A Word to the wise.

I guess that s what happens to my busa...i have a 2002 se,and two days ago i couldn t start the bike,make a noise and that s it. I have a question for u guys,if i push start,do you think it s gona start,sorry but i need to know because otherwise i have torent a trailer.Thanks.How hard is to replace this part? do you think i can do it bymyself?thanks again...

<!--EDIT|Veloz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119198951 -->

can i do it myself?where to get it,the dealer wants $341.00,thanks
It makes a noise like ring ,not pops at all,it did before.

<!--EDIT|Veloz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119285059 -->

(Veloz @ June 19 2005,05
super.gif
) I guess that s what happens to my busa...i have a 2002 se,and two days ago i couldn t start the bike,make a noise and that s it. I have a question for u guys,if i push start,do you think it s gona start,sorry but i need to know because otherwise i have torent a trailer.Thanks.How hard is to replace this part?  do you think i can do it bymyself?thanks again...
What kind of noise did it make?  Did the starter motor just whirr, or did you hear a loud pop, then nothing?  Has it ever popped while starting?

Changing the starter clutch is not hard, if you have any mechanical aptitude.  The biggest deal is that you pretty much have to use an impact wrench to REMOVE the bolt on the crank, if you do not have the factory tool to keep the crank from spinning.

can i do it myself?thanks. where to buy,the dealer here in NY wants $ 341.00. any better places?

<!--EDIT|Veloz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1119265118 -->

i wonder what ever happened to Kerberos... he was a trip and a half..

you newb members missed out.. I'm tellin ya.. haha

-signed by PuRE_eGO
by order of the king, i release all resposibility of being a normal human being #4568675309

I have a busa 2002 se,and i am having problem starting the bike,i after posted here i red this post and got the part and tonight,i did myself,i am very proud because i am a new biker.
The bike is starting beutful,,,and i am happy.Thanks again all

it came up on my 2002 busa a few weeks ago,now i gonna change old the starter clutch for a new model one,is that possible?Earlier in the thread someone mentioned about that its not possible to do this?So what are my options??

I just read "word to the wise" and just about crapped myself. When I dropped the bike off at the shop I was showing a mechanic and watched them push the start button multiple times to listen and show others the sound. Also the bike wouldn't start. Is there a tale tell sign that its cracked or am I going to have to see red until the call me with the damage report?

I just read "word to the wise" and just about crapped myself. When I dropped the bike off at the shop I was showing a mechanic and watched them push the start button multiple times to listen and show others the sound. Also the bike wouldn't start. Is there a tale tell sign that its cracked or am I going to have to see red until the call me with the damage report?
Starters and or weak batteries caused some problems on 99-02 Busa's....they improved the starter in 03 and they don't have any more problems with them now.

It was never a official recall  
sad.gif

Starters and or weak batteries caused some problems on 99-02 Busa's....they improved the starter in 03 and they don't have any more problems with them now.

It was never a official recall  
sad.gif
[/QUOTE]
I purchased a new battery that day thinking the battery was the problem. The shop stated that its possibly a starter clutch problem and they will investigate. I'd like to know how much damage could have been caused. The first time it wouldn't crank over was at the shop.

The 99-02 starters were a problem, I doubt that you have any more warranty
coverage on your bike....and you might need a starter. I have a 03 so I have not had
to go through this, sometimes when the starter goes out it takes out the case
and then it gets expensive
sad.gif

Could you elaborate on case. Are we talking hundreds or thousand of $'s. Is there anyway immediate way to tell if the case is cracked?

Had my K2 Busa for about 5 months, done 5000 miles on it.
Bought it with 9800 miles on the clock as a one owner, dealer supplied and serviced model.
Rode to work (about 100 miles) and stopeed with no problems.
Got on it at night and went to start it - clunk - no warning, just clunked and started spinning!
Had to get home so bump started it and rode it home with no problems.
At home I stripped it down and found this!!

Worst thing is that if you look at the last picture, it looks like the thing had been welded before and it broke at the weld.

Dealer and Suzuki don't want to know so I have sent the case to be repaired properly (£200 ish). Just ordered all the part to fix it and the bill, with me doing all the work is around £500.  
Will now do the electrical mod (earth the starter), get a bigger battery - any idea on the Part numer for the ugraded battery?
What is the 'sleeve' that people talk about and can I get it in the UK?

busastarter.jpg

Even though this is an old post, because it is pinned perhaps someone needs this information. I just did a write up with pic's about installing a Titanium ring around the part that usually breaks. It's in the "mod" section for anyone interested.
cool.gif

So I take it because of how old the recall is there is no way in hell the dealers will still replace all this stuff?
argue.gif

Should I buy a new clutch starter at this point and replace it? I am reading they crack cases. Are we talking engine case? cause is so I need to know what to buy so I dont do this. I wanna save the money before I have to spend a ton.

I had an 02 silver/silver that had this problem after about 6k miles. Suzuki covered most of the work back in 2003. It was something that I had to get the dealership to call suzuki about. Of course the dealership said at first that there arent any problems with the starter & that if there was that I would have to pay for it. Gotta love dealerships..
Make them call suzuki!

Hey Guys,
I'm new to this board as this is my very first post. I had this starter kick back problem two years ago which cracked my case. I had about 4500 miles on the bike when this occured. I bought a 2004 engine and had that installed so I'm left with this engine from the 02 that has a cracked case. I have pictures of it that I can show people. I saved the engine incase I needed any parts from it but 12,000 miles later on the 2004 engine it's still running strong. My parents are moving and the engine is in there basement so I'm looking to get rid of the whole thing. I have no idea what this engine is worth so I'm looking for some answers on a fair price on what its worth. I'm gonna eventually put it inthe paper or craigslist in my area so I'm not trying to ask an outragious price and rip someone off and at the same time I don't wanna sell it for pennies on what its worth. Long story short... How much money do you think this engine is worth? Thanks!

Pat

Back