Stage I Horsepower w/Exhaust, 2 maps for dump

stepaukob

Registered
I want to add a turbo but I live in Massachusetts. My local motorcycle shop won't even pass inspection with the license plate moved so I've contemplated adding turbo.

I see that kits do offer a more full exhaust vs dump.

What horsepower ranges would I see on an '02, stage I, with exhaust vs dump?

Could I have the bike tuned for both so I could run exhaust when I wanted and dump when I wanted?

Thanks for any info

LOL...the place I get my inspection from glances at the bike, takes my $ and logs it passed into the computer and off I go. We have no stickers here anymore.

As long as your tuned rich, 11.5:1, I would think one map would work for both applications.

I agree . . .

One map would "work" but there are differences because of backpressure in how the turbo itself will spool and what the resultant horsepower will be. For this reason, the idea of two maps is not necessarily a bad one. Whenever internal gates are involved, a turbo will have a tendency to spike more with a dump pipe then it will with a full exhaust - something else that may come into play, depending on what kit you purchase.

I would do two maps - there will be subtle differences between the maps, but there will be differences. I just don't feel comfortable recommending one map, patting a customer on the back, and sending him out the door to have many miles of fun . . .

The only way to be safe with one map is to have it tuned with the dump pipe- the map will end up being fatter with the full exhaust, and it may not run the best it can with that particular exhaust, but at least it will be safe!:cheerleader:

One other question, I've seen this asked but I didn't see a great answer.

Would it be safe to ride a newly installed turbo to a dyno tuner. I know tuning is important but I would rather ride to a reputable tuner if possible.

Also, what is realistic HP for HAHN STAGE ONE TURBO with the exhaust? Again, thanks for info

Spacer plate, valvesprings, full pipe, and a safe tune made 239hp on mine @7psi. But I would be scared to ride it without a fuel map and no timing pulled out. No matter what Hahn's manuel says don't ride it without a map.

I've thought about this before. The problem I have is that I wanted a bike that would still pass inspection but I didn't like the HP loss (although I haven't inspected my 'busa for the last 3 years, lol).

I've been rethinking things and for what type of riding I do, dump pipes would be just fine as I generally don't do long distance travel. I guess I could have someone modify my original header just so I could throw a pipe on for inspection.

In Western MA. I could probably trailer it but I hate asking anyone to help as I'm sure it would take the better part of the day to have it dynoed given the travel time it would take me.

Back