Stage I vs. Stage III

Everybody always wants more "BOOST" go ahead and build it right and strong enough to handle 20lbs of boost. Remember three things: Quality system...Quality install...Quality tune! you will have a bike then that rides and performs great.

Man, I can't imagine my bike with 400hp, what they hell would you do with it?

beerchug.gif

What would you do with 400+ hp?? Whatever you wanted and TRY to keep it between the ditches
cool.gif

I just don't get what the big deal with having 400+ hp on a bike? I just can't see it, unless your dragging the bike at the strip, maybe then. For the street, I just don't need that much power, might just be me!

beerchug.gif

I just don't get what the big deal with having 400+ hp on a bike?  I just can't see it, unless your dragging the bike at the strip, maybe then.  For the street, I just don't need that much power, might just be me!

beerchug.gif
400HP IS A BLAST ON THE STREET. You have to have a boost controller though. I use 230 in 1st... 270 in 2nd... 300 in 3rd... 340 in 4th... 400 in 5th and 6th. Also your suspension has to be set up correctly. Most people extend there bikes to far back.{4 in. extended on the street is about max}and all they do is spin. Also ramping your boost to come in a little more gradual helps also. I love rolling into 400+ hp in 6th gear and raping all those guys starting in 2nd rolling from 60mph.

I'm going to be running my stock wheel base bike to about 350hp this summer. That should be fun! I'm in the process of rebuilding my motor with lots of good parts. Hopefully I'll have it going by the middle of May. I'll post some picks of the build up when I start.

If you dont want to dig into the motor, then you are limited to a stage 1. Even with a stage 1, I'd at least get a spacer to lower compression. All the good stage 1's are upgradable.

Go ahead and get the spacer i say, at least. But only pay for it to be installed. Get this book

423.554.600x400.4184cover.jpg

to show you step by step with pictures on how to pull the motor out and install it along with a bunch of other helpful info. I bought it and did my own for the first time. Get some s2000 inj and run around 300whp. Boost is fun and addicting. Or just buy the book, get the kit and in the winter sell your motor and get a built motor. But for this time around get the kit and install it yourself so you'll have the knowledge so your next install you'll be good.

Where can you find that book at? How difficult would it be to do this yourself? With new internals and the turbo? How much $ would I save in labor by doing it myself? I would still need to get someone to custom map it right?

The service manual is free under the maintanence section of the forum. It has all the specs and procedures for an overhaul. You would save $$ if you have the tools and ability.

You'll save alot of time and money if you pull/install the motor yourself. so long as you can read and have the tools go for it. I still say just get the stg1 kit installed (by you) and run it this summer, get use to boost, have alot of fun, then take it all apart (motor etc) and upgrade in the snowtime. Yeah you'll still need a custom map but that will be made for you as you get it dyno'd. Go ahead and spend that 4100 or whatever and be boosted in 4-5 wks. Learn, save, repeat!

How would you go about upgrading a stage one? Just build the motor to handle more boost then turn it up? What kind of hp is capable of a stage I?

The difference between the stg1 and 2 is the stg2 uses 4 more injectors and has a controller to control those injectors basically. There are a few ways to upgrade a stg1. You can get a bov, water injection or add an intercooler. But it doesn't matter if your motor can only handle a tad under 300whp. Folks with just a bolt on stg1 (which uses a fmu and powercommander and 4 injectors-s2000) and no motor work (spacer) get between 250-290whp which is a blast. Or you can get a spacer and get 290-330whp. The problem is you'll have the motor out and apart so it makes sense to do transmission mods, rods and gaskets and that costs, but who wants to pull the motor twice. Which is why I say just bolt on the stg1 and save up for some big motor mods and pull the motor once in the winter.

Back