Starting issue????

DStroyer

Registered
I have an 03 with a power commander. I cannot start the bike using the push button. I assumed the starter relay was bad, so I replaced it. I still have the same problem. I can jump the battery directly to the starter, and it runs perfect, no codes, and no issues with the starter. All the fuses are good, lights work, fuel pump turns on, bike runs, and the push button switch is completely intact. I tried jumping the 2 wires on the push switch, but it still did nothing. I traced the wires back as far as I could, and I do not see any shorts in them. Is it possible that the fuse relay is bad?? Has anytone else had this problem???

Short of replacing a bunch of parts Im sure I dont need, Im totally lost on this one.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

A couple of stupid things that I can think of to check:
1. The kickstand switch may be stuck... just chack and be sure that the kickstand switch is not sticking or the wires aren't messed up..
2. Under the left side of the bar switch housing, check the connector that goes int he back side and see if it has backed of, this is for the clutch start interlok...

The service manual has a pretty good diagram and troubleshooting section on the starter system and the interlock starting on page 7-11. Clutch switch seem to be one of the most common problems however. The manual is downloadable in the maintenance area.

Whaaaloooaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a TON guys. It was the clutch wires. Gave them a wiggle and she fired right up..

Thanks again,

Gary

beerchug.gif
Where else can you fix your bike on the internet in 78 minutes!

What took so long!!!!!!!
hello.gif

When I had an issue before, i would just search this site and usually found the answer within minutes from old posts. Not many forums can do that these days, without sorting thru piles of useless garbage to find it. This site has helped me out tremedously. Not sure if anyone remembers my machine, but Im the one that turbo charged the Busa in a Bombardier atv frame. Ive never turbo charged anything before, so I researched this site to find most of the issues I was going to have, and took care of them as I was building. I have now been running for an entire season without a motor problem. (knock on wood). I will be tearing it down this winter and replacing bearings and a few other things, just so the motor is fresh next year.

Anyway,
Thanks again guys,
Gary

Back