Starting issues

BEAR731

Registered
Ok fellas, I have a '14 busa that won't start. I cleaned her up nicely, rode it to front yard,went in to get dressed came out pushed the button and no start. Now, I've checked the battery(13.5), the fuses, I can jump the relay and it starts. So I figured that it's a bad relay,4 relays and 2 start buttons later same thing. I've checked all wires I can think of. What am I missing?

Does anything happen? Do the dash lights dim or go out when the starter button is pushed?

Did you check the main ground wire from frame to battery and make sure it is clean and not broken or worn?

What has been done to the bike lately? Any work which may lead to something being disturbed?

Last edited:
Does anything happen? Do the dash lights dim or go out when the starter button is pushed?

Did you check the main ground wire from frame to battery and make sure it is clean and not broken or worn?

What has been done to the bike lately? Any work which may lead to something being disturbed?
Everything comes on as normal(light,fuel pump), when I push the start button headlight dims

Everything comes on as normal(light,fuel pump), when I push the start button headlight dims
Sure sounds like a grounding issue for some reason

There seems to be no power getting to the starter..I'd check and re-check all the leads going to the starter...even take them off and check/clean them all.

Last edited:
Sure sounds like a grounding issue for some reason

There seems to be no power getting to the starter..I'd check and re-check all the leads going to the starter...even take them off and check/clean them all.
But I can touch both sides of the relay and it starts right up

After the fourth relay I checked them all,and they worked fine
You've got me stumped. It's hard to diagnose from a key board unfortunately.

It seems like you have everything covered...if you can bypass the relay and it starts, common sense says it's the relay, but you've replaced it with a known good relay so I am stumped.

Sounds like it needs to go into a shop.

But I can touch both sides of the relay and it starts right up
So the relay is NOT being triggered by the start button . . correct?
Check for batt voltage at the connector plug going on to the relay, and also check the 30 amp fuse on top of the relay with a test light or multimeter for batt voltage on both sides of the fuse.
Heres a basic trouble shooting flow chart to help . . .

IMG_3005.JPG

IMG_3006.JPG

IMG_3007.JPG

You've got me stumped. It's hard to diagnose from a key board unfortunately.

It seems like you have everything covered...if you can bypass the relay and it starts, common sense says it's the relay, but you've replaced it with a known good relay so I am stumped.

Sounds like it needs to go into a shop.
Lol, never fear, Kiwi's here!!

When I was riding I noticed the gear indicator would change with out me shifting, could that have anything to do with it

Back