A Word to the wise.

gonna have pipes installed soon will have to see if they can do mine while in the shop.. hopefully they can ..since bike is out of warranty.

OWN A O2 LIMITED JUNE 2003 LEAVING A EVENT HIT STARTER AND IT DIDN'T SOUND GOOD DEALER HAD BIKE FOR 3 WEEKS COVERED EVERYTHING CAUSE STARTER CLUTCH

Well call me a worry wart... I have never had a problem with the starter but why wait. I called schnitz racing and ordered the starter heavy duty gear and nose ring for the starter (ring to protect the case) Its the start of the season and its time for a chain and sprockets, so its time to put things right. Oil change and spark plugs to... I could think of nothing worse then to try to start the bike in front of a ton of people and have it poop the bed (blow up the starter and crack the case)

bike_model_anim.gif

The first busa I bought was a used (640 mi) silver/grey 2002. Second day I had her the starter ground down to powder and cracked the case. I got lucky and the owner gave a a brand new 2002 black/blue off the showroom floor for 200 dollars more. Now I work for Tucson Motorsports and I get the inside poop. There is a recall for the starter clutch in the 2002 busa. If any of you have noticed a significant "clunk" when trying to start your 2002 busa. Be very careful. What is happening is the compression being so high, the starter is being turned backwards when you are trying to turn it forwards. I have all the parts ordered on a repair order free of charge from suzuki. You can do the same. Go to your dealer and tell them that sometimes when you start her that you hear and feel a big "clunk" like the starter is being thrown backwards and that you have heard there is a recall on the starter clutch of the 2002 busa. They will order all new parts including the starter to fix this problem. The 2003 has a starter gear 3 times as massive and incorporates a torque limiter so if the engine tries to shoot backwards the starter clutch wil slip instead of cracking the casing. I think captain should pin this to the top for a time so it does not get buried in the threads.

Thanks

I can post the exact numbers of the recall and every part needed to be replaced if anyone has some problem with their dealer.

k
<span style='color:blue'></span>

That sucks. Good info though. I assume 2001 models are good to go?

Thanks for the info gang...very useful...
My 01 had a slipping sprague...... This is the starter piece that bolts on the end of the crankshaft.
All is good now but i live a 5000 feet..less compression ...less violent kickback. May invest in a HD battery and that titanium sleeve.
smile.gif

Thanks for the info gang...very useful...
My 01 had a slipping sprague......  This is the starter piece that bolts on the end of the crankshaft.
All is good now but i live a 5000 feet..less compression ...less violent kickback. May invest in a HD battery and that titanium sleeve.  
smile.gif
wise decision grasshopper...
biggrin.gif

I just got off the phone with Suzuki. I asked them about this bulletin and they told me that it is only to let dealers know that the updated parts will work on all Busas. If the starter fails due to manufactures defect and the bike is still under warrenty it will be covered. If the bike is out of warrenty then it's the owner expense.

So basically if you have a BUSA older than 2003, you may have the starter problem, and if it wasn't fixed before you are out of luck now.

I had a problem with my 2000 busa fragging the starter gears and they covered the repair (extented
warranty) but not without a fight with the dealer and suzuki. You see, the dealer went over the suggested time to repair it and try'd getting it from me. and when suzuki told me the difference was between me and the dealer i flipped out. after telling them i wasn't paying a dime and that it wasn't my problem that the dealer went over srt (warranty standard repair time) they payed the claim but not with out alot of BS. I love my busa but i'm not happy with suzuki.

Classic, spinning starter started after a few compression kick backs. The kick backs prombted by a bad battery. For while got the starter to catch by pushing the bike a few feet let the clutch out.
Had it apart to check what parts, thinking busted gears and chewed up metal. Didn't find anything everything looked good. Did notice why 2003 idler gears are better then 2002 gear. 2002 idler gear only catches last 3/4" of the starter motor shaft. By the parts diagrams the 2003 idler gear is much wider to catch more surface on the starter gear.
Replaced the actual starter clutch gear set. Pictured is the parts set. This is the new starter clutch.

050410brf017.jpg

Pictured is the worn starter clutch. Some spalding on the starter cam bearing races is only noticable difference. Imagine it's the close tolerances that makes the starter clutch grip. The worn starter clutch is out of tolerance. Can tell very well how the cam shaped bearings might be worn. Anyrate worn starter clutch doesn't show signs of excessive wear, but it doesn't function for sure.
Replaced the starter clutch no problem starting now.

050410brf021.jpg

My 02 started occasionally "popping" while starting about a month and a half back.  It never had a kickback, just the starter clutch slipping, then grabbing in a loud pop.  I had read this thread about a week before it started, so I tried the inexpensive fixes first (I'm currently a poor mofro.)-a battery tender, always starting in neutral and no throttle opening, then an ST1300 battery(YTZ14S), praying that every time I start the bike, I wouldn't frag the engine.  I even experimented with the idea of reducing starter load by interrupting power to the coils until after the engine was spun up.  I found that wouldn't work after I disconnected the coils and hit the starter button.  It still popped.  The praying worked, but the popping started happening EVERY time I started her.  I finally decided to park her until I could replace the starter clutch.  Since replacing the starter clutch, I've had no problems (so much relief!).  My old one looked just like the one pictured in Bronto's post.  IMHO, Suzuki had a bad run of starter clutches that were too soft (different vendor?).  I eventually will upgrade to the heavier duty 03 parts, but I'm glad the new 02 replacement starter clutch allows me to start my bike without worry!

Good riding to all,
Karl

To ad to this old thread---a heavy duty battery is the best insurance against broken parts.
My sprauge clutch failed too---slip grab pop---warranty replaced it. mines an 01. i still have the orig batt and she kicked back the other day--st1300 batt fit's==great info.

Back