Starter or Starter Clutch?

Jamesxxx

Registered
Ok so This is my first busa , My girlfriend let me ride hers an I fell in love lol so I bought my own.
Honestly ive always ridden harleys but anyways , When I go to start the bike.
The engine turns over fine , Maybe a little slow?
But when it starts to start it clunks or a weird noise Sounds like maybe the starter is disenguaging?
Anyways , Once it starts to start it stops...
Also After this aintful process of starting it if it takes to long The Fuel Injection light comes on....Is that a big deal?
It's a 2002 busa.

Stop cranking it,either upgrade to 03 up starter set up or buy a new starter clutch and the case protector,if it kicks back it can cause costly damage...

The fi light will come on if during starting it fires, shuts off and you restart it before the fuel pump has reprimed. Its very common. No worries. Fix the starting issue. the 03 and newer bikes have a limiter assembly that prevents the engine from kicking back when trying to start. On the 99-02 bikes, if the battery is weak or something causes the engine to turn over slowly while starting the air and fuel will ignite before top dead center and try to halt the engine or spin it backwards. When it would, the starter gear would jam up and the force often cracks the case. In the 03-07 busa, suzuki put a starter with a longer bendix or gear and it drives a limiter that prevents the kickback. The upgrade requires a new starter the assembly and a new cover. But there is a bushing out there that reinforces the case preventing the crack. Its the more affordable preventative measure but I suggest checking your battery cables and starter to mke sure its getting the juice it needs to spin over fast enough and not kick back. The battery is barely sufficient so most keep it on a tender when parked as a backup.

don't worry about the fi light. But do take the starter clutch cover off and thoroughly inspect the case before proceeding. Might want to pick up a new gasket before you get started
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok so This is my first busa , My girlfriend let me ride hers an I fell in love lol so I bought my own.
Honestly ive always ridden harleys but anyways , When I go to start the bike.
The engine turns over fine , Maybe a little slow?
But when it starts to start it clunks or a weird noise Sounds like maybe the starter is disenguaging?
Anyways , Once it starts to start it stops...
Also After this aintful process of starting it if it takes to long The Fuel Injection light comes on....Is that a big deal?
It's a 2002 busa.

:welcome: to the Org.
As you can see, people know your trouble and will be more than willing to help.:beerchug:
Hope everything works out for you!:thumbsup:

If i have the billet idler gear and case saver do i need to upgrade to the -03 setup?

Those were bandaids, if you want to solve the issue, yes go 03 up. If needed I have low usage complete used kits with all gaskets.

...... Fix the starting issue. the 03 and newer bikes have a limiter assembly that prevents the engine from kicking back when trying to start. On the 99-02 bikes, if the battery is weak or something causes the engine to turn over slowly while starting the air and fuel will ignite before top dead center and try to halt the engine or spin it backwards. When it would, the starter gear would jam up and the force often cracks the case. In the 03-07 busa, suzuki put a starter with a longer bendix or gear and it drives a limiter that prevents the kickback. The upgrade requires a new starter the assembly and a new cover. But there is a bushing out there that reinforces the case preventing the crack. Its the more affordable preventative measure but I suggest checking your battery cables and starter to mke sure its getting the juice it needs to spin over fast enough and not kick back. The battery is barely sufficient so most keep it on a tender when parked as a backup.

OK guys, our 2003 engine has the bushing to prevent case cracking, we have the starter clutch set up, but yet, the motor backed up and we've popped our second starter in two weeks (ARGH!). We even have a dual battery 24 volt system. Had the starter clutch looked at yesterday and it appears to be good. Any thoughts?

Feff

A must do upgrade for that year!
Stop cranking it,either upgrade to 03 up starter set up or buy a new starter clutch and the case protector,if it kicks back it can cause costly damage...

OK guys, our 2003 engine has the bushing to prevent case cracking, we have the starter clutch set up, but yet, the motor backed up and we've popped our second starter in two weeks (ARGH!). We even have a dual battery 24 volt system. Had the starter clutch looked at yesterday and it appears to be good. Any thoughts?

Feff
What is done to your motor?

No idea if it's relevant here but anyway, my starter clutch looked totally fine but seems to have been worn out. Replaced it yesterday and haven't had a kickback yet. They used to appear at at least 3-4 starts out of ten. I have started it maybe 30 times today without driving and nothing, just took a testdrive with a few stops and still not one kickback.

Forgot to say thanks for the advices to Goldenchild. Since i already had spent too much on the starter idler gear and billet covers, shorai battery etc. i obviously took the other advice and replaced the starter clutch and it SEEMS to have worked, thanks a million

Back