Starter went clunk!!!

STUNNAH

THE "STUNGUN" IS BACK!&#33
Donating Member
Registered
Was starting the bike the other day and I assume it was the starter that went clunk...Scared the shat out of me...I thought it had blown up...Anyway this was the first time...02 Busa and I've ready Kerberros' post of the problem with the 02 Busa and it's less than perfect starter...I've also read that this is not a recall issue but came in the form of a service bulletin...No problem ext. warranty...Anyway after the first clunk I know it only gets worst...What are the worst starter experiences some of you have had...I've got a big weekend planned and the Busa is included but if I can't get the starter straight the Busa want be attending...Is it safe to start or not???
evil.gif

I suppose you could push start it! ;-)

Just the other day, mine ('03) started to kick over, then gave a whine and stopped kicking over whereupon I immediately released the starter button. When I tried it again, it started fine.

I'm not sure if this is the same problem yours is having and it's giving me the sweats. I'm glad I got the extended warranty at least!

I'll take it to the mechanic this weekend and let you know how it goes.

--Wag--

I suppose you could push start it!  ;-)

Just the other day, mine ('03) started to kick over, then gave a whine and stopped kicking over whereupon I immediately released the starter button.  When I tried it again, it started fine.

I'm not sure if this is the same problem yours is having and it's giving me the sweats.  I'm glad I got the extended warranty at least!

I'll take it to the mechanic this weekend and let you know how it goes.

--Wag--
That's the sound a whine...Like the gear was spinning freely then clunk...I hope to have mine worked out by the weekend also...
evil.gif

Hi Gang...PaceM had a starter issue also....But Jester had a biggy... If it starts to grab..and clunk--slips grabs.....I got the parts i needed to fix it for free from my dealer....You need a starter clutch sprague unit......It is the piece that bolts directly on the end of the crankshaft...a gear with one way roller bearings in it.
Hope i helped... Even if it's out of warranty..you could get lucky..I hope so.
Ps..safest to start a Busa with no throttle.....On....You don't want it to kick back.
I live at high altitude....makes it a slightly less issue...
wow.gif

If the starter gear lets go and it brakes the case you Won't be able to push start it. Just ask Jester. His let go out in CA two years ago and the bike was down for the rest of the trip. His broke in such a way that it would lock the engine up and you couldn't turn it over at all. I hope this is not what you are going through.

Got it fixed...Had the dealer install a new 03 starter assembly...No starting problems at all now...Glad I took care of it before any major issue...
evil.gif

Man I love ext. warranty...
biggrin.gif

Got it fixed...Had the dealer install a new 03 starter assembly...No starting problems at all now...Glad I took care of it before any major issue...  
evil.gif

Man I love ext. warranty...  
biggrin.gif
Hey Stunnah, I hope you had him put in the heavy duty idler gear like we talked about. Did you?
rock.gif

BTW, my starter went out a couple months ago. I was too late to get the extended warranty so I had to up the money myself to fix it. Actually the way the idler gear is designed and the high compression of the Busa motor causes the problem. Especially a problem if you're trying to start the bike on a low-charged battery. I wound up having to replace the entire starter and idler gear. What's really fugged up is that the starter still works fine, but the little gear on the end of it is worn whereas it can't make contact with the idler gear. The idler gear was worn all around the gears. The new and improved heavy duty idler gear is wider and makes more contact on the starter gear. I wound up paying $250 for a new starter from Ron Ayers and another $270 for the heavy duty idler gear at Schnitz racing. Could have saved myself about $20 if I would have seen them at Hayabusazone.com for $250.
mad.gif

Brian

Back