Just back from Deals Gap

vman1300

Never Forgotten
It was a great weekend of riding in the mountains of TN, NC and GA. Weather was great, except for the ride back to Maryville(more on that later), with minor rain showers and temps in the upper 80's.

Chris and I left Maryville around 9am, stopped at 129 Motorcycle Pitstop on the TN side of Deals for a tire pressure check. 129 is owned by a good friend of mine, David Ramsey, they offer tires, towing and full service along with a resturant with tasty grub. Stop by and say hello.

Before we left there, a couple of my friends from IN stopped in. We then proceded across Deals. 318 curves in 11 miles is better than any caffine 1st thing in the morning. The roads were pretty much clear with very little gravel. After a stop at the CROT talking to more friends from the R1-Forum, we headed towards GA.

On this leg of our ride we were joined by some new friends. 3 guys, 1 from FL and the other two from Rocky Mount , NC. What a collection of bikes, my Busa, Chris' TLR, a ZX10, 954RR and a R1.

On down 129 we picked up 60 into GA and across the mountain. It just amazies me how well kept the roads are this far out. For you guys going next month, be sure to head over that way, you WILL NOT BE disapointed.

We stoped for lunch at TWO. Great food can be found here as well alond with free refills on sweet tea. We were going to head on over to Blood Mountain but Mother Nature had other plans. We had about an hour rain delay while on the porch at TWO.

From there we headed back the way we came in due to the storm coming in. A much slower pace was taken due to the damp pavement. Once back in Robbinsville we took a short break at the Microtel where the other guys were staying.

From there, we headed to the Skyway. More damp pavement was found there with light sprinkles, nothing major. 360 from the Skyway to 411 is a great road. Lots of high speed hills where you carry the front wheel over the top. Dont get too comfy doing this on all....toward the end there is one that looks great....but it is followed quickly be a right hander. Make sure you can see over the hill before picking up too much speed. 360 dumps you into 411. This is a 4 lane, what your speed here. LOTS of speed traps.

From 411, we turned onto 72 with dumps right back into 129 on the TN within a few feet of where we started earlier at 129 Motorcycle Pitstop. It was around 7:30pm and we decided to go across the Gap to the CROT and back once again, big mistake. The ride from TN over to the CROT was great, another run with NO traffic. The light was fading fast but it was a quick trip. Once at the CROT, we bid fare well to our new friends and headed back to Maryville.

The ride back across the Dragon was awsome. Pitch dark with only us holligans lighting the way. Once at the bottom along the river....Mother Nature had another susprise for Chris and I.....the sky opened up.

Not light rain, but a drenching downpour. 15 to 20 mph was the norm for the next 50 or so miles. Leaves, branches and all sorts of crap in the road. It took us 2 hours to get back to Maryville and once we got there....it stopped raining!

Overall, we had a great time seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Very minimal Law Enforcement was present all weekend. Hopefully, we can get that way for the next Busa Bash.

Kevin
info@mrcycles.com

<!--EDIT|vman1300
Reason for Edit: "sorry I failed english"|1093883050 -->

That's great but what? No pictures?

countsled.gif

nice, too bad you can't come play in a few weeks with us all up there
sad.gif
come on man, move that vacation back a week LOL
laugh.gif

Sorry I could not Join you V. Couldn't get the kitchen pass on such short notice. Glad to see you had a goooood time.
Peace see you at the shop!

I want to go, but part of me is very intimated by hauling a big Busa around tight turns...I'll be the slow poke in the back until I get the hang of it!
smile.gif

Sounds fun though...very fun!

I want to go, but part of me is very intimated by hauling a big Busa around tight turns...I'll be the slow poke in the back until I get the hang of it!  
smile.gif

The Dragon is fun on a Busa......but there are much better roads in the area that are MUCH better. 28 leading from the CROT is IMO better than the Gap. You WILL have a blast riding those roads.

Kevin
info@mrcycles.com

smile.gif

Oh you should come Michelle, there will be plenty of us out there to ride with and believe me, we all ride slow the first few times through. Hope you can make it
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

The Dragon is fun on a Busa......but there are much better roads in the area that are MUCH better. 28 leading from the CROT is IMO better than the Gap. You WILL have a blast riding those roads.

Kevin
info@mrcycles.com
I agree about the dragon, I was disappointed. I had been staying in Tenn and rode across the Cherohola to get to the dragon. The Cherohola in my opinion was more fun, nice curves, you can take it at a much higher speed than the dragon.
wink.gif

I miss Deals. However, being from Memphis it was quite the ride to get there compared to some great riding just around the corner here in Colorado. Glad you a good and safe ride.

Back