Stay away from the Gap

The speed limit from Tabcat Bridge to the store is 30 mph.

Yep, the average on the Dragon is 3 deaths a year. My question is, why have I never seen a THP trooper on the Airport Motor Mile? There's a lot higher average of fatalities in that stretch of 129, but I've never seen them there.

Ride I-40 West through West Knoxville. If you're not doing 70 in that 55 mile zone, you'll be run over. Literally. You'll drive right by a THP station, but I've never seen one writing tickets there. Can you say selective enforcement?

To many squids over the side of the mountain will
bring out the LEO's. if everyone would check their
Ego's at the door we would not have this problem
all it takes are a few to ruin it for the masses.

In my many years of visiting the Gap and surrounding area, hands down this is the worst harrassament I have ever heard about. I have been very fortunate not to have a trip planned there during negative press.

About once a year, the powers that be get a hanakering to "crack down" and write many tickets just because they can. Normally it is a knee jerk reaction to deaths on the hill. This year with 3 in 24 hours a few weeks back is the reason for the crackdown.

As most here know I frequent the area 10-14 times a year. For 2007....I have only been there 4 times with just one more planned trip end of September. The people that have the pull are the business that are being affected by the motorcyclist going elsewhere. With a town soley supported by tourism, I know some are wondering how they are gonna pay their bills in the winter.

What can we do?

Visit www.tailofthedragon.com. There are links to the players that are the reason behind this crackdown. Email them and let them know how you feel, in a nice way of course. I do not have the email saved, but mine was something to the effect of how many times I normally come there and that I will be spending my tourist $$$ else where.

I keep reading about how riders with lids up can get tickets. For what? I'm not familiar with that law...
wow.gif

(whitele @ Aug. 06 2007,06:39) I keep reading about how riders with lids up can get tickets. For what? I'm not familiar with that law...  
wow.gif
Eye protection. Common law enforce ALOT at bike week in Daytona. Must have shield down or be wearing shatterproof glasses.

(vman1300 @ Aug. 06 2007,03:52)
(whitele @ Aug. 06 2007,06:39) I keep reading about how riders with lids up can get tickets. For what? I'm not familiar with that law...
wow.gif
Eye protection. Common law enforce ALOT at bike week in Daytona. Must have shield down or be wearing shatterproof glasses.
Ahhhh. I see now. The government must protect me because I don't know better......

Does that mean if you have an open face helmet you need to wear shatterproof goggles?

Learning a bunch on this board...
tounge.gif

(whitele @ Aug. 07 2007,03:17)
(vman1300 @ Aug. 06 2007,03:52)
wow.gif
Ahhhh. I see now. The government must protect me because I don't know better......

Does that mean if you have an open face helmet you need to wear shatterproof goggles?

Learning a bunch on this board...
tounge.gif
Shatter proof glasses? who sales them? Because I'm doing the Draging in Sept if not before that!!!

I don't think there is any one winning solution to this. It would be interesting to see what the reason is for the sudden saturation of enforcement. I was not aware of the fatalities up there. That might be the case then for the enforcement. Its not a battle that can be won by any one riding up there. And yes it is selective enforcement for sure. Likely because of the deaths recently. Just guessing. Ive been up there only about 4 times in the last year and only remember seeing maybe 4 or 5 the entire time I was there. I would say that some of the folks up there are getting a little careless while riding the dragon. Doing some rather stupid things. I dont mind the periodic enforcement. Just enough to say hay we are here but not enough to be up your butt like it seems it is now. I suspect that it will taper off in the next month. Problem is that it takes allot of good riding time away. Oh well. This too shall pass I think

(jch364 @ Aug. 06 2007,14:30) I don't think there is any one winning solution to this. It would be interesting to see what the reason is for the sudden saturation of enforcement. I was not aware of the fatalities up there. That might be the case then for the enforcement. Its not a battle that can be won by any one riding up there. And yes it is selective enforcement for sure. Likely because of the deaths recently. Just guessing. Ive been up there only about 4 times in the last year and only remember seeing maybe 4 or 5 the entire time I was there. I would say that some of the folks up there are getting a little careless while riding the dragon. Doing some rather stupid things. I dont mind the periodic enforcement. Just enough to say hay we are here but not enough to be up your butt like it seems it is now. I suspect that it will taper off in the next month. Problem is that it takes allot of good riding time away. Oh well. This too shall pass I think
I think it is more about citizens complaining to the state about the "craizies on crotch rockets." I live in East Tennessee and I hear the whining all the time
rock.gif

(georgiabusa_05 @ Aug. 05 2007,17:21)
sad.gif
 that stinks.  guess i will be going to Suches next weekend.
Tim, Let's Talk.... I have to work Saturday and was planning to go for a long ride up to Tellico plains with a group from the Ga. Sportbike Board, a Fried Apple Pie run.... leaving Suches at 9am...

I was considering going... interested???

(Powers739 @ Aug. 06 2007,20:26)
(georgiabusa_05 @ Aug. 05 2007,17:21)
sad.gif
 that stinks.  guess i will be going to Suches next weekend.
Tim, Let's Talk.... I have to work Saturday and was planning to go for a long ride up to Tellico plains with a group from the Ga. Sportbike Board, a Fried Apple Pie run.... leaving Suches at 9am...

I was considering going... interested???
Sounds like a plan. Maybe I could meet ya between Suches and Tellico somewhere. I will give you a call tomorrow night or you can call me tomorrow anytime on my cell.

Tim

When the word gets out and the LEO is infiltrating the place like Nazis in France just go somewheres else. These guys will hate being up there w/ no motorcycles to mess with to make the time go by.

i.e. shut the fugger down for riding and beat them at their own game.

Back