,
Do you have any pics?

I got the waterproof model and im struggling to see how the seperate the compressor without breaking anything.

I also seperated mine and ended up putting the compressor on the side of the rear subframe behind the plastics and ran the hose to the front and placed the horn part behind the nose of the bike. My bike is lowered and even seperated was not going to clear. There is a detailed how to on the seperation of the compressor and on youtube will try and track down.

But seperating does work:thumbsup:

Air Horn Installation

Sous,

Im having a few issues with this air horn.

I have seperated at the compressor and & plastic horn outlet. After making up a bracket I have finally got the plastic horn outlet mounted back up underneath where the original horn was and with enough clearance. It's times like that when I wish i had small hands!

Im trying to find a spot to mount the the compressor. All feedback says it must be upright and I just can't find a suitable place to have it upright. Have you any photos of how your is mounted?

Also how did you get the originlal wiring back through. I cant seem to chase the wires to anywhere in particual as they are under the tank and airbox. How did you manage to get them out to run them to your compressor?

Thanks mate...

OK so I have progressed a little further :cheerleader:

Manged to lift the tank and find a suitable position to mount the compressor. Wiring harness modified and wires cut, soldered and heat shrunk to the exact required length.
Compressor is just sitting in position at present as I need to get some air hose tomorrow to finish installation & test.

Fingers crossed. :whistle:

Pics below....

Thanks for the help thus far!!!

bike 008.JPG

bike 009.JPG

bike 011.JPG

bike 012.JPG

bike 014.JPG

bike 015.JPG

bike 016.JPG

bike 018.jpg

Wow! Great writeup & pics. Well done. Another mod on my list I've got to do.

Nice Galfer lines btw. ;)

Looks like you got it whooped. :thumbsup: Here's another way to mount them up also and is pretty simple and straight forward. Seperate horn and compressor as normal, mount horn in old horn mounting spot with a simple straight bracket and place compressor under right hand dash panel in the small space between ram air duct and turn signal pod. There is a nice little vee shaped space there in which it fits nicely, simple zip tie compressor to fairing stay just for added piece of mind but honestly it doesn't move or go anywhere even without zip tie. Piece of hose from compressor to horn and your 2 wire hook-up and your done, mounted relay right on the underside of ram air duct with a piece of dbl sided tape. Nice and loud !

DSCN8638.jpg

DSCN8639.jpg

DSCN8644.jpg

Also for anyone else looking to do this mod, these horns here are just as good and sound the same as the Stebel. I have Stebel on Gen 1 and this on Gen 2 orvica versa and they are both just as loud and almost identical in sound except for a tiny pitch difference which is not noticeable unless you have the 2 side by side. And most of the time you can get almost 2 of these for the price of 1 Stebel which doesn't hurt.:thumbsup:

140DB SUPER LOUD AIR BLAST HORN UNIVERSAL COMPACT RED - eBay (item 280732283426 end time Oct-29-11 15:04:03 PDT)

Sorry for the late reply, it looks like you got it sorted. I managed to mount my compressor under the brake side dash panel. It is not 90° from the ground, but it works great. This put the compressor close to the horn and the wiring from the stock harness. I hope this answers your concerns.

Yeah, I don't know why they say put it vertical ??? of course I never read the instructions either. But all of mine are mounted horizontal and I have not had any problems with any of them.

I just mounted it underneath the nose behind the plastic cover. Just slid the horn in there use some black electrical tape to keep it in place and waalaa.. Took me a half hour.

Yeh looking at all the pics I have seen non are mounted vertical. With exception to mine :thumbsup:

The compressor under the tank suits well because you need to run the wiring harness from the battery anyways and have the fuse in an easy to get to location. I just cut a slit in the harness where I needed to take the wires out to run to the compressor and the wires to the old horn continued on through.

All cam together rather well.
Just gotta pick up some airline hose still.

:cheerleader:

Mine is Gen 1. Installed in the left part of the tail as shown in the picture. I had to take it apart in order to squeeze inside the subframe tubing.

100_3769.JPG

Mine is Gen 1. Installed in the left part of the tail as shown in the picture. I had to take it apart in order to squeeze inside the subframe tubing.

100_3769.JPG

Not to sound like an ass, but I never understood why people mount them pointing sideways, or in the tail like this. I have had 2 of these on 2 different bikes and know they are very loud. Although, if I am honking my horn, more than likely it will be at some one in front of me and I would want the full force of the horn pointed right at them.

Not to sound like an ass, but I never understood why people mount them pointing sideways, or in the tail like this. I have had 2 of these on 2 different bikes and know they are very loud. Although, if I am honking my horn, more than likely it will be at some one in front of me and I would want the full force of the horn pointed right at them.

If you do a bit of a research you realize that sound is a tricky thing. Just because it's pointing to the side it doesn't mean the sound goes in that direction only. For that similar reason most headset mikes - be it a regular mike, or a bluetooth mike - are not being placed in front of a person's mouth, but to the side - that's because it's out of the way while the sound degradation due to the side placement is minimal.

Also, check the car horns - none of them are pointed forward - so those designers had something in mind. As a matter of fact, if pointed forward, any horn will collect dust and debris and may stop performing over time. Also, the horns are placed in such a way that any moisture accumulations could just drip away - another important consideration.

Also, I would and did use the horn to alert a car behind me not to get too close - which is especially dangerous in stop-and-go traffic situations. But my best use of the horn is to wake up a left lane driver doing 50 in the left lane and blocking the traffic - that's where the placement of my horn adds a bit of extra sound.

Back