Stay away from the Gap

TennBusa

Donating Member
Registered
If you've got a vacation planned for Robbinsville, NC anytime soon, you might want to rethink it. In the 9 miles from the Overlook to Deals Gap, there were 11 THP troopers and several Blount Co. deputies as of this morning.

The worst of it is, if they can't find something to write you up for, they'll just make it up. Ben, the guy that owns the CROT drove his car back to Maryville with the cruise set at 25, with a certified speedo, and got a ticket for crossing the double yellow and speeding 36 in a 30 mile zone. He said if the officer was where he said he was, he was hiding in a tree without a cruiser.

Consider spending your money somewhere else. I live here and I'm going somewhere else for a while.

(TennBusa @ Aug. 05 2007,14:05) If you've got a vacation planned for Robbinsville, NC anytime soon, you might want to rethink it.  In the 9 miles from the Overlook to Deals Gap, there were 11 THP troopers and several Blount Co. deputies as of this morning.

The worst of it is, if they can't find something to write you up for, they'll just make it up.  Ben, the guy that owns the CROT drove his car back to Maryville with the cruise set at 25, with a certified speedo, and got a ticket for crossing the double yellow and speeding 36 in a  30 mile zone.  He said if the officer was where he said he was, he was hiding in a tree without a cruiser.

Consider spending your money somewhere else.  I live here and I'm going somewhere else for a while.
So in other words... this place is hog heaven and pigs with attitude everywhere! Shame that some had to spoil it for others and now we are all a target!
wow.gif

I was up there 2 weeks ago same stuff counted 9 police cars between overlook and store I was following 2 dudes on touring rigs plates were from ohio I geuss when they saw a couple of cop cars that was all there was. they were pushing pretty hard for crusers poor guys got hammered when there got to the end of a short strait cops were hiding in the trees or the trees were hiding them I coudn't get close enough to warn them I can't say the extra police presence is unexpected with all the bad wrecks that have happened already this year

So what is the speed limit there? If you're in control of the bike going around a corner below the speed limit, what can you get in trouble for? Serious question, I've never been pulled over by a LEO in twisties yet...
rock.gif

Two's or Suches isn't any better! It was worse than the Robinsville area B4 the lock down. The locals don't even want sport bikes there. Ever seen a gravel strip in the middle of the road for over 10 miles? Had to be done by a special 16yd dump truck. 2 got serious tickets while riding just a moderate speed. Some were ticketed for just close to the double yellow when the cagers were using their's and half of my side. The tickets had to be settled in person on a date they set, even though the riders were from Ohio! the cop said. It worked on me I'm lookin elsewhere!
SHOCKED.gif

Overpaid tax collectors hunting buffalo with a BB gun.
Great career choice. A government funded gang of "do gooders",
running amuck, trying to save everyone from themselves backed by old, crusty, depends wearin judges.
rant.gif

...and yes I would rather live in the wild west.
guns.gif

(Shibumi @ Aug. 05 2007,19:02) So what is the speed limit there? If you're in control of the bike going around a corner below the speed limit, what can you get in trouble for? Serious question, I've never been pulled over by a LEO in twisties yet...  
rock.gif
I have ridden through 4 times this weekend...kept my speed in check and had no problems
smile.gif

(georgiabusa_05 @ Aug. 05 2007,17:21)
sad.gif
 that stinks.  guess i will be going to Suches next weekend.
Tim...I'll take you on a tour...It will be a great warm up for riding to Mobile...I rode 823 miles this weekend...only 44 of those were the Dragon
smile.gif

When I went to the Rock store today the Hiway Patrol was out in force. Had several bikes pulled over and Shanlin said the Helo was following us until we got out of the canyon. "Hmm, Two Busa...They must want to go fast..."

(Dave&Cindy @ Aug. 05 2007,14:flamethrowing:) I was up there 2 weeks ago same stuff counted 9 police cars between overlook and store I was following 2 dudes on touring rigs plates were from ohio I geuss when they saw a couple of cop cars that was all there was. they were pushing pretty hard for crusers poor guys got hammered when there got to the end of a short strait cops were hiding in the trees or the trees were hiding them I coudn't get close enough to warn them I can't say the extra police presence is unexpected with all the bad wrecks that have happened already this year
I bet If folks would quit crashing and riding like maniacs up there things would get alot better
wink.gif

Here in Albuquerque we made number 7 out of the top ten speed traps... Its getting bad everywhere... I no longer like riding up to the Sandia crest on the weekends because either the cagers will get you or the cops, too many close calls...

Is it really that bad up there? So for the Sept. MnG, we may have 'company' along the route. That bites, because I really can't afford any points.

I got a ticket once around that area and not knowing any better, I paid for it. 65 in a 50. I ended up paying an additional $1200 in insurance over three years
mad.gif

I think the insurance companies are in cahoots as well.
smileyexhibit.gif

I have feeling it will calm down some soon and the leo's will find somewhere else to watch. I've never been to the gap, and there is no way I'm missing the bash. So let's hope it ends soon.

It must be nice to be in an area where there is no more serious crime than traffic violations. I'm glad to hear they have murder, rape, robbery, theft, and substance abuse all under control.

Karl

I still had fun riding the Dragon. I just kept a really good gap between me and the vehicle in front. When approaching a switchback, I would just look through the woods to make sure no LEO's were around the bend and then just gun it through the curve, then slow down to get my distance from the vehicle in front again.

I still managed to get rid of my chicken strips that way!
smile.gif

Back