Only starts if jumped across solenoid.

GroundnPound

Registered
My Gen 1 Busa wont start. When I push the start button I can hear a click, but it doesn't turn over. So I jumped it across the relay solenoid and it fire right up. GREAT! Solenoid replaced but problem persists. Next I replaced the Panasonic relay that sits in front of relay solenoid and still nothing. Im at a loss.

My Gen 1 Busa wont start. When I push the start button I can hear a click, but it doesn't turn over. So I jumped it across the relay solenoid and it fire right up. GREAT! Solenoid replaced but problem persists. Next I replaced the Panasonic relay that sits in front of relay solenoid and still nothing. Im at a loss.
Check battery voltage/ amps

Check the battery terminal connections, starter relay connections, battery testing voltage (should be 12.6v or more) battery state of charge and load test the battery after fully charging it.
It’s gonna be a battery or connections related issue. . .

Check the battery terminal connections, starter relay connections, battery testing voltage (should be 12.6v or more) battery state of charge and load test the battery after fully charging it.
It’s gonna be a battery or connections related issue. . .
Battery is completely charged, I cleaned the terminals and all contact points.

I interpreted that he used the same bike battery to successfully start it while bypassing part of the circuit. Is not the solenoid replacement the next questionable item?
He said he had already replaced it . . .

"My Gen 1 Busa wont start. When I push the start button I can hear a click, but it doesn't turn over. So I jumped it across the relay solenoid and it fire right up. GREAT! Solenoid replaced but problem persists. Next I replaced the Panasonic relay that sits in front of relay solenoid and still nothing. Im at a loss" . . .

He said he had already replaced it . . .

I meant "Is not the replacement solenoid part that is currently in the bike the next item to question?". But you make me reconsider that now. In any case there are resistance and continuity tests for these components in the starter troubleshooting section ("i" section for gen 2) of the service manual. Always test, never assume a good part.

Ok, but did you load test it?
easy way of load testing it is to check the voltage drop while cranking the engine with the starter motor . . around 10v is pretty good . . below 9v and the battery has a fault.
Didn't do a load test, but I did put my battery charger on the bike and set it to crank while trying to start the bike. I'm convinced the battery is not the issue.

The relay in front of it is the Fuel Pump relay.
You need to test the wires out of the right hand switch and make sure it is 12 volts go to the solenoid

Back