Starter motor will not run....Help guys.

Warputer

Father of 4=Madness
Donating Member
Registered
At first I thought it would be the battery, so I replaced her with a new one. Still nothing, not even a click. Something is holding it out because when I run a hot wire to the starter relay, it works great.

The things I've already checked & they're good:

Starter relay
starter motor lead wire
ignition switch
engine stop switch
clutch lever position switch
gear position switch
sidestand relay
starter button

I'm missing something though...any ideas guys ?

whats the gear on the motor look like (where the starter goes)? sometimes those like to get stripped.

whats the gear on the motor look like (where the starter goes)? sometimes those like to get stripped.

Well ...when I bypass "everything" with a hot wire to the starter relay, she turns over just fine. So something electronic is holding out the signal to the starter......we just can't figure out what. :banghead:

Hey Chris check the wiring harness over really good man you might have a ground some were or better yet you might have had a rat get in there and he work his majic bro seen this problem a couple times at the shop and it was a ground issue :beerchug:

Hey Chris check the wiring harness over really good man you might have a ground some were or better yet you might have had a rat get in there and he work his majic bro seen this problem a couple times at the shop and it was a ground issue :beerchug:

Hey bro....I know, this is the biggest part of this nightmare. A bad ground/loose wire somewhere in the miles of crap that is run on these bikes.....:banghead: It just dosen't make any sence....following the scematics in the manual, I have power and the proper ohms to everything , relays, fuses, switches......the only thing that was a little iffy was the ohm reading on the side stand switch.....it changed when you activated the switch but the reading was way too high for what the manual called for.

Chris very possible then that you may have a bad side stand switch I know others here also had that issure have you tried disableing the switch? I was thinking a ground as well because a couple of busa that ran through our shop had rubbed the wire down through the insulation and were grounding out on the frame. But I would try disabling the Side Stand switch and see if that cures your problem if it does then you know what the problem is

Chris very possible then that you may have a bad side stand switch I know others here also had that issure have you tried disableing the switch? I was thinking a ground as well because a couple of busa that ran through our shop had rubbed the wire down through the insulation and were grounding out on the frame. But I would try disabling the Side Stand switch and see if that cures your problem if it does then you know what the problem is

As far as disabling the side stand switch....got an idea how to do it? I unhooked it , where it plugs into the main harness but it didn't help any.

Thanks for the input guys !!! :bowdown:

I think you can just jumper the wires Chris. I would do a quick search to see if there are any how 2's

Well....found the problem tonight.....and I never would've guessed this was the issue. We narrowed down the problem to the starter button. After the tedious job of tearing into the right side switches( major pain in the ass ), we found a tiny little pebble/rock that was keeping the starter button from hitting the back 2 contacts....there are 4 contacts, by the way. How in the world does a rock make it's way into the switches ???!!!! :banghead: Anyway....all is good and she's running well again. Thank you to everyone for the feedback & support !!! :thumbsup:

Tomorrow I'm ridin' !!!!

Back